Gibson Brands Forums

My R9 Refinish Pics

deepblue

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1, the guitar looked perfect in the first pic... but really promising project.

I just fell out of favour with the red. I was deciding on if I should try and fade it, but with todays new dyes it would take along time and I dont want to risk damage. So, I took the plunge and put my trust in Fred. I have every confidence in him.

Hey Blue, looking great... I love guitar projects! I hope your project goes well and you get the end result you want. My Gold top project took like a year and a half. I had a few botched attempts though which slowed things down. The end result was worth the wait though... It's so cool to see an idea or a picture in your head come to life... Best of luck!! I'll be following this thread...

That's insane! It's like watching a child during surgery... I was hurting lookin at it, LOL. He looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. It would definitely take a great luthier take on a job with a beauty like that. So what's your payment, he gets to keep it? LMBO! rhetorical

I just fell out of favour with the red. I was deciding on if I should try and fade it, but with todays new dyes it would take along time and I dont want to risk damage. So, I took the plunge and put my trust in Fred. I have every confidence in him.

Yea, I agree that the red gets old after a while. When I was buying my R8 I waited until I found one on Iced Tea, I ended up paying more for the color but it was worth it. I take it he is not refinishing the back? noe neck reshape?

Fred's one of the best luthiers in this area. I also started fading my R0 (indoors).

Maybe there's a bug in the air? [biggrin]

Hehe, I out my R8 in the sunlight this weekend, only 5 minutes at the time as it gets hot to the touch. I am planning on leaving it by the window under inderect sunlight.

Fred's one of the best luthiers in this area. I also started fading my R0 (indoors).

Maybe there's a bug in the air?

Tim, you were the one who told me about Fred. As always, great information!

To all you guys, thanks for the positive vibes. Im really excited about this. :)

Wow dem00n I'm impressed man. You used the word redundant properly and everything.

I'm not trying to be a ****. Seriously a while ago you would have never used a word like that.

It would be interesting to string it up with the finish taken off the top to see if there really is a difference. It even looks cool natural.

I think I'm gonna like the lemon burst better than the cherry. Lemon burst is probably my favorite. It's hard to say whether I like it more than the finish on Tim's PG though.

Hard to look at those pictures of the top being stripped off. I think I liked the cherry a lot better than the lemon. eusa_think.gif IMO you should have just aged the cherry finish to get a vintage look out of it. msp_biggrin.gif

Im having old school nitro applied, so if I want it to crack ( I dont )all I have to do is leave it in the cold and bring it back quickly into a warm room.

Fred warned me that the original nitro formula doesnt have the elasticity of the newer Les Pauls, but im okay with that. I know the down side. The up side is that it will allow the wood to breathe better than new stock.

Wow dem00n I'm impressed man. You used the word redundant properly and everything.

I'm not trying to be a ****. Seriously a while ago you would have never used a word like that.

It would be interesting to string it up with the finish taken off the top to see if there really is a difference. It even looks cool natural.

I think I'm gonna like the lemon burst better than the cherry. Lemon burst is probably my favorite. It's hard to say whether I like it more than the finish on Tim's PG though.

Belive it or not redundant is one of my most used words. [lol]

I really like what you're doing with it, and I prefer the lemon drop finish over the cherry. I'd just be scared shitless to do it.

Archived