Gibson Brands Forums

45 Years Ago Tonight...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!

charlie brown

Now' date=' how'd ya like to have [i']those [/i]guitars today?

I remember when they only cost a few hundred bucks. I also recall that it was a month's cash.

John's Rickenbacker 325 has to be the most overpriced guitar on earth. John couldn't have paid more than $150 for his, and now they want closer to $5,000 for one.

I guess so...never really though of his "fat" period as him being Fat' date=' really...just huskier, I guess. His cheeks are rounder, then...

But...The "Introducing The Beatles," cover photo made them look 40 years old, and Not early 20's!

(George being Just 20, at the time).

CB

[/quote']

Cynthia really needed to pluck his near monobrow in that Vee Jay album cover.

Wow, those photo's bring back some memories! I'm not sure if this program is syndicated or not, but on Sunday mornings, a local station plays "Breakfast with the Beatles" for a few hours. They basically pick themes, etc. and play various Beatles tunes with explanations, history, who's who, etc. This past Sunday they played a lot of the intro's, interviews, etc. from The Ed Sullivan show, et al. It was a way cool trip down memory lane. I was playing in a band at the time, and we did ALL the Beatles songs that were the biggies. Now, if Paul would finally admit that 45 years has gone by, and the hair dye is starting to look a bit ridiculous LOL.

Here it is for those who would like to relive that moment. I get a lump in my throat whenever a watch this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6963424931484533250&ei=e9CQSfbLJp7OqwL715W9Cw&q=The+Beatles+Ed+Sullivan&hl=en

Reminds me of a scene in Paul McCartney's "Back In The USA" DVD, where they panned the audience,

and there was a man with his wife, who would have been mid 50's or a bit older, with tears

running down his face, and barely able to keep from breaking down, entirely. So, it's a pretty

common emotion, I think...and, for a variety of reasons, as well.

CB

Gretsch

Ludwig

Rickenbacker

Hoffner

EPIPHONE! woo!!

didn't they open for Roy Orbison once? (then decades later George Harrison and Roy Orbison were in a band together...)

Yeah, they were on tour, with Orbison, in England...1963. Orbison was the headliner, to begin with, but

eventually had to be the "support' act, for The Beatles, as they were just taking over everything, by then.

And, many years later, "The Traveling Wilburys!" George, Roy, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne.

CB

Reminds me of a scene in Paul McCartney's "Back In The USA" DVD' date=' where they panned the audience,

and there was a man with his wife, who would have been mid 50's or a bit older, with tears

running down his face, and barely able to keep from breaking down, entirely. So, it's a pretty

common emotion, I think...and, for a variety of reasons, as well.

CB[/quote']

Its true man. I took my 3 twenty something kids with me to Columbus to see Macca on his last tour. We all were hanging in there until Paul dedicated Let It Be to John, George and Linda. That was it turn on the waterworks. We stood there all holding onto each other, crying and singing along. To this day still one of my most memorable moments.

The 4 of them together was/is such a gift hard to believe its been 45 years.

My biggest memory of that night goes something like this:

The Ed Sullivan Show was broadcast on Sunday Nights, so the next day it was back to school for little MIDI...boy! I was seven years old and in the second grade. This was a Catholic grammar school in the middle of New York City, by the way, complete with uniforms. Well everyone in school was talking about The Beatles ... especially the older kids (the seventh and eight graders).

The really big surprise came later that afternoon when we went to Woolworth's (a now defunct chain of variety stores that was sort of the pre-cursor to K-Mart and the like). About 25% of the store's main floor was devoted to Beatles paraphernalia. Books, magazines, buttons, lunch boxes, wigs, shirts, school bags and, of course, records ... or at least, THE record.

It was the most amazingly coordinated merchandising blitz ever! In fact, the only time I think it was ever close to being matched was only a couple of short years later ... when Batman premiered on TV!

Looking back, these seem like such innocent times. Its funny to think how much everything would change in the remaining six years of that decade.

MIDI

Yeah, "Beatles" music has such a great positive "vibe" to it, anyway...which transcends generations and

cultures, which is one reason it's still such a force, really. It's hard to argue with "All You Need Is Love,"

regardless of time/eras. Although, no doubt, some will continue to try?

CB

Archived