Gibson Brands Forums

Updated Collection Shots anyone?????

Taylor Player

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK...OK.....OK ....thank you OP for getting me to finally take a group shot!

So this is my second favorite place in the universe ...sitting in my music room ! (My first favorite place is of course ...roll'n in my sweet baby's arms !)

Nice grouping.......I don't think we've seen them all together before.......

Hey Nodehopper,

Three questions:

1) What model is the slothead Washburn in your picture and what are its specs? Do you like it? I have an R320 SWRK on order. Washburn says its all solid wood. I hope it's okay. Certainly is a reasonably priced parlor guitar.

2) What is the beautiful slothead to the right of that Washburn and can you talk a little about it. Distinctive bridge. Expensive? Gorgeous for sure.

3) How about the Gibson between them, back on the wall with the parallelogram position markers but no pickguard. Special order? What exact model? (SJ?)

Thanks for the picture. Beautiful guitars! Hope you don't mind my questions.

Best,

Jack6849

Hey Nodehopper' date='

Three questions:

1) What model is the slothead Washburn in your picture and what are its specs? Do you like it? I have an R320 SWRK on order. Washburn says its all solid wood. I hope it's okay. Certainly is a reasonably priced parlor guitar.

2) What is the beautiful slothead to the right of that Washburn and can you talk a little about it. Distinctive bridge. Expensive? Gorgeous for sure.

3) How about the Gibson between them, back on the wall with the parallelogram position markers but no pickguard. Special order? What exact model? (SJ?)

Thanks for the picture. Beautiful guitars! Hope you don't mind my questions.

Best,

Jack6849[/quote']

Thanks for the interest! Yah...Like I mind your questions... LOL !!! I just deplore discussing my guitars .... :D

The Washburn is the Washburn 125-ANNIVERSARY-R-316-SWKK-PARLOR GUITAR - Trembesi back and sides all solid woods - This was the first edition of these 125 annv. series and I thought was going to be the only edition, but Washburn keeps making new models of these. These are GREAT guitars.. really cool old time sound that has a slight 'banjo' sound to them. Different editions of these can be laminate guitars...so anyone interested needs to watch those specs before buying. For the price they can't be beat! Also watch the build quality when you get yours...I have heard some who have found big flaws in the Q/C on these. But if you get a good one ...which I am sure you will...you will love it.

The little 12 fret slothead with the old style bridge is a John How Ladder Braced Concert model. John basically took an old exploded Stella from the 20's and measured all the pieces and drew up plans for his take on a Stella Ladder Braced guitar. For a really nice little hand made guitar ....his prices can not be beat. This little thing is probably the loudest most dynamic guitar I own and it is the smallest !! and it has that Stella Blues Sound

Check out his website ----- http://www.johnhowguitars.com/

The Gibby acoustic is a CJ-165 ...I have the pick guard stored away and never put it on. It is maple back and sides. They have discontinued this exact version, but still offer an Acoustic / Electric version with cut away. It is definitely a great guitar....think of it as a small Jumbo or J-185

Again thanks for letting be brag on my babies !! :-)

Cool. Now I'm stoked and ready to get my solid-wood Washburn and I appreciate the info and your quick reply. You have some great guitars in your stable. Nice to see the variety your collection puts together.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Nice guitars all (I wish I could hear them all).

Zombywoof and Nodehopper, I find your guitars to be particularly beautiful — very cool guitars indeed!

Nodehopper, one more instrument question for you (since you don't mind), could you share some details regarding the parlor-sized resonator?

All the best,

Guth

Nice guitars all (I wish I could hear them all).

Zombywoof and Nodehopper' date=' I find your guitars to be particularly beautiful — very cool guitars indeed!

Nodehopper, one more instrument question for you (since you don't mind), could you share some details regarding the parlor-sized resonator?

All the best,

Guth[/quote']

I got that through Republic Guitars.

Here is the link to the parlor sized -- http://www.republicguitars.com/parlorsizeresolian.html

The owner of the company is a guy named Frank, who when I called to ask questions, was the guy who answered the phone. He has these manufactured in one of the Asian Countries (China I think), but Frank inspects, plays, sets up and adjusts every single instrument he gets. This is different than a lot of import guitars. All the research I did on the net showed that Frank and his republic guitars got very favorable reviews.

