Gibson Brands Forums

Jack White Appreciation Thread

Silenced Fred

I like Jack White a lot actually. Passion is more than half the battle IMO. BTW, does Jack use a germ or a silicon fuzz? His sound tends to make me believe he is a muff or silicon type fuzz dude? You know, speaking of fuzzy bands, a lot of people say the secret to the Black Key's sound is a Big Muff, and I totally disagree. I nail his sound cranking my marshall and jacking that 69 fuzz all the way up and letting it rip! I use to have a russian muff and it was way to dark for his sound.

BTW, my cover band is doing "Dead leaves and the dirty ground" and I'm having fun playing it...

Cheers,

J

Jack White and John Lennon are so much alike in many ways..., incredibly:

-- in touch with their inner-artist

-- multi-talented to the point of genius

-- multi-instrumentalist and even on some less-than-popular instruments

-- conversant in roots music culture and how that translates to making modern music better

-- diverse with talents that span musical genres and also into other artistic forms such as theatre/film

-- repulsed by conventional wisdom as a dictator of career paths

-- willing to do what they feel is important instead of what A&R says to do

-- in tune with "pop culture" and how to exploit it (marketing)

-- poor taste in women as mates!

Jack W. didn't inspire me to play guitar --- I had been at it for a few years already --- but his Stripes work did put me on a path to turn pro, so I do share a great deal of appreciation for him both as an artist and as a motivator to some of us who needed to see music careers with a fresh new perspective.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on [cool]

Who got your panties in a bunch? Don't needa spread hate if you don't wanna... geez

Panties in a bunch? Spread hate? His post couldnt have been more tame. Does that comment really get to you? Can you really not handle something other then aboslute adoration for one of your guitar idols? Wow, some people are very sensitive. Phewee. I dunno maybe you were kidding. I hope so

Panties in a bunch? Spread hate? His post couldnt have been more tame. Does that comment really get to you? Can you really not handle something other then aboslute adoration for one of your guitar idols? Wow, some people are very sensitive. Phewee. I dunno maybe you were kidding. I hope so

No, but just why post and say "No". If you don't like him, move on.

I have songs from the White Stripes that I absolutely hate and can't listen to, same with Dead Weather.

Who got your panties in a bunch? Don't needa spread hate if you don't wanna... geez

Look, I never said he was a bad player. I just like a different style of player. **shrugs**

As for my panties being in a bunch, well... impossible,as I was not wearing any at the time I made that post. [flapper]

I think he's a great musician. I love his style. He's got his own distinct style.

I'm a fan of the 2 piece set up. As I said before I'm doing a little 2 piece project with my friend right now. It's going great.

Three piece for me, but its gonna vary between a standard bass, guitar, drum line up to maybe 2 guitars and drums... should be fun

Is it just me or is Jack overrated?

It is you.

Seriously, if you only dig on polished, clean, and heavily processed/compressed guitar stuff you will hate Jack White. He is raw with very ragged tone. In the White Stripes he plays old, junky guitars that do not intonate and dirty Silvertone amps. The only thing he and Buckethead* have in common is huge passion for guitar. Both are great showmen too, but in very different ways.

What's his best tune so I can have a listen?

For something a little more refined check out his work with the Raconteurs. In that group he plays a Gretsch so the guitar is at least in tune.

*Guessing you like this cat based on your avatar.

Archived