Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your "Go To" Song?

midiman56

The basic blues riffs all over the neck to start with' date=' then ''The Wind Cries Mary'', ''Little Wing'' and ''Hey joe''.

Followed by ''Blue Bossa'' and ''Still Got The Blues''.

Peter[/quote']

this guy knows what's up..

you can play Hendrix, you can play anything=d>

I always start with some Van Halen, stuff from my youth. Panama, Jamie's Crying,ing then some scalular runs. As the guy at Long and Mcquade comes in I pretend to ignore him and run through eruption. Yes I know it's cheesy but I spent so long as a kid try to learn those licks. Cliff's of dover usually emerges as well, then some jazzy progressions.

I hate the pressure at the store, even if I'm in a little room , I know that they are listening and judging me.

Who really cares though? That's the correct opinion!

On electric , as long as I can remember it has always been some Chuck Berry. Don't have a reason why - just been doing it for around 50 years now. Probably just to get the feel of the guitar down a bit.

Then something like the John Mayall chestnut "Hartley Quits"because I want to play a tune that uses several pickup combinations and where you have to roll the tone and volume knobs back and forward quite a bit.

On acoustic, went in today to look at a Kalamazoo-made small body Epi. Played Robert Johnson's "32-30 Blues" followed by Bessie Smith's "Electric Chair Blues"to see how the guitar sounded with fingerpicked straight and nat'chel blues, chromatic single string runs across the board and running up the neck, a few deep bends, and some percussive rhythm work. After that played a bit of Georgia White's "I'll Keep Sitting On it (Before I give it Away)" and Rev. Davis' "Hesitation Blues."

Well, this will just show how still of a newbie I am with guitars, but the chords progression I always go to FIRST is "Zombie" by the Cranberries (don't judge me)

My other "main song" to play is "Reasons for Waiting" by Jethro Tull

Also "Draco and Harry" by The Whomping Willows, but I doubt any of you guys know that one.

"Stairway to Heaven" is a great song. But' date=' it has been "Done to Death," in Guitar stores! LOL!

I still enjoy it, though...and have heard some amazing "all acoustic" versions, over the years...some, in

those very same guitar shops, by some really awesome players.

CB[/quote']

For some reason I perspire more playing that song than any other song... singing and playing that song live is taxing for me for some reason.... My bass player laughs every time we play that song because I'm covered in sweat at its duration.

Guitar

Purple Haze

Hey Joe

The Jack

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out theme :D/

whatever AC/DC I feel like playing at the time

some scales..

Bass

Pretty Little Ditty *RHCP*

Schizm *Tool*

random punk songs

I like playing fast on bass..lol

I don't play any songs. I'm there to test out a guitar, not perform.

I give it a good looking-over for blems, neck straightness, setup (or lack of), etc.

I fret all the notes on the neck to check for dead spots.

Play a few different chord configurations at different points on the fretboard, to get a feel for the neck.

If it's an electric, I may take it into the acoustic room and play it unplugged for a bit to see how resonant it is. I may do my "dead spot" test in there as well.

Strum some more chords and work all the knobs and switches to check their function.

Play some random riffs and stuff while working the amp & guitar knobs to see what kind of sounds I can get out of this thing.

Same goes for an electric/acoustic, or minus the electronics tests if not.

Finally, I put it back where I found it and walk out, because I didn't really need to buy a new guitar today.:D

Whatever I'm playing most. 'Cause those are the sound foremost in my ear.

Lately that's ZZ Top stuff, and real recently Black Hole Sun and Don't Fear the Reaper, 'cause I'm just working them up.

Then I pretty much copy Charles the Obscures method.

TWANG

Hi there, IM a Noobie in this forum.

In the store I usually play, Without Wings-Corrossion of Conformity, lead solo on So Cold by Breaking benjamin,

Parabola - Tool, Check all the Open chords and bar chords & check the tone.

Those are the last ones I remember,

Rock on

For me it doesn't matter acoustic/electric I usually play the same things:

Rude Mood

Lenny

Over the Rainbow - a jazz instrumental version I arranged

Summertime - a jazz/blues instrumental version I arranged

solos in a pentatonic mode mixed with major scale solos - basically jammin' by myself.

I don't figure I'm in a music store to entertain other people, and I really dislike those who plug in a guitar, turn the amp up to ear damaging volumes, and decide to show the world that they can play like Page or Hendrix.

I have walked out of music stores without making a purchase because some bozo had the amp up cranking out 100db or more of volume and acting like he/she was some kind of guitar god.

If you want to impress people on how well you play (and there is nothing wrong with that), please don't do it in a music store. Get a gig, go to a jam session, or whatever, but don't try to override other people who may also be looking to try out a guitar.

OK, rant is over.

When I pick up a new guitar I

1) tune it up

2) play a few chords, open and bar chords from the first position to the 12th

3) scales in various places,

4) check for dead spots on the neck (frets and/or bow)

5) song fragments (mostly just rock/blues licks)

If I like the guitar after all that, and if I am serious about listening to how it sounds, I ask to take it to a "practice room" if one is available, if not, I try to make my sound evaluation as quickly as possible so as not to disturb other shoppers.

In my local ma and pa music store, I found that if I go there in the morning on weekdays, I can play to my heart's content without disturbing anyone, because it is slow then. When people come in, I turn it down or quit playing so that the owner or clerk can do business and therefore they will be there when I need them.

Insights and incites by Notes

Ya know I'm sort of the opposite, I personally like walking into a music store and listening to the various musicians jamming away on whatever instrument they're trying out.... to me it feels the room with a certain energy that takes me back to my younger years.

I've made the dumb mistake of purchasing an expensive guitar without trying it out. I think any musician should play the crap out of any instrument they are considering buying at all volumes to make sure that guitar is right for them.

Archived