Gibson Brands Forums

Best Bang for the Buck Les Paul

What's the best for the buck new LP? The criteria is that it has a carved top' date=' neck through body and be a quality instrument, not a beginner model.[/quote']

I bought a new Goldtop Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Guitar from Musician's Friend for $380 in 2006. Nice guitar, they came stock with open coil pickups but I put covers on them.

LP%20goldtop%20body.jpg

Although' date=' if the criteria is a carved top, with a set neck, and you just want a quality instrument thats not a beginner, an epi LP studio fits the bill. From there on up its just asthetics. [/quote']

+1 on the studios

I have one and except for it not having that very thin maple cap and no body binding ( I like the clean uncluttered look) it is a great guitar, at least mine is. The stock pick ups are decent open coil ( I still have the stock ones in mine ) the only time my neck pick up tends to "muddy" up is when I roll the tone all the way off. If you find them not to your liking then easy enough to swap out.

Capt

The Studio specs look cool. When they say Mahogany body with carved top, what type of wood is the top? The Standard Plain has Maple veneer over carved top. Same top wood? Aren't the original LPs Mahogany with carved Maple tops? Sorry for all the wood questions. I've been out of the loop for a while.

Does it have to be a NEW guitar? I ask because I got a Gibson Les Paul Classic honeyburst for $750 and a black Gibson LP Studio for $600 used from pawn shops. Both are excellent guitars. Both required setups and minor repairs but compared to the price of a new Epi it was a great alternative to new retail prices.

Does it have to be a NEW guitar? I ask because I got a Gibson Les Paul Classic honeyburst for $750 and a black Gibson LP Studio for $600 used from pawn shops. Both are excellent guitars. Both required setups and minor repairs but compared to the price of a new Epi it was a great alternative to new retail prices.

Nope. It's used as soon as I take it out of the showroom, so that doesn't bother me. I'm just thinking about getting an LP this summer.

If you mean the Epiphone Les Pauls, then my vote is for the Standard Plain Top.

If Gibson, the the LP Standard Traditional Pro, or (for a pure working man's instrument) the LP Vintage Mahogany.

Red 333

[Edit] I listed currently available models. I agree with others that if you can find an Elitist, to snag it.

The Studio specs look cool. When they say Mahogany body with carved top' date=' what type of wood is the top? The Standard Plain has Maple veneer over carved top. Same top wood? Aren't the original LPs Mahogany with carved Maple tops? Sorry for all the wood questions. I've been out of the loop for a while.[/quote']

Here's a stripped Studio with the plain maple 'top' removed. You can see where the 'cap' blends into the body. Looks like solid Philippine mahogany to me. It still has the African mahogany veneer on the back.

studiobodycore.jpg

I own only one EPI so I might not have the best answer.

I bought a new Ultra 2 last year.

It has a 3rd pickup at the base of the neck called a Nanomag. It gives you a kind of shimmering acoustic sound.

This pickup has a separate set of controls on the back of the guitar, but is also controlled with the main volume on the front. This pickup adds a completely new sound to the Les Paul design.

Go to the Epi site and there is a demo there. It might interest you.

What's the best for the buck new LP? The criteria is that it has a carved top' date=' neck through body and be a quality instrument, not a beginner model.[/quote']

It doesn't have to be an Epiphone? And it doesn't have to say "Les Paul" on it? :-

al3000rootbeerspotter1.jpg

Archived