Gibson Brands Forums

Getting bored with my Vox AD30VT

davidg3333

I bought this to use with my Dot and have had it for about a year. At first I thought it was OK, even though I didn't much care for some of the extreme overdriven modes. It always bothered me that volume levels weren't normalized across modes, so if I went from a clean Fender tone to a Marshall tone the volume levels would change. The effects were OK, I would dabble in them occasionally. I found them to be flaky sometimes.

I am now thinking that perhaps I have outgrown a modeling amp? I don't need a 100 watt monster. I play for my own enjoyment so volume is not a concern. I can't take much volume anyway, never could - I would have to leave loud bars for that reason. The question is what to do... I think I want to keep a tube amp and maybe get a pedal or two but I will have to ponder the whole thing.

"Less is (most always) more!" If you like the basic "Vox" tone (just not all the effects), the and AC-15 would

be a great alternative. If Fender is more your tone, then a "Blues Junior" (15 watts), or the ever popular and

totally wonderful "Deluxe Reverb" is an awsome choice. There is a new "Fender" called a Super Champ, too..

that is generating a lot of positive buzz, and serious sales, as well. Not trying to "sell" you anything here, but

just give you some info. I play out, in bars and small clubs, and I can tell you in all candor, that a "Blues Junior,"

or similar powered amp, will be plenty, volume wise. Since volume isn't your main criteria...they might even be

TOO loud? Others, on this forum, rave about the Epi Valve Junior amps. And Roland Cube amps, though "solid

state" have great reputations, for tone and reliability. So...lots of choices. I will say, too...that a tube amp,

regardless of power rating, needs to be run at a certain volume, to get the "sweet spot," tone wise. You simply

cannot get it, at low volume settings. Pedals will only approximate it, and usually quite poorly, too! But, when

you get that "sweet spot," you may decide you don't need or even want, a "pedal!" Depends, too, on what

tone you like, though. Anyway...just my 2-cents worth.

CB

I've had mine for almost a year' date=' and I like it even more than I did when I first got it.

I don't think I will ever "outgrow" it. Whatever that means.[/quote']

About 18 months for me: can't see myself ever selling even if a buy another amp or two. I think the AD30VT is a great amp.

Maybe it is a phase. I think an Epi Valve Jr. or a Blackheart to play with may help balance things out. Or maybe a Fender Blues Jr, or... I know, the new yet to be released Egnater Rebel 20. I guess it's just having GAS for another amp. The Vox is fine for what it does, I just wonder about its tone. Maybe a new speaker. hm...

On the other hand, maybe you're "bored" with your playing? I go through that, from time to time (I think we all do?), and

doing something else, musically...different style, working on something other than what is familiar, helps. Pretty soon,

you realize, it's not the guitar, or amp, that needs changing, but something in your playing...style, technique, even attitude, etc.

GAS is always a temporary (and often, not very good) solution.

Just a thought...

CB

I still like my AD30VT and I've had it about a year or so.

I don't use its effects (except the sub-par reverb).

I keep it mostly on the AC30TB amp channel.

I also changed the speaker to an Eminence Ragin Cajun.

Changed the tube as well (To a Groove Tube).

Also have a Ruby Tube sitting on the shelf for it. Its a lower gain tube than the Groove Tube.

Try those mods. Fine tune it to your taste.

my AD50VT got a little quirky once and I did a factory reset (check the manual). The tone snapped back like the day it came out of the box. There's also the chance that you might benefit from a 12AX7 change. Tubes begin to lose their tone after a year or two. You need a spare around the house anyway and $15 isn't a bad investment for that day when it blows the filament. I keep a spare in my gig bag.

I keep my Vox amp on either the Twin reverb or Bassman simulator.........

I've found the reverb to be OK ........IF you can dial it in just right,& 3 diff. adjustment modes don't make that an easy task.

Occasionally, I'll use the Dumble O/D Special model, when I feel like blazing the neighbors ears w/some metal tones.

Have you concidered the Epi 30 watt Blues combo? I hear that its a real tonebeast, and want to

test drive 1 myself sometime.

Maybe it is a phase. I think an Epi Valve Jr. or a Blackheart to play with may help balance things out. Or maybe a Fender Blues Jr' date=' or... I know, the new yet to be released Egnater Rebel 20. I guess it's just having GAS for another amp. The Vox is fine for what it does, I just wonder about its tone. Maybe a new speaker. hm...[/quote']

I agree with David, maybe a phase. I use a Valve Jr with an RP350 and it is my go to about 70% of the time. I will switch to the Vox for something different or when I need to take advantage of the wattage control. I thought of selling mine, but I'm glad I didn't.