It is a great little reso...the issue with it is simply mine....I am still not sure how I want it set up and how I want to play it.

Do I want low action and light strings to finger pick blues on it, or do I want to make the jump to open tunings? (I don't even feel I have standard tuning under my belt yet!)

I asked Frank when I called and got the stars/moons cover and the Schatten pick up...Frank said it was the best pick up he has tried on biscuit resos and it does sound great plugged in. ....hmmmm wonder if I have a bottle neck slide around here somewhere.....this is making me want to dive in!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks for the info nodehopper. That little thing really looks sweet — I really dig the moon & stars coverplate (the "chicken foot" one that they offer is also very cool).

All the best,

Guth

Re the set-up dilemma. I'd be thinking you could set her up with mediums and cover both ends. While a lot of guys set up nationals with thick sets, Brozeman in his Nationals book actually recommends a medium set (13-56) for mixed playing. I asked Paul Rishell, who plays std and bottleneck, about the set up on his tricone--he uses 12s. Here's a thread on it. http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012487.html

Re exploring open tunings-- Vestapol/Stefan Grossman has good lessons on slide and regular picking in open tunings. Your herds big enough, could dedicate one to Spanish (G) and one to Vestapol (D).

Re the set-up dilemma. I'd be thinking you could set her up with mediums and cover both ends. While a lot of guys set up nationals with thick sets' date=' Brozeman in his Nationals book actually recommends a medium set (13-56) for mixed playing. I asked Paul Rishell, who plays std and bottleneck, about the set up on his tricone--he uses 12s. Here's a thread on it. http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012487.html

Re exploring open tunings-- Vestapol/Stefan Grossman has good lessons on slide and regular picking in open tunings. Your herds big enough, could dedicate one to Spanish (G) and one to Vestapol (D). [/quote']

Thank you Jedi Master for your wisdom. So much to learn and explore and so little time!!

BTW I love your profile pic of Blind Willie McTell ...he is one of my favorites! I tend to really like the Piedmont Blues ...even over the Delta Blues that is what everyone generally thinks of as the original blues.

Thank you Jedi Master for your wisdom" kinna-wan mos' humble (lol)

"I tend to really like the Piedmont Blues ...even over the Delta Blues that is what everyone generally thinks of as the original blues." Piedmont rocks. Church of the Big Thumb. Actually' date=' Elijah Wald makes a good case ([i']Escaping the Delta[/i]) that the blues form originated in the city and spread to the country.

Btw, nice gets, Janus.

Crappy pic of some great guitars! ...

Top row- '53 SJ' date=' '06 OJ, '09 J45TV LTD. ED., '51 J45

Bottom- '10 12 Fret SJ, '07 J185 TV, Roy Smeck Prototype[/quote']

Wow!

Burst-a-palooza!!

Smokin' collection you've got there Jannusguy [biggrin]

BigKahune' date=' I Loooooove your collection! Great !!!!!!![/quote']

Thanks.

Your SJ - Mr.Gibs - one is my favorites.

Hey jannusguy2,

Gibson certainly understands the "Sunburst" finish. And obviously, so do you! How cool...

Are you strictly a "Sunburst" collector or is this just "one facet" of your Gibson appreciation?

I have four Gibson "Sunburst" finish guitars right now. For acoustics: an SJ-200 "True Vintage" and a Custom Shop "J-200 Jr." , and on the electric side: a "50th Anniversary '59 ES-335 Dot Reissue" and a Billy Gibbons "Pearly Gates" Les Paul Standard. As far as I'm concerned Gibson has always "set the bar" for "Sunburst" finishes.

When I think Gibson, I always think of their "Sunburst" finishes first, even though I do collect others. e.g. Natural, Ebony, Cherry Red, Classic White, and, for that matter, Pelham Blue, (and now that I am thinking about it, Inverness Green....).

Anyway, thanks for your cool picture. Very inspiring to be sure.... and a lot of fun to see them all together.

Best,

Jack6849

IMO there are a lot of guitar makers who have obviously learned to do their "Sunburst" finishes by using Gibsons as their prototypes. There's even one famous company in Pennsylvania, (and I own many of their best guitars) that could improve their sunburst finishes just by referring to a few classic Gibson models "before they spray".

