Gibson Brands Forums

effect pedal you can't live without?

S t e v e

I have three..that will come with me anywhere...first being Greenhouse FX No Brainer Distortion, second being Plum Crazy FX Fuzzy Lady (best fuzz pedal out there...check gearmandude's review) third being BBE Sonic Maximizer....I have never heard pedals like these three, there just incredible....Im getting a Luther Drive on monday, so we'll see how that works, Ive heard great reviews about it, and im getting sick of my fulltone v4 OCD.. I have a ISP Decimator as well, but dont even use it anymore...Its defintley one of or the best noise supression pedal out there for the money, but it wont eliminate unwanted feedback, and i think alot of people have that impression, that thats what these kind of pedals do..I dont believe the boss can eliminate feedback can it?..are there such a thing as feedback eliminating pedals?

greenhouse_nobrainer_001.jpgPCFL1.jpg701892.jpg

I agree 100% that Noise Suppression is a must in most guitar rigs, but I don't consider it an "effect" pedal.

(Mine is a rack mount Hush Super C)

I see it in the same line of tools as a line attenuator and such, it's just a "given" that it's there and needed, like cables.

Now, for me, as far as effect goes, I at one time would say an OD pedal but since I no longer use 2203 amps, my Mark IV

does all my OD now, I will go with a Compressor. I use a compresser of some kind "always on" as part of my basic tone

to keep my sound tight and focused. It also provides some boost to juice the signal a bit more.

I agree 100% that Noise Suppression is a must in most guitar rigs, but I don't consider it an "effect" pedal.

(Mine is a rack mount Hush Super C)

I see it in the same line of tools as a line attenuator and such, it's just a "given" that it's there and needed, like cables.

Now, for me, as far as effect goes, I at one time would say an OD pedal but since I no longer use 2203 amps, my Mark IV

does all my OD now, I will go with a Compressor. I use a compresser of some kind "always on" as part of my basic tone

to keep my sound tight and focused. It also provides some boost to juice the signal a bit more.

what kind of compressor do use? and what do you set it at if i may ask? Attack, Trim etc?....do you use it only for clean and slight overdriven, or everything?

what kind of compressor do use? and what do you set it at if i may ask? Attack, Trim etc?....do you use it only for clean and slight overdriven, or everything?

I use a DBX 266XL in my rack. It and my Hush are in the amp's FX loop.

It's "always on" regardless of clean or OD.

I don't remember my settings on it.

I initially set it to how Willie Adler (LOG) had his set to in a picture I came accross on the internet

and then tweaked it from there. My rig is down at my band's studio so I can't check the settings but you might can

make them out in this picture:

gibsonsteel002.jpg

Before I used the DBX, I was using a Boss GT-8's internal compressor, LOL - I don't recall those settings either.

I used a Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer (the old 3 knob stomp) prior to all above and I do have those settings:

Level: 3 o'clock, Attack: 2 o'clock, Sustain: between 1 o'clock & 2 o'clock (aimed at the upper right corner of the stomp)

the only pedal i need 24:7 is my "RAT" distortion pedal. and cabba, im absolutely in love with your v [drool]

Thanks!

It's a 1981 that I restored from someone's botched refinish. The finish I had put on it is a cross between a satin and a flat.

The paint is actually some kind of auto paint, it's like teflon as nothing sticks to it, sweat scum wipes right off clean in a single pass.

The pickguard and truss cover are stainless steel, the Gibson logo is actually cut out of the cover too!

All switches & jacks are switchcraft, the pots are EMG, the pups are an 81/85 Zakk Wylde set, Grover 18:1 gears, Gotoh ABR TOM bridge, Schaller fine tuning tail.

Graphite nut, Schaller strap locks and some flat black alloy knobs, on the rear is a routed battery box for the active EMGs.

Not worth a dime to a collector anymore, but I love the hell out of it.

Thanks!

It's a 1981 that I restored from someone's botched refinish. The finish on it is a cross between a satin and a flat.

The paint is actually some kind of auto paint, it's like teflon as nothing sticks to it, sweat scum wipes right off clean in a single pass.

The pickguard and truss cover are stainless steel, the Gibson logo is actually cut out of the cover too!

All switches & jacks are switchcraft, the pots are EMG, the pups are an 81/85 Zakk Wylde set, Grover 18:1 gears, Gotoh ABR TOM bridge, Schaller fine tuning tail.

Graphite nut, Schaller strap locks and some flat black alloy knobs, on the rear is a routed battery box for the active EMGs.

Not worth a dime to a collector anymore, but I love the hell out of it.

your so awesome [woot]

Yeah fuzz is good. In my first band everything I played was either totally fuzz laden or super clean and subtle. Two extremes. I used a lot of wah wah too. We were psycho-delic. We just smoked a lotta weed and jammed in my friends garage. Good times..

I'm on a super Black Keys kick lately. And no matter what, no sound other than a fuzz can come close to it. Fuzz through a slightly overdriven amp = bliss

Black Keys are awesome. I love Brothers.

Yeah my Big Muff starts sounding like a fuzz and not a distortion when I have my amp overdriven and I turn the tone (on the Muff) down to about noon.

Someone here gave me the idea to set my amp overdriven and they were SO right about it.

Lol I've certainly done my share of 2 piece noise rock too.

Black Keys are awesome. I love Brothers.

Yeah my Big Muff starts sounding like a fuzz and not a distortion when I have my amp overdriven and I turn the tone (on the Muff) down to about noon.

Someone here gave me the idea to set my amp overdriven and they were SO right about it.

Lol I've certainly done my share of 2 piece noise rock too.

Great music they put out, better than White Stripes IMO, but I still love White Stripes...

I'm doing a two part band with my friend, I just bought a Blue Yeti mic off of eBay, when I get it, I'll try and get some recordings of us up here

Cool man. I've only got recordings of my first band and they're all improvised so they're not great. A couple songs are pretty cool I guess.

Unfortunately we didn't get any good recordings of my last band and we split up so those songs will probably never be heard again in their entirity.

If only I had a drumset and some recording gear... I could do it all lol.

Archived