Gibson Brands Forums

Post your vintage Japanese guitar.

Geert1976

I know they are out there...... standing in the rack, next to your Gibson.

No shame please, just post them.

I will start:

My 1977 Custom by Matsumoku SG double neck (yes yes, my Stairway to Heaven guitar)

Its heavy its big, but plays en sounds nice and Gibson hated Matsumoku for making this kopie, because its so good.

009-50.jpg

010-41.jpg

011-34.jpg

013-24.jpg

And a 1979 Epiphone SC 550-B "Scroll", also made by Matsumoku Japan.

fully original, with an ebony fretboard

001-104.jpg

002-107.jpg

003-95.jpg

004-93.jpg

005-85.jpg

006-72.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're overreacting. These aren't fakes. If they were fakes they would say Gibson on them. These are not trying to fool someone into thinking it's a Gibson when it's not.

That €piphone is sweet. I've never seen one before. I'll have to look that model up.

I'll play along.

based on my research, I (along with others) believe this to be a 1973 or 1974 Ibanez. This is the first transformation.

LPfull.jpg

As it is now (needs some more work):

guitarsIbanezLPtransformation2001.jpg

I have 3 other Japanese guitars but I would not consider them "vintage."

First of all there is no such thing as a "vintage" Japanese guitar. Look up the definition of "vintage" in the dictionary.

Second:

Theres a diffrence between copies and fakes dude.

demOOn, your absolutely right, yes there is a difference. A "copy" is only in violation of U.S. Patent laws, a "fake" is in violation of Patent AND Trademark laws.

First of all there is no such thing as a "vintage" Japanese guitar. Look up the definition of "vintage" in the dictionary.

vin·tage /'v?nt?d?/ Show Spelled [vin-tij] Show IPA noun' date=' adjective, verb, -taged, -tag·ing.

–noun

1. the wine from a particular harvest or crop.

2. the annual produce of the grape harvest, esp. with reference to the wine obtained.

3. an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year.

4. the time of gathering grapes, or of winemaking.

5. the act or process of producing wine; winemaking.

6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage.

This thread has officially been pissed on [thumbup

Oh, for the love of...

This guys starts a good thread and some people post cool pics of cool gear. That, in my opinion, should be what this thread should be about; not an argument over whether something is a fake or a copy or a rip-off or a Smurf or whatever. And not an argument over what the definition of "vintage" is.

Really, can some of you lighten up and and just enjoy the ride?

I wish I had a - I'll use the word - vintage Japanese guitar to share; I've enjoyed looking at some pics of those who do.

Oh' date=' for the love of...

This guys starts a good thread and some people post cool pics of cool gear. That, in my opinion, should be what this thread should be about; not an argument over whether something is a fake or a copy or a rip-off or a Smurf or whatever. And not an argument over what the definition of "vintage" is.

[/quote']

That's why I made that previous post. To point out the snobbery. I could not find an appropriate picture so I posted the definition. some people are just in a sour mood it seems.

That's why I made that previous post. To point out the snobbery. I could not find an appropriate picture so I posted the definition. some people are just in a sour mood it seems.

You are absolutely right. I can't believe what some people want to nit-pick about.

Fake or copy, I don't really care. This one has followed me everywhere. I bought it when I was 16 or 17. I'm 48 now. This is part of my history and a really nice guitar to play. I spent around $700 on hardware replacements last year and don"t regret a thing.

It was built in the Kasuga factory in Japan (I researched) for the Canadian market under the brand name Northern.

If you can see in the picture, the fret markers are maple leafs.

It is definitely a LP replica, but a beautifully built guitar in its own right. Great craftmanship. It isn't a Gibson. Doesn't pretend to be one. It is what it is.

I also have a couple of Gibsons that are superior guitars but the old girl still gets regular excercise.

IMG_0059.jpg

Dave

Larry...

