Gibson Brands Forums

Rosetta Stone

Californiaman

Any body have any experience with Rosetta Stone?

I've seen it in action and believe it's a good program.

I'm thinking of getting it for my son. He wants to learn Japanese.

If you could learn another language which would it be?

Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese, German, Klingon?

I speak fluent Farsi and Spanish courtesy of the US Navy.

I speak enough Japanese to get by, or get me in trouble depending on the situation. When we go to a hibachi Japanese steakhouse I kid the Japanese cook's a bit because I can speak it better than them.

I would say just make sure you like the method, we all have different learning preferences.

I have seen some samples and it is not for me. I am fluent in English and Spanish and not too bad with Portuguese and Rosetta Stone would not have kept my attention.

I would say just make sure you like the method, we all have different learning preferences.

I have seen some samples and it is not for me. I am fluent in English and Spanish and not too bad with Portuguese and Rosetta Stone would not have kept my attention.

You probably havnt checked all the options because on my Rosetta Stone you can change the settings to make the software teach you like 50 different ways, you can custom build the way that you feel most comfortable learning.

That being said i do like how they incorperate pictures with the learnin and do not tell you what every single word means, it is done intentionally to get you to THINK in another language not just memorize.

Think about it, when you were a little kid your mom would point to a car and say CAR, that is the most basic and powerful way to teach is by sight and sound.

I took Mexican in my first two years of High School. Total waste of time! By the end of the year last year I was so fed up with Mexican II that I just stopped doing the work for that class for the whole last quarter of the year. And I still passed for the year with an 81! msp_flapper.gif

And now, just because of that class and the horrible b!tch I had for a teacher, I never plan on even attempting another language ever again. dry.gif

I took Mexican in my first two years of High School. Total waste of time! By the end of the year last year I was so fed up with Mexican II that I just stopped doing the work for that class for the whole last quarter of the year. And I still passed for the year with an 81! msp_flapper.gif

And now, just because of that class and the horrible b!tch I had for a teacher, I never plan on even attempting another language ever again. dry.gif

I really like the program, although I have never seen the one for Japanese. I'm actually a big fan of the "old-fashioned" way of learning a foreign language, i.e. with books and a lot of grammar, but I suspect the Rosetta Stone method will be perfect for learning an Oriental language. One thing to think about, however, is that when learning a language with a computer program, success depends on self-motivation. Your son may do better if he can attend a class parallel to his independent study at home; a private tutor would be another way to help keep him focused.

I suppose I'd learn Spanish because without it, living in Miami as I do, I'm almost unemployable unless I go back into business for myself.

What I've seen of the program didn't impress me, but it was only the very beginning of it. Once a foundation is developed, maybe it gets better.

You probably havnt checked all the options because on my Rosetta Stone you can change the settings to make the software teach you like 50 different ways, you can custom build the way that you feel most comfortable learning.

That being said i do like how they incorperate pictures with the learnin and do not tell you what every single word means, it is done intentionally to get you to THINK in another language not just memorize.

Think about it, when you were a little kid your mom would point to a car and say CAR, that is the most basic and powerful way to teach is by sight and sound.

Like I said, Rosetta Stone would not have kept my attention, my wife is trying to learn with it and it is not for me. You may have missed the part where I said I am fluent on both English and Spanish, this is at a professional level.

For me the most powerful way to learn a language is to interact with people that speak the language I am trying to learn. maybe I am just old school. I believe in full immersion, sink or swim....you will find that you'll swim.

The only reason my Portugese is not great is because the only two friends I know that speak it moved away.

Like I said before we all have different learning styles, find one that works for you but with the price on Rosseta Stone you better get a trial version to make sure you like it.

For me the most powerful way to learn a language is to interact with people that speak the language I am trying to learn. maybe I am just old school. I believe in full immersion, sink or swim....you will find that you'll swim.

I too believe in total immersion. It's a very effective way to learn a new language.

Archived