Gibson Brands Forums

World's ugliest Acoustic Guitars.......

onewilyfool

This 1942 SJ has been haunting ebay (& challenging gag reflexes) for some time now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1942-SJ45-Southern-Jumbo-GIBSON-w-Original-Case-/220512425197?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item33579094ed

... 'would be just the ticket for any particular Gibson fan looking to align with some

demonic mojo. Be sure to check out Lucifer himself looking back at you from the Mother of Lucifer inlay in the headstock. Pic #9 shows evidence of previous exorcism attempt.

Sweet dreams.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd resurrect this old post, and add a few more ugly accoustics to this illustrious group:

Prairie-State-Big-Boy-Front-Full.jpg

Ah, the one and only Larson "Big Boy," leaning against my fireplace. I love that guitar (I'm partial to my fireplace, too). Regardless of what you think of the guitar's appearance, I promise you that it is one of the best sounding instruments ever created.

Ah, the one and only Larson "Big Boy," leaning against my fireplace. I love that guitar (I'm partial to my fireplace, too). Regardless of what you think of the guitar's appearance, I promise you that it is one of the best sounding instruments ever created.

JT, how the heck do you hold it to play it?

JT....lol...it's "ugliness" is in it's hugeness and proportion......I'm sure it sounds fine....like Nick, I'm wondering how the heck you play the darn thing???!!

JT....lol...it's "ugliness" is in it's hugeness and proportion......I'm sure it sounds fine....like Nick, I'm wondering how the heck you play the darn thing???!!

Wily,

It's not my guitar (though I'd love to own it, it it ever came up for sale -- unlikely -- I'd never be able to pay the 6 figure price tag), but was here for X-rays. Simply put, it's the best sounding guitar I've ever encountered.

I did manage to get a video of my friend Tony Klassen (who happily was visiting while the guitar was visiting) playing it. As you can see, you've got to hold that thing at an angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ieMHulNxb8

Wily,

It's not my guitar (though I'd love to own it, it it ever came up for sale -- unlikely -- I'd never be able to pay the 6 figure price tag), but was here for X-rays. Simply put, it's the best sounding guitar I've ever encountered.

I did manage to get a video of my friend Tony Klassen (who happily was visiting while the guitar was visiting) playing it. As you can see, you've got to hold that thing at an angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ieMHulNxb8

Holding it like a gigantic classical........

That's the mother of all guitars!

I think that is the Euphonen....What a great sounding giant guitar. Can you imagine a 12 fret version..???

Well, it is a 12 fret guitar. 21 inches wide, which represents about an acre of Brazilian rosewood on the back and an acre of Adirondack on the top. About 7 inches deep. It's a Prairie State branded Larson Brothers guitar (the Euphonon rarely had the internal rods). An amazing guitar. Those were an incredible few days. I had a load of very rare Larson brothers guitars here and Tony Klassen here to play them.

Archived