Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot Studio - Does anyone have one?

JefferySmith

There is something attractive about the Epiphone Dot Studio (yes, the mahogany model) that goes beyond its incredibly reasonable price. It looks like it was meant to be played instead of nurtured. I wouldn't feel compelled to wipe it down with Gibson Guitar Polish, surround it in red flannel, and lay it carefully in the hardshell case (a ceremony that I always performed with my 335 TD).

The only troubling thing is that I have only seen one, broken in half, at a studio in Covington, LA. I'm sure it was dropped (neck snapped in two). Does anyone on this forum own one? When I get my $400 teaching contract check, it will either be that guitar or a faded SG.

I got a black one. I really like it for the most part, but the one thing I (personally) have a problem with is getting to the 22nd fret. I don't know if my hand is too fat or what but it is extremely difficult for me to hit that fret! I played one of the faded brown ones at GC the other day and actually like the tone a little more than mine. Maybe they use less paint on those and they breathe more? I like the sound of the pups also. Some don't like em but I'm not trying to please their ears. I did split the coils in the lead pickup and put a push pull pot in because my band does some songs that need a single coil sound....and I'm too lazy to switch guitars in mid set. The single coil is kinda weak and lacks some tone but a compressor helps. Overall it is well worth the $ I spent on it. I did have to reverse the bridge saddles for the 3 high strings to get it to intonate and filed the nut so that 10's would slide freely. I changed pots, and will change the switch when it goes bad, but it stays in tune so I won't change the tuners. Oh yeah, when I tried the faded brown one at GC I noticed both pots were loose, I told the salesman and he proceeded to take the knobs off and tighten the nuts by hand, put the knobs back on and say, OK, you are good to go! thats one reason why I bought different books and learned to do my own guitar tech work long ago.

I have one and never play it (other guitars are elitists and a Gibby)... I like the way it looks and bought it to be a project guitar - to replace all the hardware on it. Unfortunately I don't like the neck - its HUGE!

I have one and never play it (other guitars are elitists and a Gibby)... I like the way it looks and bought it to be a project guitar - to replace all the hardware on it. Unfortunately I don't like the neck - its HUGE!

Hmmmm. My hands are smallish, so that might not be a good fit for me. I discovered a Guitar Center yesterday while driving around the 'burbs. I may drive out there and see if they have one.

Thanks much for the input, y'all.

The main problem I have with the Dot Studio is that there is only one tone and one volume control. For the dual humbucker setup, I just don't dig that. Probably, that's 'cuz I cut my musical teeth on Epi Les Pauls.

I got one last year in Worn Brown. It was a great guitar! Definately a player, although it was unplayable before a setup. After that, it was a dream to play, great tones. I loved the feel of the neck. I recently sold her to help buy a bass which I needed, worked out great as prices on these have gone up this year.

I've been lusting for the black dot studio.. but another hundred bucks for black?

I don't theenk so, Lucy.

they have the rogue lipstick guitar daily special.. a hundred bucks.

I'm having to tear myself away.. from a Rogue?

remember when they were aluminum?

I've been lusting for the black dot studio.. but another hundred bucks for black?

I don't theenk so' date=' Lucy.

they have the rogue lipstick guitar daily special.. a hundred bucks.

I'm having to tear myself away.. from a Rogue?

remember when they were aluminum?

[/quote']

I have my home page set as the Musiciansfriend Stupid Deal of the Day. I suspect that these are for merchandise that they are closing out. I'm thinking that some Epiphones that were discontinued (remember how much they thinned the herds last year) may show up on that deal of the day.

Time will tell.

I've seen and played some of the Dot Studio models. Some weren't bad, others

felt very "cheap"...even at that price point. I (personally) would spend the extra

money, and find a great standard or deluxe Dot. I like the seperate volume/tone

controls, for each pickup, too. And, most of the regular Dot's seem to have a nicer

neck. I supposed, if you liked the "black" hardware of the Studio's, you could change

the regular Dot's hardware out, for that....take some of the "bling" away, if you like

that minimalist look? Anyway...just a thought.

CB

• 2 months later...

I got the Dot Studio in worn cherry and it plays great. I replaced the nut with a Graph-tech PT-6060-00, because the stock nut would stick when I bend the stings (G was particularly bad). This nut was perfect fit with a little filing so the ends wouldn't stick out too far and the edge so it fit in the existing slot. I'm also swapping out the tuning machines with Sperzel trim locks and replacing the bridge saddles with Graph-tech string savers. Other than that I'm happy with the sounds and how it plays.

This is the first semi-hollow guitar I have owned, so is it normal that the pitch changes slightly by putting pressure (like leaning your arm) on the body? I read a post somewhere that it is too be expected with this type of guitar, mine does it but I'm still questioning if that is normal.

I purchased a used Dot Studio a while back and really like the versatility - you can get a lot of sounds, from rock to blues, clean to dirty. I also have a Gibson Les Paul but find I am actually playing the Dot more because I like that twangy blues sound you can get out of it (a poor man's 335). My Dot has upgraded tuners which I believe help a lot. I recently added a Bigsby which doesn't do anything to keep the guitar in tune if I use it much but does add a ton of sustain.

If I can ever find one to try out, I'd like to see how a leftie model plays. (Guitar Centers seem to be very Les Paul centric as of late...they need to get some other models in there..Welll, you know...besides the Goldtop, and the Iommi SG, and, and......=D>

I have two DOT Studios. I LOVE 'em!!

I've kept them stock. I really like the phat chunky necks. I was able to get them set up just the way I like, although it did need some fret leveling and the application of Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut to help tuning stability.

Here's a couple videos. Not the best though....... I can actually get much better tone with these than in these videos.... but it's better than nothing:

2lightened11-26-07.jpg

Some guitars will do that you... I can't help but think of this little sexy number http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77238

It's weird since red guitars and/or archtops are generally not my thing. Explain that...:-

I'm this way with cameras. It's nice to have a $2,000 Leica, but you feel like you have to treat it like a fragile baby. So I buy a 50-year-old Canon 7, and I know that it can use it as a weapon if someone tries to mug me. I'd like to have an Epiphone Dot Studio as the play-everyday guitar that could also be used to smash intruders over the head without going into debt.

If I seem overly concerned with crime, keep in mind that some of the criminals in New Orleans are in the NOPD (New Orleans Police Department).

I'm this way with cameras. It's nice to have a $2' date='000 Leica, but you feel like you have to treat it like a fragile baby. So I buy a 50-year-old Canon 7, and I know that it can use it as a weapon if someone tries to mug me. I'd like to have an Epiphone Dot Studio as the play-everyday guitar that could also be used to smash intruders over the head without going into debt.If I seem overly concerned with crime, keep in mind that some of the criminals in New Orleans are in the NOPD (New Orleans Police Department).[/quote']

Then you need one of these

gun.jpg

Archived