Maybe it is a phase. I think an Epi Valve Jr. or a Blackheart to play with may help balance things out. Or maybe a Fender Blues Jr' date=' or... I know, the new yet to be released Egnater Rebel 20. I guess it's just having GAS for another amp. The Vox is fine for what it does, I just wonder about its tone. Maybe a new speaker. hm...[/quote']

I know some folks that have replaced the back cover with half a board for a kind of half open back and half closed thing....they say it really opens it up. This is second hand info BTW...I do not own one, just a suggestion.

I have played them, and also the Rebel 20....IMO once you play the Egnater, Rebel 20, you'll not want to play through your SS Vox amp no more. If you can afford to keep it and want a tube amp I definitely would. I do like the Vox Vallvetronix...just no comparing with the Rebel tube amp IMO.

Again IMO, but I think I would try the half back board first...allot cheaper than 600 bucks. BTW...I also liked the Rebel much better than the Blues JR. The Jr's to boxy sounding out of the box, ha..no joke intended, or without any mods.

Anyhow just my 2 cents

I know some folks that have replaced the back cover with half a board for a kind of half open back and half closed thing....they say it really opens it up.

I remember seeing that too, probably on a VOX forum. If you decide to do it just don't start hacking at the oem back. Cut a new one and paint it black, keep the old one safe and sound in case you want to switch back or sell it.

I think that you might need something else to lift you from the stagnation, but don't dump the AD30VT. I've got several amps to round robin with, as they will all get on your nerves eventually. Myself, I bought one for the AC30 vibe, and after three speaker, plus three tube changes ~ I'm finally happy as a PIS! I modded the back by opening it up like the AC also. Mine was bought from NCM where they offer the face mod with VOX diamond grill cloth, so it has the look as well.

Buy using different speakers, it changed the character of the amp alot. I had a Jensen MOD first go round, which covered all bases pretty well. Then next a Jensen CQ model, and finally the Eminence RamRod that gave me the tone I was after. The Tung-Sol 12AX7 that was the last candidate, was the icing on the cake.

This amp has numerous possibilities, you just have to seek them out. I always come back to it. I have a Marshall, and prefer the '80s patch in the VT than the real deal, not to mention you can tone down the VT to get that sound, where you have to crank up the Marshall.

100_0299.jpg

I think that you might need something else to lift you from the stagnation' date=' but don't dump the AD30VT. I've got several amps to round robin with, as they will all get on your nerves eventually. Myself, I bought one for the AC30 vibe, and after three speaker, plus three tube changes ~ I'm finally happy as a PIS! I modded the back by opening it up like the AC also. Mine was bought from NCM where they offer the face mod with VOX diamond grill cloth, so it has the look as well.

Buy using different speakers, it changed the character of the amp alot. I had a Jensen MOD first go round, which covered all bases pretty well. Then next a Jensen CQ model, and finally the Eminence RamRod that gave me the tone I was after. The Tung-Sol 12AX7 that was the last candidate, was the icing on the cake.

This amp has numerous possibilities, you just have to seek them out. I always come back to it. I have a Marshall, and prefer the '80s patch in the VT than the real deal, not to mention you can tone down the VT to get that sound, where you have to crank up the Marshall.

[img']http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/BENTE_2006/100_0299.jpg[/img]

How about a pic of the front. I have an AD30VT too. One of the things that kept me from it for a while was the chrome grill. I'm still not crazy about it, but I like the amp. So far I am happy with it, but I might like to put a new grill on it.

A Ragin Cajun. Might have to look into that. I had heard a Celestion G-10 was heavily recommended for these but that is what, $75 bucks or more plus shipping. A new tube sounds do-able and a much less expensive alternative. Now if I could only normalize volume across mods then I would be much happier! Thanks for the discussion and thanks to the admins for not axing the thread.

How about a pic of the front. I have an AD30VT too. One of the things that kept me from it for a while was the chrome grill. I'm still not crazy about it' date=' but I like the amp. So far I am happy with it, but I might like to put a new grill on it. [/quote']

Here ya' go! The chrome logo's were also replaced with the gold to resemble the AC30 as well...

100_0295_0001.jpg

A Ragin Cajun. Might have to look into that. I had heard a Celestion G-10 was heavily recommended for these but that is what' date=' $75 bucks or more plus shipping. A new tube sounds do-able and a much less expensive alternative. Now if I could only normalize volume across mods then I would be much happier! Thanks for the discussion and thanks to the admins for not axing the thread.[/quote']

The Rajun Cajun is suppose to work well in this amp. I also had people tell me the Celestion G-10 and the Jensen MOD. I never thought much of changing the tube, but maybe I should give that a look too.

Archived