Gibson Brands Forums

Two (or More) Guitar tone combinations: Which do you like/love?

charlie brown

I love the "Blues," so LP's, 335's, SG's, Strat's and

Tele's, can all do that really well. Actually, any guitar

can, if the player has the right "stuff!" But, there's

always been another favorite combination, not unfamiliar

here (besides Epiphone(s))...which is Gretsch and Rickenbacker,

parings. Three of my favorite bands, growing up, used them

in various periods, and to great effect! The Beatles (of course),

The Byrds, and Buffalo Springfield. The 3 "B's" as I like to

call them. But, that's just ME...

What are some of Your favorite combinations/tonalities,

that achieve that "magic" sound, for you? The ones that

always get you going, etc.?

CB

Peter' date=' anyone in particular, that you like that uses that combo?

CB[/quote']

I think Pearl Jam used this combo sometimes.

Derek and the Dominos, Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.

To me it's the Gibson/humbucker and Fender/single coil combo that makes it special.

Could also be a ES335 and a Telecaster.

Peter

I think Pearl Jam used this combo sometimes.

Derek and the Dominos' date=' Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.

To me it's the Gibson/humbucker and Fender/single coil combo that makes it special.

Could also be a ES335 and a Telecaster.

Peter

[/quote']

"Skynyrd" did/does that, too...didn't/don't they? LP and Strat...

CB

"Skynyrd" did/does that' date=' too...didn't/don't they? LP and Strat...

CB[/quote']

Back a few years ago my daughter got the Skynyrd box set for my b/day and in there they were talking about just that CB...the mix of the Strat and LP was part of what made thier tone so unique, got to say sure seemed to work back then and the new band is keeping it going...but in some of the old videos you won't see the strat that much, more a combo of a LP, SG, and firebird are seen.

Capt

It can also be an amp combination that blends into butter...

In our band (as in many better bands, I'm sure) we both play Les Pauls, but I play through a Mesa while he uses a Marshall. I don't think there's a better way to get a nice full wall of rock tone without stepping on each others toes, but still using two Les Pauls.

lostindesert wrote:

The Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Stratocaster are a magic combination in one band imho.

Peter

"Peter, anyone in particular, that you like that uses that combo?

CB"

The Cardinals live...Neal Casal recently got an LP and Ryan Adams often plays a Strat, plus Jon Graboff on pedal steel...the other main guitars are RA's 355 w/ Maestro, and NC's SG...good stuff

http://www.archive.org/details/radams2007-10-31.aud.flac16

http://ia311231.us.archive.org/1/items/radams2008-09-30.sbd.spyboychoir.flac16/d2/radams2008-09-30d2t05_64kb.mp3

I have to agree, the Strat and Paul combo sounds killer. Not a big Skynrd fan, but they do it well. Of course, Clapton with Allman, but lately Slowhand has brought in Derek Trucks to play slide with his SG. Third Day used a Paul/PRS/Tele combination until Brad Avery left. Most bands I've played with use a combo like this.

If you've ever listened to the "Chester and Lester" album recorded back in the 70's, then you've hear two of the nicest guitar tones ever recorded. The only thing I'm not sure of is if Atkins is on a Gretsch or a Gibson. The album cover pic sure looks "Gretschy" to me. Either way, coupled with Paul's sparkley sound (who says LP's can only growl ... shows what you can do if you learn to utilize the tone controls) theye is some beautiful music to be heard!

MIDI

Skynyrd used the strat(Ed King) mainly on Sweet Home along with a Les Paul(Rossinton) and Firebird(Collins). The Main core of Skynyrd early on was the Les paul and Firebird with Ed King switching between several guitars for his parts, Strat, Rick and les Paul. Later when Steve gaines replaced Ed it was mainly Gaines with his LP Custom and some Strat, Rossinton on Les Paul and Collins Firebird and Explorer. Rossinton used the SG only on Freebird. The short time between Gaines and King, Collins did use a strat for sweet home live.

My favorite big rock tone was when I ran two 100 watt mesa boogie II B heads out two mesa boogie full stacks, with just a analog delay. In combination with my Charvel strat that I think it had either Dimarzio Super D's or EMG's.. (I changed them some time in 1984 or 1985.. man did it have a wicked Brad Gillis tone but fatter.... I have a video of this set-up when we played Gazzaries back in 1984. Though I upgraded to the 100 watt Boogies Mark IV later on, (which turned out to be a down-grade), because I was never able to achieve the tone of the Boogie II B heads.

My current clean tone is with my JL Rev and VOX AC50, I really like the Faces maggie may lead tone I get from this set-up. Very deep, dark and warm.

Quicksilver Messenger Service's classic 4-piece configuration had a stunning combination of Gary Duncan's jazz-flavored fluid style on a Gibson L-5 or Barney Kessel with John Cippolina's SG.

Jefferson Airplane: Paul Kantner's Rickenbacker 12-string with Jorma Kaukonen's ES-345.

The early Sons of Champlin got me hooked on big jazzboxes with Bill Champlin's ES-175 and Terry Haggerty's L-5.

My favorite big rock tone was when I ran two 100 watt mesa boogie II B heads out two mesa boogie full stacks' date=' with just a analog delay. In combination with my Charvel strat that I think it had either Dimarzio Super D's or EMG's.. (I changed them some time in 1984 or 1985.. man did it have a wicked Brad Gillis tone but fatter.... I have a video of this set-up when we played Gazzaries back in 1984. Though I upgraded to the 100 watt Boogies Mark IV later on, (which turned out to be a down-grade), because I was never able to achieve the tone of the Boogie II B heads.

My current clean tone is with my JL Rev and VOX AC50, I really like the Faces maggie may lead tone I get from this set-up. Very deep, dark and warm.

[/quote']

Nothing like a Mesa or two through a pile of speakers, IMO! [-o<

I will say though, a surprising amp is this Peavey Windsor I have. My Mesa is currently in the shop, it's been acting funny lately. So while it's down, I'm stuck with just the Windsor... I put some old Mesa 12-AX7s in place of the cheap Chinese garbage tubes they ship it with, but I'm stuck with the stock EL-34s for now. Even with the Mesas that got used for about a year and a half before being thrown in my toolbox as spares with the last tube swap, and the stock crap power tubes, I've been able to dial this head in to sound pretty impressive. ALMOST as good as the Mesa, in fact. Granted, without the Sonic Stomp in the effects loop, it still sounds like poop. But with the BBE and some halfway decent preamp tubes, it's a sweet amp. I can't wait to put all new, quality glass in it and see what it can REALLY do. Especially once I can run it next to the Mesa, rather than in place of it... O:)

I read in an interview one time that Skynyrd was really into the Peavy Mace head. I haven't seen one in a long time, but it was a 100 watt head that competed with the Marshall at the time.

I like Strat and Les Paul for a combination of tones that covers most any type of music. A Tele thrown into the mix from time to time is nice.

I'm a Blues/Rock type of guy. I'm happiest when I'm jamming some flavor of Allman Bros style.

Archived