Gibson Brands Forums

What guitarist do you belive is the most underrated?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here you go Bluesstringer.

I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist this.......Thanks Doc..

My "A" list. - B to follow later

1. George Harrison

2. Nils Lofgren

3. Skynyrd

Steve Gaines

Gary Rossington

Allen Collins

4. Danny Gatton

5. Dickey Betts

Oh' date=' Good List, Bluesstringer! And, I would add Peter Green, as well.

CB[/quote']

5. Peter Green

"B"

1. Doyle Brahhall III

2. Mike Campbell

3. Scotty Moore

4. Steve Cropper

5. Dave Mason

6. Steve Miller

I've got to go with Charlie Brown on this one (no surprise). George Harrison came up with relatively simple rifts that gave the Beatles an absolutely unique sound. I have to give him an "A" for originality.

Chuck Berry has been underrated, IMO. Some of his guitar solos have been dazzling, but he is credited more for the simple chord progression songs.

I was gonna say Mike Campbell too. Another George Harrison type who never over-played. Just the absolute right thing and he could fly when he wanted. That's an impossible combo to find these days.

Although this is changing, Prince would be on the top of my list. Not until fairly recently did many know he even played.

He is amazing.

There have been sooooo many.

Peter Green is a must for this list.

Steve Winwood is known for his keyboard and vocals...he is however, a pretty good guitarist.

I don't know that Dave Mason or Jim Krueger ever really got the credit they deserved.

How about Les Dudek?

Ry Cooder?

Yeah, you know...a lot of these guys, mentioned, have been high on fellow musician's lists, for years...decades, even.

But, not as appreciated, in the "mainstream!" However, considering what "mainstream" popularity can DO to

some people (Billy Holiday, Janis, Jimi, Morrison, Keith Moon, John Lennon, Dimebag Darrell, and...more currently,

Amy Winehouse, if she's not careful...on and on), that may not be such a bad thing, for them, not to be "famous?"

CB

There have been sooooo many.

Peter Green is a must for this list.

Steve Winwood is known for his keyboard and vocals...he is however' date=' a pretty good guitarist.

I don't know that Dave Mason or Jim Krueger ever really got the credit they deserved.

How about Les Dudek?

Ry Cooder?[/quote']

Mason was on my "B" list, and I certainly agree with the others you mentioned. The other that was not known for his guitar work but is actually very good is Leon Russell !

Mike Bloomfield, and Elvin Bishop, I've always enjoyed, too. Bloomfield and Clapton rejuvinated the demand

for Les Paul guitars, as well! And, John McLaughlin was "Shredding" before most of the current crop was a twinkle

in their father's eye! So....

CB

1. John Mayer- His recorded stuff doesn't show what kind of player he is live.

2. Izzy Straddlin/Dave Kushner- While Slash does play killer leads, his leads would have been nothing with out these guys cranking out riffs behind him.

3. Lenny Kravitz- The guy plays everything

4. Lonnie Mac- Recorded with SRV on two albums (i think) during the late 80s (not sure about that) but the guy is straight up an awesome blues player

5. Joe Perry- don't need to say anymore

6. Saul Hudson (aka Slash)- On the flip side of my comments on, he adds just the right amount of lead during songs like Welcome to the Jungle, Slither, and Paradise City. Plus he's played with just about everybody out there.

just my 2 cents

Barry Bailey from Atlanta Rhythm Section is tasty as hell!

Elliot Easton is a helluva player too!

Vince Gill can tear up a telecaster with the best of nashville's players.

Just 3 that are often overlooked,

OK one more....Greg Martin from the Kentucky Headhunters can spank a plank!

Mike Bloomfield' date=' and Elvin Bishop, I've always enjoyed, too. Bloomfield and Clapton rejuvinated the demand

for Les Paul guitars, as well! And, John McLaughlin was "Shredding" before most of the current crop was a twinkle

in their father's eye! So....

CB[/quote']

Good ones CB ! I can't believe I forgot them. Jeff Beck is another one that doesn't get mentioned here much.

Next list !

Alvin lee

Rick Derringer

Bobby Manriquez

Lindsey Buckingham

Warren Haynes

Paul Barrere

Mark Knopfler

Steven Stills

Willie Nelson

Ernie Isley

To be continued..............................

Lowell George

Hughie Thomasson

Pat Thrall

Drew Zingg (Steeley Dan,Bos Scaggs tour player)

Elliot Randall

Cornell Dupree

Coco Montoya

Buddy Whittington

Ronnie Earl

Duke Robillard

G.E. Smith

I'm not sure if anyone posted these already but,

1. Scotty Moore

2. Robert Johnson

3. Hank Garland

4. James Burton

I don't know if they're underrated, but they're certainly overlooked too many times. Ask any of the new guitar players today and chances are they wont know who any of them are. Even though these greats inspired their influences to start playing in the first case.

Archived