(Again, that's just my opinion....)

hey jack6849, those are all my Gibsons in that pic. NOBODY does sunburst like Gibson. as you might guess, it's one of my favorite things. i am about to add a martin to the arsenal but it will be a natural finish. how about posting some shots of your bursts?

cheers,

rob

Wow, I post a topic asking for collection shots and MAN did you guys respond! Beautiful shots everyone....

Like the rest of you, I enjoy looking at collection photos for my next interesting "Find". Matter of fact, over the long weekend I was able to score another 60's guitar to go with the Ibanez Goldentone I just got a couple weeks ago. This time I stayed with my roots and found an acoustic.... not just any acoustic, but a 1969 Framus 12 string made in Bavaria West Germany. It is a 5/297 model with what I think is a solid Maple or possibly very dark Spruce top (you can tell it is solid by the sound hole), Solid Mahogany sides and a laminated arched back.

I traded a guy a Boss Blues Driver I wasn't using for it. He had it listed as a "Project" 12 string and man was he right. The neck had broken through the body at the end of the fretboard and there are cracks (some poorly repaired and some not repaired at all) on both sides and the top. The back is in great condition though. It is 100% original except for the new neck plate screwed into the neck as you can see where the original screw holes were on both the guitar and the neck when removed. Also, when I picked it up, it was at tension with 12 strings on it but the action was well over 1-2 inches off the frets by the end of the neck!!!! (I hadn't even made the trade yet but I was loosening the tuners as fast as possible!)

After we made the trade, I brought the guitar home thinking all I was getting was some "Guitar Art" for my music room. What I did was to pull off the neck by removing the screws, took out the pieces of hardwood flooring he had put in-between as a shim of some sorts and proceeded to repair the stripped out neck screw holes. I used a small piece of wood dowel and some carpenters glue to fit a bit of the dowel into the existing holes. Then I just screwed the neck back on and strung up the guitar with 6 strings I had lying around. It WORKED!!! Tuned it up to pitch with the 6 strings and played some, then let it sit overnight. It was still in tune (for the most part) in the morning today!!! I may go get some light gauge 12 strings and throw them on next! I also may just leave it as a 6 string. With the 1.75" nut it may be too small for me to play as a 12'r but as a 6 string it plays like my Taylor as far as ease. It has an Ebony fretboard like my Taylor (my favorite fretboard material), a Steel nut and Zero Fret, Adjustable Steel/Wood bridge with some sort of bone or tusq material the strings go over and an ugly 60's pickguard that I seem to love!

So, I posted this whole "Show me your collection" because I had just added the 62 Ibanez Goldentone....... Now I need to re-group and get a new shot with my newest 60's find!

Here are a few shots of the newbie! My 1969 Framus Model #5/297 12 string (Currently just a 6 string though!)

From the looks of it, I think Framus is the "Gibson" of Germany with it's fancy details.

[confused]

Framus1-1.jpg

100_0828.jpg

100_0830.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0821.jpg

100_0819.jpg

100_0816.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0785.jpg

And now that I have totally increased the bandwidth with my many Framus fotos... *grin*

I took some shots just now of the music room the way I get to have it layed out during the summer when the humidity is "Just Right" for my babies....

100_0807.jpg

100_0808.jpg

100_0809.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0811.jpg

Here are a few shots of the newbie! My 1969 Framus Model #5/297 12 string (Currently just a 6 string though!)

From the looks of it' date=' I think Framus is the "Gibson" of Germany with it's fancy details. [/quote']

I love those Framuses! Nice one you got there. Always meant to pick one of those up (scribbles on shopping list).

Hey jannusguy2,

Here's a shot of some of the Gibsons at my place. Sunburst and Ebony these. I love 'em all... Wish I was a better photographer, but you get the idea. We're a close family. Sunburst finishes and neck binding keep us together. These guitars are all Custom Shop pieces and all were built in the last three years. The SJ-200 "True Vintage" and the "J-200 Jr" are both from 2010 and have Adirondack tops.

gibsonfamily001.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Best

Jack6849

Archived