Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Names?

Silenced Fred

Anyone else name their guitars? And is there an actual story behind the name or just because?

I named my acoustic Denise because it just worked when I walked out of the store with her, no idea why.

My Les Paul is named Kristen because I met a hot redhead named Kristen once and I really like the name.

Bass is named Eve because it just seemed to work and popped in my head.

No idea for the Strat monstrosity that actually gets a good amount of play time now, any suggestions? [flapper]

My SG standard is named Cadee (kay-dee) because it means beautiful or some crap like that.

My SG-I (thats for sale in the TP) is named Cheyenne because I had a crush on the Cheyenne character from Reba's show when I got it.

My Epi LP is name Paige, because of Jimmy Paige, duh.

My Gretsch is named Emma, because the first song I learned to play on it was Emma by Alkaline Trio

My acoustic is named Amber, because the girl I was dating when I got it said, "name it after me" so I did.

My Dean razor V is called 'The Grail' my friend named it that, I'll have to find out why one day.

and my Tele doesn't have a name yet.

I used to name my guitars after girlfriends, and after close platonic female friends. But girlfriends come and go. I am 47, my girlfriend is older than I am. And for some reason, naming them has lost it's appeal for me...Besides, when I left my wife in 2004, she managed to steal ten of my best guitars, and the fact that they were named after close female friends, made it hurt on a personal note above and beyond the loss financially and otherwise. Besides, my collection of guitars is over fourty ( I don't keep count anymore ), so keeping track of their names is difficult, kinda like trying to remember all the names of the women I knew during my gigging days; one could try, but it's not practical to do so. Many famous players do name their instruments, often after women. I suppose we do this because our guitars are so personal to us, and we kinda think of them as our 'other'girlfriends.

..No...no....Shred said that he just Rocks.....yep that is how I roll.......hand me that black SG...OH now I would like to have someone say which one.......but even with 5 black SG's in a rack I would not be like...yo ..hand me Lilly cause I think the way I feel calls for her.......ha ha ha.....you will never get any pu$$y if you are all naming guitars.........You ain't BB King.........bwaaa hah ahha ha ...now get out in the real world ......

My Hamer Echotone has alway been referred to as the "Red Headed B***h"

it the only 25.5 scale neck guitar I own, and she wears my a** OUT every time I play her.(it makes a difference)

but the other two are just "The Junior", and "The Paul".

I didn't have names for my guitar before i had Two if them, suddenly They needed to be differentiated. They're not very clever....

"Grama", my white Strat

"'Ol Blue", my Sapphire Deluxe Strat

"Buddy", my Red and White Polka Dot Buddy Guy Start (fast becoming my got to guitar, it's Gigging this weekend)

"Ronnie 'The Hawk'", my Gibson Nighthawk

"Joe", my Joe Pass Emperor II jazzbox

Without Names,

"My V" Ibanez Flying V

"My Acoustic" Fender GDS-500

"My Broken Guitar"- Fender FR-50 Resonator

I named my acoustic Denise because it just worked when I walked out of the store with her, no idea why.

You named it Denise because you are a white guy...sorry inside joke I could not resist.

I do not name my guitars, seems forced to me, even if the names have a meaning is almost like you have to come up with a meaning.

Contrary to most, I have named most of my guitars. Not that I expect them to jump out of their cases and run to me when I call them.

My wife knows exactly which guitar I'm referring to by name. If I mentioned the Northern or Robot LP or R0 or ES-339, I would have to point them out. My acoustic is just "the acoustic". Strangely enough, they are all girl names. I've never known a person with the same names I've used.

A harmless endeavour and they do all have their own distinct personalities.

Dave

Evie (Taylor) I didn't name her, She told me her name the first time I touched her.

Sophia (Epi LP Standard) because she is curvy and classy and difficult, like Spohia Loren.

Damian (Ibanez Custom S) because he is EEEEEEEEEVVIIIIIILLLL!!!!!!, in a good way. Pure wicked tone, easy as the beaten path called the road to hell.

Rico (Rickenbacker 4001)rrrriccooo... suave.....

Never. Also don't name my amps, my pedals, my hammers or screwdrivers, my cars... all are tools.

It's simple: no heartbeat, no name.

I named my car... I call it the bat mobile, but it usually changes depending on the day. (I'm totally kidding on that)

I don't know, all you hear about is people naming their guitars and stuff, just thought I'd ask. I guess it is uncommon then.

And my friend named my classical the other day. She calls it Juno because I played her some stupid "indie-like" song on it.

Archived