Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid things I do when I play - STIDWIP

brad1

OK, there is something I do every so often that just frustrates me so much that I thought I would tell you all about it, and also hear some of your STIDWIP.

It happened last night. I start to tune up my guitar with the tuner. I do the low E first, than go to the A. As I turn the knob I don't see any movement in regards to the needle on the tuner. So I turn the knob some more on the guitar and still see no movement. I do it once again, and after again getting no response I look over at the knob I'm turning, and wouldn't you know, it's the low E knob I'm turning. So now I have to go back and tune the E again. And than go to the A again.

I could list a few other STIDWIP. More than a few. But I thought I would leave some for you guys. Hi Gary.

I also thought it would be interesting to see if this post makes it through the censors. After all, now we don't have any idea what is being deleted. Too bad so many had to constantly complain. All they did is make it worse, IMO.

So.......tell me your STIDWIP. So I don't feel so stupid.

p.s. This is not meant to make anyone look bad. Just a look at some of the humorous, nutty stuff we do when we are distracted or engaged with our Epiphones.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not very related, but...

I once killed a roach in a concert during a song. He/she/it was looking and me and I just had to step he/she/it.

After the show, the singer asked me: "why did you put a stompbox so far away from the rest of your rig?"

ah.. the good times...

not very related' date=' but...

I once killed a roach in a concert during a song. He/she/it was looking and me and I just had to step he/she/it.

After the show, the singer asked me: "why did you put a stompbox so far away from the rest of your rig?"

ah.. the good times...[/quote']

TOO Funny!

I've posted this in another thread, but one of the most stupid things I've done is play an SG without strap locks. Not smart...THE most stupid thing I've done, (not playing) is loan guitars to "friends"...Really not smart...........J

I don't do anything too special while i'm playing.. I just stomp the ground real hard and make weird faces.

My brother was visiting me and he drooled over my guitar while playing.=P~ He said that it happens to him all the time.

I play in a blues band and on Sundays for the Worship Team - guitar or bass!

I have a tendency to "rockout" while playing . . .

. . . it's Ok and cool to do that in the blues band, but . . . . . . . . . . . .

Trying to set the tone of the amp when the wah pedal is unknowingly depressed.

I'm looking at my EQ, my pedal settings, my amp settings, then I move the wah pedal and it goes "Wah"!.

I'm like, how could I be so frekin' dum! It has happend to me twice. It took a lot shorter time to figure it out the second time though. DUH!

Thanks everybody!

I'm feeling less stupid already.

Another thing I do- my right foot has a mind of its own. While attempting my feeble lead playing, my right foot will almost always start twisting around, on tip toe. My left foot remains still. And it doesn't happen during rhythm playing.

I just noticed this recently. I think I'm going to get my girlfriend to video tape me so I can see what other lame stuff I'm doing.

Keep 'em coming.

BTW , the temperature is 102 right now here in Sacramento, California! What's it like where you be?

Trying to set the tone of the amp when the wah pedal is unknowingly depressed.

I'm looking at my EQ' date=' my pedal settings, my amp settings, then I move the wah pedal and it goes "Wah"!.

I'm like, how could I be so frekin' dum! It has happend to me twice. It took a lot shorter time to figure it out the second time though. DUH![/quote']

I've done that. I forgot I used it during rehearsal one night and started playing a few days later, with it still on. It took me a couple of songs to figure out why I sounded mid-rangey. I have fixed that problem now though, I put an LED in my Wah so I know when it's on and off just by looking.

I've forgot to plug in and push down my volume pedal, start playing and nothing but noise. That makes me feel really stupid, and I am just hoping that no one notices.

I've also done the tuning thing. I have learned though, I usually don't break strings any more. When the tuner isn't moving after I have cranked a half turn, I look up and see that I am on the wrong tuner.

And I have to admit that I have drooled on my guitar when playing as well. Gee, I'm a real mess.

I'll admit it' date=' I've drooled on my guitar...luckily I stopped that.

[/quote']

Yeah, back when I used to play metal I tried my hand at technical stuff far beyond my actual abilities. I really had to focus and concentrate, hence the side-effects. :) It disappeared when I changed playing style to bluesrock.

THE most stupid thing I've done' date=' (not playing) is loan guitars to "friends"...Really not smart...........J[/quote']

People always want to borrow my motorcycle and guitars. They get neither...EVER...

I didn't usually drool unless a good looking girl sat across from me with a mini skirt and didn't close her legs.LOL

I love cheerleaders and schoolgirls. I've seen very few college girls go the schoolgirl route... in college. Look out your window driving 2 blocks AWAY from the college and they're all out in thigh-length skirts and barely shin-length socks in the snow, the hell?

Also, trying to solo with the guitar braced behind my head. I can do this with guitar hero but it affects my playing; I can do this with guitar, but it affects my playing just a tad more. Sucks not having a free floating pick hand.

I have to admit that I have done at one time or another just about everything that has been said so far during electric playing as well as once pulling my amp over by walking further than my cord would reach and once slipping off the edge of the stage. Thankfully it was a short stage and my other guitarist saw it coming and grabbed my guitar on the way down.

The 2 STIDWP the acoustic which I play in a Church Praise Team group every Sunday is stick my pick in my mouth while switching to fingerpicking and then can't find the pick when I need to switch back, or drop it out of my mouth and can't find it quickly enough. The other thing is when my battery goes dead early in the service and I remember I forgot to put spares in the case. (again!)

I've done the drool thing.. If I'm concentrating on an intricate passage and I have my head cocked while looking at my fingering hand, a trickle of drool will roll out of the corner of my mouth.. Or if I'm really getting into what I'm playing and have one of those "out of body" playing experiences it'll happen too... And I only notice it when I'm clean shaven... When my beard is in full-on Grizzly Adams mode, I won't feel it!

In the "stupid" category, I was recently playing for a small group of friends and I couldn't get anything out of my amp... I was stumped! I turned every knob and flicked every switch (on both the amp and the guitar) and had no idea why it wasn't working... After muttering and scratching my head for a couple of minutes (which feels like an eternity when other people are watching) I thought the amp got broken in transit.... Until I unplugged my foot-switch from the back of the amp and realized I had plugged into the headphone jack!

I play in a blues band and on Sundays for the Worship Team - guitar or bass!

I have a tendency to "rockout" while playing . . .

. . . it's Ok and cool to do that in the blues band' date=' but . . . . . . . . . . . .

[/quote']

I've had the same problem at times bro, I get into it and tend to forget where I am at the time every now and then ! Glad to see you here, there are a couple of other members here that also play in Praise Teams .

Archived