I dunno... the Japanese, at least Ibanez, seemed to have done quite well in the 1970s copying Gibson designs at least and selling them under their own label - but so close otherwise that they lost that famed patent infringement suit.

Frankly I don't think since then that there's been quite the quality in a lotta ways and the Japanese seem to me to have ended up pretty much like the U.S. marketplace in that hand-made stuff by top-end craftsmen is awfully pricey while a lotta their "mass market" stuff gets made elsewhere.

Back in the 50s and 60s no half decent Japanese guitars could be found in any guitar stores where I was hanging out. It was kinda like the comments made of early Japanese motorcycles that you could see what brand of U.S. beer can was used for the engine. Now look. Traditionally the only things I don't think the Japanese did very well were small arms, which is odd because they've also made excellent steel.

Korea, btw, is headed the same way as their economy has joined the developed world after the Seoul Olympics.

I think what that means is that in ways, there was a "vintage" of both Japanese and Korean guitar making at about the time they were shifting from a "make whatever you can cheap to export" to a "make excellent stuff and sell it less expensively for export to bring the economy up to European and North American standards." Now it's "make our own stuff as well or better and more efficiently and then invade the North American and European markets."

m

nice axe guys . let the thread be. post some pics if you like. Does it have to be American to be "vintage ?". I guess the rest of the world never made a musical

instrument before we started making them here... btw, i have a nice MIJ fender from 1987 but i guess thats not real either.

I've posted it a few times already but here it is again anyway.

My first guitar.

1976 'Grant' with a pair of (1977!) DiMarzio 'Dual-Sound' pups. Mini-toggles (between tone/vol knobs) act as coil-taps.

_MG_1321-1.jpg

1977 Eros LP Custom in ebony. All stock.

GibsonandErossmall.jpg

Another thought on the replicas...If it weren't for these guitars way back when, I likely never would have owned a real Gibson. There was no way in h*** I could have afforded an original as a teen and my parents were not in a position to lay out that kind of coin for a guitar either. I only bought my first Gibson last October. I'm 48. Probably could have bought one earlier but there were other priorities. I will very likely be buying more as time goes by.

Please don't get me wrong. I despise companies that try to fool the consumer by building a "fake" and putting the Gibson, Fender...name on the headstock.

Dave

Oh' date=' for the love of...

I wish I had a - I'll use the word - vintage Japanese guitar to share; I've enjoyed looking at some pics of those who do.[/quote']

x2

Moving forward

My 72-74 Epi ET-275

crestwood.jpg?t=1277728994

I love that Epi' date=' Duane.

How does she sound/play?[/quote']

She plays great, and sounds very bitey.... Only issue is she picks up radio stations[confused] ... And I can't go too crazy with the wiggly bar because it kills high E strings

x2

Moving forward

My 72-74 Epi ET-275

crestwood.jpg?t=1277728994

That is an Epiphone' date=' made by the Matsumoku factory.

If it kils your high E, check the roller saddle, it may be sharp due to corrosion.

Also, be very very gentle with the neck, dont give neck vibrato, because the neckjoint and heel are very fragile.

Here is his brother the Epiphone ET-290N:

[img']http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr80/geert1976/006-41.jpg[/img]

007-31.jpg

ok I have a lot more old Japanese guitars:

Aria Daimond 1971 made by Matsumoku

005-67.jpg

Washburn Falcon 1979 made by Yamaki

008-44.jpg

Fender Contemparory 22, 1986 made by Fuji gen, very rare, because this is the version with a Kahler tremolo (only a few hundred were made with this tremolo).

Upgradet with FGI sustainer pick-ups

001-93.jpg

Washburn Falcon 1982, made by Matsomuku

001-97.jpg

Elmaya ES335 C 1974, made by Maya

001-100.jpg

Aria Flying V 1976 by Matsumoku

011-33.jpg

Morris L5 1975, by Fuji Gen

001-86.jpg

Aria Pro II ES 500 VS, 1979, made by Matsumoku

011-17.jpg