Gibson Brands Forums

Which bands/artists defines your playing style.

Dr. Rock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two Liverpool bands:

THE BEATLES - you probably heard of them

ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - if you don't know them, the lead guitatist was the Robby Krieger of the 80s. Perfect leads, insane guitar breaks during live shows, awesome sound.

Well, if I had to name just a few: Beatles, (original) Byrds, Animals, Yardbirds, and..."Chicago" style blues, for the most part, I guess? But, there's been so many "influences!" A lot of the American musicians, that influenced the "British Invasion" (the first musical one, that is), would have to be considered, too.

CB

As much as im going to get bashed for this' date=' I gotta say the bands that really influenced me to play guitar is Blink 182 mainly and Green day. Tom Delonge is my biggest influence by far. As simplistic as his stuff is, Im just a diehard Blink Fan :-k[/quote']

Nobody should bash anybody for their musical tastes.

I'd never heard of Blink 182 so I've just checked them out and they look pretty good to me. In forty years time I've no doubt there will be threads from old codgers about Green Day and Blink 182.

At least you didn't say HR Puffinstuff.....

it entered my mind...though I was too embarrassed to say how much impact Josie And The *****cats had on my playing..or how my dream was to be the guitar player in Lancelot Link's "Evolution Revolution"....

Mr.Nelson

Rick Nelson.

all the early rockabilly guys.

Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps, Johnny Burnette and the Rock'n'Roll Trio.

all the great early rockers.

chuck berry, especially.

I have to say them because they did the job on me to get started, to keep playing..wherever I went after that it's still always had that

early period spirit and intent.

Then the 60's guys.. typically the Beatles and Stones of course.

See if you can find Bubble Puppy, or the Music Machine... and give 'em a listen.

one hit wonders but ... something about those wierd off the wall bands really got me.

Like, the 'Joiner Arkansas Junior High School Band'.. who had a hit called national city.

yeah.. a rock n roll march!

and of course, The Trashmen.

TWANG

John & Tom Fogerty were the first guitarists to intrigue me, but the electric blues pioneers (Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Hubert Sumlin, John Lee Hooker et al) have more influence. Even I find it a bit odd, but to me there is still something intoxicating about how Johnny Rivers does those Chuck Berry tunes. Has anyone else noticed the Johnny Rivers appeal?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

On a serious note, and not to sound trendy but Django caught my ear as a small child long before rock and roll did.

Here's a youtube I put together recently of Django doing his composition Nuages on electric guitar. You hear this tune a lot but it's usually the early acoustic recordings.

well...I could have said all the usual Blues and Rock roots malarkey or come up with some really obscure group no one's even heard of...let's face it...Lance rocked and who was more "roots" than that?

Mr.Nelson

I hesitated to post a serious reply to this thread, but after some thought I decided to.

It's too easy to spout off something to sound hip, but Django is/was a heavy influence on me, my playing style even when doing rock blues deteriorates into Djangoesque type runs...it's a real problem and I've never been able to really purge it from my various styles of playing.

Some folks think it sounds cool, I think it's a rut I'm in that I can't seem to escape. Unfortunately as a young child I heard Django a lot and became hooked long before I was playing guitar or listening to rock, so it ended up stuck in my head.:)

On a serious note' date=' and not to sound trendy but Django caught my ear as a small child long before rock and roll did.

Here's a youtube I put together recently of Django doing his composition Nuages on electric guitar. You hear this tune a lot but it's usually the early acoustic recordings.

[/quote']

I have a recording of Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine doing "Nuages" (I have it on at this very moment) and their "Blues For Django" is also awesome and I went through that Coryell/McLaughlin/DiMeola/DeLucia thing in the 70's but I'm not going to say I can play like that...I can maybe fake it...for a bit...love listening to it though..

Mr.Nelson

Archived