Gibson Brands Forums

String Damage due to Acid??

28v6r

Can some demonstrate what this looks like or sounds like as I've only heard of this twice and I'm curious what it looks like..

None of my regular buddies complain of this and yet the guitar luthier I go to does and informs me that he makes all his pupils wash their hands before playing his equipment. The second example was recently on the forum here where someone mentioned "Captain Acid Hands" (Dunno who, can't remember..8-[ )

Can anyone help or describe how its caused etc?

Acids in the perspiration and the natural oils in your skin can rot strings. It varies from person to person but the younger folk seem particularly prone to it. My old man used to complain that I was rusting all his tools...

Can some demonstrate what this looks like or sounds like as I've only heard of this twice and I'm curious what it looks like..

None of my regular buddies complain of this and yet the guitar luthier I go to does and informs me that he makes all his pupils wash their hands before playing his equipment. The second example was recently on the forum here where someone mentioned "Captain Acid Hands" (Dunno who' date=' can't remember..8-[ )

Can anyone help or describe how its caused etc?[/quote']

Some peoples sweat is very acid and it will cause all of the plated parts and the strings to corrode very quickly....especially on cheap plating like on Epiphones(sorry but it's the truth). Washing your hands will have little benefit once you start to sweat it's all over. It's more important to wipe down the guitar after playing to remove as much of the residual acid as possible.

No worse than string damage due to Mescaline or Psilocybin --- usually due to distorted spatial perception resulting in the guitar being bumped into things, or playing extended raga-like jams and solos ... oh, wait , you meant a DIFFERENT kind of acid ...

The perspiration and skin oils of humans has a somewhat acidic pH --- some much more than others. The naturally ocurring acids in perspiration and finger oils can, over time, cause corrosion of metal parts on guitars, including strings, pickup covers, etc. This can dramatically shorten the life of guitar strings. Washing one's hands before playing and wiping the guitar down afterwards helps to reduce the corrosive effect, thus prolonging the life of your strings and slowing the wear on other metal parts.

No worse than string damage due to Mescaline or Psilocybin --- usually due to distorted spatial perception resulting in the guitar being bumped into things, or playing extended raga-like jams and solos ... oh, wait , you meant a DIFFERENT kind of acid ...

Yup the extended rambling kaka dead style jams will kill your string life for sure and bore everyone not on acid to tears!

No worse than string damage due to Mescaline or Psilocybin --- usually due to distorted spatial perception resulting in the guitar being bumped into things' date=' or playing extended raga-like jams and solos ... oh, wait , you meant a DIFFERENT kind of acid ...

The perspiration and skin oils of humans has a somewhat acidic pH --- some much more than others. The naturally ocurring acids in perspiration and finger oils can, over time, cause corrosion of metal parts on guitars, including strings, pickup covers, etc. This can dramatically shorten the life of guitar strings. Washing one's hands before playing and wiping the guitar down afterwards helps to reduce the corrosive effect, thus prolonging the life of your strings and slowing the wear on other metal parts.[/quote']

Ah, another member of that Woodstock Generation, eh![-o< IanMitchell...I was listening to the Woodstock album

just the other day and the announcer was making his comment about the bad brown acid.:-s I guess a lot of

people bummed out on that.

Parabar, you made a comment about corrisive properties of perspiration not only on guitar strings, but also on

pickup covers, etc. Yeh, the Summertime is especially brutal with me. It's not so much my strings, because I'm

constantly wiping them down, but man, my sweat has done a real number on my Sheraton II's pickup covers,

upper bridge screw and bridge, and my tuning keys. Taking the gold-plated finish right off. I'm glad my Les Paul

has chrome hardware. It's not as noticeable on that type of metal.

Paulp, that announcer is none other than the inimitable Wavy Gravy, who until recently listed his occupation on his business cards as "Clown, Activist and Frozen Dessert," thanks to Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor named in his honor. Sadly, it has been discontinued. Fortunately, Wavy himself has not, and continues to MC various events and sponsor Camp Winnarainbow every year at his Hog Farm in Northern California. I had the chance to chat with him a bit backstage at last September's "Earthdance" festival, and he's truly one-of-a-kind!

I read that one of the reason Rory Gallagher's old strat was so faded and worn was that he had a condition that caused high levels of acidity in his sweat....if you've ever seen a pic of his strat...its looks like it was in a fire.

I always wash my hands before playing.....and its not only because I got potato chip grease on my hands!

A guy told me while having a gripe session about string life that a rep from a string manufacturer claims coffee drinkers kill strings faster. He claims the acids in the coffee come out in perspiration and just destroys strings. I drink lots of coffee and I change lots of strings so maybe it's true, but I can't give up my only addiction my wife will allow(coffee in case you're wondering).

A guy told me while having a gripe session about string life that a rep from a string manufacturer claims coffee drinkers kill strings faster. He claims the acids in the coffee come out in perspiration and just destroys strings. I drink lots of coffee and I change lots of strings so maybe it's true' date=' but I can't give up my only addiction my wife will allow(coffee in case you're wondering).[/quote']

Coffee?? I'm Fu#$@d and so are many a late night musician![-o<

Dunno about that. I loves me some STRONG coffee (Peet's, espresso ... mmmmmm!!!) and seem to have relatively low acidity. Not to say that it mightn't be lower if I gave up the java, but, as they say, ain't gonna happen.

High meat consumption and tobacco smoking have also been implicated as contributing to a more acid pH, but it also sounds like genetics is the main factor, and there ain't much you can do about that.

I drink coffee, I drink beer, I eat meat, I smoke, I don't wash my hands before playing and I never had problems with premature deterioration of my strings...I even forget often to wipe my strings after playing...It have to be genetic... My hands stays dry...to much sometime..

Our other guitarist on the band scrap his strings in 2 hours... always having his hands wet... He drinks beer to, but I don't know for the rest :-)

I drink coffee' date=' I drink beer, I eat meat, I smoke, I don't wash my hands before playing and I never had problems with premature deterioration of my strings...I even forget often to wipe my strings after playing...It have to be genetic... My hands stays dry...to much sometime..

Our other guitarist on the band scrap his strings in 2 hours... always having his hands wet... He drinks beer to, but I don't know for the rest :-)[/quote']

Hey Norm you sound like 99% of the guitar players I know.......F#$K it be happy play guitar and let the rest of it happen man....life is too short.

Ah' date=' another member of that Woodstock Generation, eh!#-o IanMitchell...I was listening to the Woodstock album

just the other day and the announcer was making his comment about the bad brown acid.:-& I guess a lot of

people bummed out on that.

Parabar, you made a comment about corrisive properties of perspiration not only on guitar strings, but also on

pickup covers, etc. Yeh, the Summertime is especially brutal with me. It's not so much my strings, because I'm

constantly wiping them down, but man, my sweat has done a real number on my Sheraton II's pickup covers,

upper bridge screw and bridge, and my tuning keys. Taking the gold-plated finish right off. I'm glad my Les Paul

has chrome hardware. It's not as noticeable on that type of metal. [/quote']

Yeah, but you gotta be careful with the nickel and chrome stuff too, cuz it'll pit over time if you don't keep 'em clean. The blotters were high test in my day.

An important factor as far as damage to the strings from acid is also the strings you use. I know a number of acoustic musicians that have switched to Elixirs because they claim they can get much more life from them. Even those that hate Elixirs complain about the initial tone, not the longevity of the strings.

I've never played with Elixirs, but to my ear they sound fine when a good musician is using them.

Archived