Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Class 5 ?'s

chase1410

Hey guys, i just traded in my vox vt 15 for a Marshall Class 5...I was playing it at the store with my Gibson Studio Deluxe, and the clean sound was great...but i couldnt get any distortion, no matter how much i turned my guitar vol up or the amps volume...then i asked the guy and he plugged in a different guitar, too see if anything was wrong with it, but he got heaping amount of distortion with a cheap jackson...so i was like whatever, i must just have to tweak with it...I bought it and brought it home...But i still cant get any decent distortion without a distortion pedal....On all of my guitars , whenver i turn up the volume on either the amp or the guitar to the sound just gets louder, not dirtier...So any ideas whats going on? I've heard many demos, of this amp getting wonderful distortion with no pedals, but i cant get it...I feel stupid...:-

I never said i didnt like the amp...The clean sound was amazing witch is why i bought it...I can still get distortion through my no brainer distortion....Im wondering why i cant get any distortion with just the guitar plugged into the amp....I tried two models and both did the same thing..

Have any high output pups?

Might be the tubes...

oh yea ceramics in my gibson V and SD EMTY Blackouts in my Minarik, and 57's in my traditional and i dont think its the tubes, because theres no funny noises and there still ALOT of volume...I know this doesnt make sense and people are thinking Im a f*c%ing idiot for even asking..but it whenever i manipulate the volume on either the axe or the amp, all it does is make it louder or quieter...This happened with my deluxe on both of the units...I went there with the intention of buying one, and just made sure none of them had the rattling problem...none of them did, but they both gave me the same sound with no distortion...no matter how much i tweaked..(It sounds great with my distortion pedal, but i just find it odd, why i cant get distortion straight from the amp and my Gibson...)

I never said i didnt like the amp...The clean sound was amazing witch is why i bought it...I can still get distortion through my no brainer distortion....Im wondering why i cant get any distortion with just the guitar plugged into the amp....I tried two models and both did the same thing..

E me.

It's just that from what you wrote, it seemed like it wasn't doing what you wanted it to do.

If memory serves that little amp only has a per and no power amps (thus only 5 watts) that cheapo Jackson could have had a hotter pickup. While I love my pups in Gibsons they are not hot at all when compared to either the Ibanez or Schector guitars.

Might be that, or it might just be that that famous "Marshall clean" is all wrapped up in this amp.

Dude might want to try one of those $100 cables. That ought to fix it.

The Marshall Class 5 is a non-master volume type amp, so the only way to get it to overdrive is to turn it way up - or to use an overdrive pedal. Try setting the tone and volume controls on the guitar at 10. That'll give you as much signal as possible from the guitar. If you can't get it to distort without having to turn it up too loud, then you'll have to use an overdrive pedal.

Non master type amps are old fashioned by design and limited by their nature. They're not really good at making a good crunchy overdrive at anything other than full volume.

I use really high quality cables, a lava coil cable, and a dominator. I dont really mind having to use a pedal...it still sounds great....but it seems odd that my gibson's, cant send this single channel beauty into overdrive by itself...

and a little off topic but i have to vent some where. I actually just got back my gibson deluxe from gettn a set up from the same shop i got my amp Russos...and now its buzzing like crazy on the low e and the d string where it never has before...and the action actually seems higher....gIm going to go back tomorrow and tell them to fix it..i dont know what the hell they did to it. #-o )

If memory serves that little amp only has a per and no power amps (thus only 5 watts)

It has two ECC83 pre-amp tubes' date=' and an EL84 power amp tube. I'd also like to know the answer as I'm in the market for a class 5, and was also under the impression you could get the "Marshall crunch" out of it[confused']

The Marshall Class 5 is a non-master volume type amp' date=' so the only way to get it to overdrive is to turn it way up - or to use an overdrive pedal. Try setting the tone and volume controls on the guitar at 10. That'll give you as much signal as possible from the guitar. If you can't get it to distort without having to turn it up too loud, then you'll have to use an overdrive pedal.

Non master type amps are old fashioned by design and limited by their nature. They're not really good at making a good crunchy overdrive at anything other than full volume.[/quote']

Thats exactly what the problem is.

Archived