Gibson Brands Forums

Help! (your opinions, please)

RASHARU

Hey everyone. I've been busy & haven't had time to post in a while (sorry!). Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyway (if you'll remember way back to March) I originally posted with questions regarding an upgrade to the tuner buttons on my J-45 Vine. I simply didn't like the engraved gold "bean shaped" buttons that came on my guitar. Well, I finally found a couple of alternatives that I believe are kinda cool & I'd appreciate your help in deciding which button to go with.

So, what'll it be? The GOLD keystone shape -or- the COOL grained ivoroid tulips?

IVORYvsGOLD.jpg

Gold. the white ones are cool (and usually my first choice over gold) but on this guitar they look completely out of place.

I was actually kinda thinkin' the same thing but I couldn't really put it into words like you did. Yes, the white ones are EXTREMELY cool (and were a very difficult find) but the gold ones seem to "fit" the package better. It's really a tough decision for me, believe it or not.

The white (grained ivory) buttons were intended to slightly mimic the look of vintage plastic Kluson buttons, without actually changing the entire tuner mechanism. They also match the ivoroid headstock binding. I had originally tried a beautiful pearloid set but they looked strangely "cheap" for some reason. Gold is always a good choice but it can be difficult to keep clean & polished. Decisions, decisions.

I'll bite in case you really don't know - Grover Imperials

Some, including me think they've got a great look without being too glitzy. Gibson has been installing them on some of their nicer guitars since the 50s (back then they were known as Grover DeLuxe).

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Imperials.html

Gold

DSC_0238.jpg

MOP (or other material - http://www.crazyparts.de/mode/groverimperial/index.php)

(US - http://www.wdmusic.com/grover_replacement_tuner_buttons.html)

tunersmod.jpg

Good to see you back.

Love your vine. B)

I'll bite in case you really don't know - Grover Imperials

Some, including me think they've got a great look without being too glitzy.

Good to see you back.

Love your vine. B)

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. The Imperial BUTTONS do have a classy look (and are readily available) but they've just never suited my particular taste. I had a set on a nice Dean acoustic once .. and yes, Dean does make a surprisingly nice quality guitar for the money. Exotica QSR or QSE, or something like that...

If you want them to blend in, then go gold.

If you want them to 'pop', go white. The white really enhances the binding on the headstock. and to some extent, the pearloid graphics.

Might be best to see the entire guit tar to see the entire effect, though.

Archived