Gibson Brands Forums

Well. That's me not playing for a while.

LarryUK

I was walking my dog on Saturday morning and some **** let his dog run up to me. My dog's a pit cross and his was a staff. Both *****es. I told him not to let it over, but he did. So it went off big time. He just stood there. I had to part them and got chewed in the doing. My left ring finger was broken and I nearly lost the tip. I might have to have some bone taken out as well. That's my lesson learned. Take a walking stick out when I go walking. My dog was ok and his got some ear bitten off. Dreadful.

He was an old man and it's proving it. Pit bulls aren't a bad breed and Staffs are great. But two *****es together? That's the problem.

No Cost to get it fixed.. Good old NHS!! You need it over there.

I lost about 3/4" to an inch off the tip of my left pinky about 30 years ago. The whole nail-bearing tip was gone, pinched off in a door. Fortunately the doc on call at the ER that night was a hand-surgeon who advised me to let it grow back instead of having it nipped back to the first knuckle. I regained enough finger-tip to have a near normal appearing finger. I did have to go back in and snip off some of the bone due to insufficient padding on the new "tip". But it hasn't kept me from playing after the first year or so. Give it time and bear with it, you'll hopefully have a short interruption in your playing and nothing more. Glad your dog's OK.

I wear boots when I walk my do for just a case like this... a couple of swift kicks will do some damage.

Good idea. I carry one of those telescoping batons (like cops use) just incase Molly and I encounter any dogs bent on attacking. Luckily, I haven't had to use it. You probably wouldn't guess from her picture (in my avatar) but she's got a pretty horrifying bark (I guess it's the German Shepherd in her blood) when she feels uneasy about something. -That actually works pretty well at keeping any weirdness in check on our walks.

I wear boots when I walk my do for just a case like this... a couple of swift kicks will do some damage.

Good idea. I carry one of those telescoping batons (like cops use) just incase Molly and I encounter any dogs bent on attacking. Luckily' date=' I haven't had to use it. You probably wouldn't guess from her picture (in my avatar) but she's got a pretty horrifying bark (I guess it's the German Shepherd in her blood) when she feels uneasy about something. -That actually works pretty well at keeping any weirdness in check on our walks.

[/quote']

I carry somethin', too. But I'm too old to be kickin' or swingin' at somethin' trying to eat me or mine. :P

Picture017.jpg

Sure a judge CAN 'sentence' a bad owner to never own a dog again.

If he does, he goes to jail. Just need to get a judge to see the insanity

of some bad dog owners. Declare the owner a nuisance with dogs as

he is unable to properly care, house and contain them.

But, you have to get these degenerates in front of a judge. What can

be done? Does the county or victims have to file charges of willful

negligence against the owner?

Just to be fair, the article did not say the owner of the dog had gotten

another one. The article said he COULD get another dog.

I lost about 3/4" to an inch off the tip of my left pinky about 30 years ago. The whole nail-bearing tip was gone' date=' pinched off in a door. Fortunately the doc on call at the ER that night was a hand-surgeon who advised me to let it grow back instead of having it nipped back to the first knuckle. I regained enough finger-tip to have a near normal appearing finger. I did have to go back in and snip off some of the bone due to insufficient padding on the new "tip". But it hasn't kept me from playing after the first year or so. Give it time and bear with it, you'll hopefully have a short interruption in your playing and nothing more. Glad your dog's OK.[/quote']

I hope you heal up soon lashurst.

Cruznolfart, I have the same wound on my left ring finger! Small world.

I was around 5 yrs when my hand got stuck in the latch of a storm door and pinched off my finger tip!

The way it healed, it's slightly shorter than my right ring finger and the tip is only like half a finger tip.

In order to play I have to cut the nail back pretty far as it grows in a curve over the nubbed tip and there is tuff skinn/nail fragments under it that I have to file back as well. I call it my "Iommi Finger".

I have trouble fretting some odd chords but all-in-all my playing ability is unaffected.

(Maybe because the injury was so long before I learned to play)

I agree that the owner is 99% of the problem. My Boxer has never attacked another dog. In fact, his best friend is a toy poodle that lives 2 houses down.

ajax1.jpg

Dogs become agressive when they are abused and neglected. If you dont give your pet the attention, walks, and discipline they need, you should be criminally liable for animal abuse.

sorry to hear about that. I hate dog owners that pull that crap. I am a serious dog lover and would never want to hurt a dog but if one was going after my dog, I'd be drop kicking that dog into yesterday. Course my dog is a 70 pound boxer so he wouldn't exactly curl into a ball and wimper either.

I wish the courts would hold pet owners more responsible for the actions of their dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I've been thinking, I know there are a few guys and girls on here who actually rely on playing as a livelyhood, and I wonder, have any of you gotten your hands insured? Like how some dancers insure their legs? So that something that happened to Lashurst doesn't happen to you and put you out of a job?

I'm in the building trade. I had an operation on my shoulder a few years ago. It was a wear and tear issue. Torn tendon and bone removal. I was off for six months. We have the Nhs so it didn't cost me for hospital treatment. But that amount of time off with a mortgage and living on my own nearly bankrupt me. I had to sell my bike to pay the bills. Bimota sb6r if you're into bikes. It was as new condition. I wanted to keep it as a museum piece. I'm still struggling after 3 years back working. It terrible when you're self employed.

Archived