Gibson Brands Forums

are you scared of heights?

S t e v e

Not quite OT, but...I love roller coasters.

[thumbup]

EDIT: OK, frankly, the first lift and drop are the most intense parts of the ride. The rest of it is fairly predictable, even tame by my own recollection. It's a lot of fun, but I remember being sincerely let down by it--I was expecting all sorts of incredible parts. I will, however, say that some people have supposedly blacked out during the ride, mostly from that crazy first drop. I have not, but I was only on it once and I wasn't in the front seat or the back seat. To date, my favorite roller coasters are Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion (a Civil War themed coaster that holds special memories because it was the first wooden coaster I ever rode) and Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure. Pardon the self-indulgence in this post.

I was just at Kings Dominion last week and rode about everything BUT the Intimidator. Not that I wouldn't ride it, we just ran out of time. It did look very scary though.

I've worked on microwave and radio towers in the 200-300 foot range but never anything that high although after 100 foot or so it really wouldn't matter you can only be so dead if you fall. The thing I was surprised at his how exhausting it can be to climb those suckers it really is a job for young healthy guys and the slightest bit of wind makes it even more interesting especially mounting dishes.

I never been on a big crane but I have done big fire ladders and those are worse than a tower any day they bounce with each step when your up high which is a very uncomfortable feeling even if you were not hanging over a burning building.

Ive also been skydiving quite a bit and love that however bungee jumping made me very uncomfortable and I hated Iltra lights and hang gliding guess I dont trust equipment enough.

bungee jumping made me very uncomfortable

Three separate times I was working for a crane company who rented a crane to a bungee jumping outfit on Galveston Beach.

I weaseled out of the assignment all three times.

For the first time in my life I feared liability and involvement in a death.

I watched it a few times, and heard about the fast-buck operators of the racket.

People get all liquored up and then decide they wanna be bad.

The operators wanted us to allow the jumpers to go into the water on the second bounce if they didn't do it on the first.

Let's see...

Drunk.

Scared.

Never done anything like it before.

Upside down.

And you want ME to submerge them in water and then let them flop around in the air for another 30 seconds?

If they aspirated water, good luck getting them unhooked in time to do CPR.

No f-ing thanks....

[-X[-(=;

I was just at Kings Dominion last week and rode about everything BUT the Intimidator. Not that I wouldn't ride it, we just ran out of time. It did look very scary though.

Oh man, Intimidator was loads of fun--next time you're out there, do that one first, because I remember the line being inordinately long. Frankly, though, I wouldn't rate it as highly as Dominator or Shockwave. The thrill of the first massive drop is really great, but the rest of it is merely nice in a pleasant, but not outstanding or exhilarating, sort of way.

When I was 19, I was working for a construction company. I worked with the surveyor. We were putting putting in a road and a bridge. I would have to walk out on the beams to snap chalk lines and hold the pole for the surveyor. At the highest, I was probably only about 30-40 feet up, but when you're standing on a beam that's only about 12 inches wide with no harness or anything holding you, it seems a whole lot higher [unsure]

Hey Steve,

Great video! You wouldn't see me climbing that high up on ladder rungs without a cage. I think I would personally be using a motorcycle helmet instead of those bulky useless hard hats. Helmets are only good if you manage to hook up your safety line before you fall! You gotta be a little crazy to do those kind of jobs like the guys who walk I-beams when constructing skyscrapers. You also have to deal with the wind blowing on you and moving the structure. [scared]

Rewd.

When I started doing crane work in the early eighties, the crack down started on riding hooks or loads.

We would still do it if the job was away from the general public, but by the nineties it was a BIG No-No.

Iron workers got PISSED when I told them they couldn't hitch a ride on my hook.

[-X[cursing]

Iron-headed, iron-assed, and not receptive to anybody explaining any rules and sh!t to them...

:angry: [-(#-o

My observations lead me to think that he believes in rules, unless those rules happen to be bullsh!t.

Is that about right, Neo?

Pretty much.

And if the rules are bullsh!t, don't just break 'em and get yer nuts knocked. (See list of alphabet agencies in my signature...)

Challenge them and change them.

My observations lead me to think that an unrelenting offense beats the hell out of a cowering defense.

[thumbup] B)

if so then don't watch this...

i feel sick :blink:

My link

That video is insane. I actually got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. Not sickening but dizzying. I think my sphincter slammed shut.

I get a little uncomfortable on a 10 foot ladder. After going up and down a few times, it gets easier. Still don't like though.

Dave

I love the way they ignore safety to "get the job done quicker"......faster, stronger, quicker......the six million dollar man! Wow!

Case in point: Deep Water Horizon.

"Pop to champagne boys. We got 'er plugged!" \:D/

I watched about 3 minutes of that video. Whatever happened to the words, "Dont' look down."?

"What do you do for a living Dad?" "I change light bulbs and get paid quite handsomely" [cool]

`

Imagine how those doods felt up on the moon !

I mean, if you jumped too high and fell back to

earth. It's just like Butch Cassidy said "It don't

matter if you can't swim. The fall itself is gonna

kill ya!" .... How to exceed terminal velocity !

`

Archived