Gibson Brands Forums

What is your personal guitar setup

Kimbabig

Not much discussion of this topic, so any special things you do? just curious. The poll is very general, I know but please discuss. [biggrin]

talk about what you like, don't limit your discussion to the poll. I considered putting this in one of the guitar threads, but there is no "general Gibson discussion" subforum and I don't want the discussion limited.

I realized after months of using 10s that I prefer 9s, and low action.

I use thick picks. Actually, I use my fingers. But back when I used picks, I liked 'em thick.

So why did you start using only your fingers? Was it because you lost them, were you following Jeff Beck?

PS. how stupid of me not to make fingers a choice, it is now a choice.

I play eponymously...that is to say I like variety/versatility..... [rolleyes]

I have guitars with 9's, 10's and 12's for the different tone and feel possible

Actions on the low side (even allowing buzz with 9's) for light fretting and speed

I use hard picks which I find easier to control

And fingerstyle for more interesting chord voicings and harmonic runs etc

And even a bit of Classical..... [wink]

:-({|=

I usually follow factory setup for height.

I've used 10's for years but thinking of going up a guage or two. I have 1 guitar with a wound G & I like it. She was strung like that when I got her.

Picks I like Herco Flex 75 & Gibson mediums.

Craig

Medium/High action because I do a lot of chordings and no spectacular soloing and stuff. I want less buzz but the ability to play up the neck.

I use 10s, they feel fine to me. 9s are a little weird, but I have played guitars with 9s and guitars with 12s. Don't matter too much, just make sure its got 6 strings and kind of stays in tune.

I like medium to heavy picks, 1.14mm to about 2mm if I feel really pissed off at the guitar. I mainly stick to riffs and chords

I like my strings (10's) as low as possible with minimal buzz, and 1mm picks. Usually I set my guitars up myself, but recently I discovered the neck on my LP special had a slight bow in it and I was getting some buzz around the 12-14 frets. I took that guitar into my favorite local shop (Pittsburgh Guitars) for a pro set up. Man, there's nothing quite like getting a good set up. I think I played for about 4 hours the day I got Lester back. It was awesome. The luthier lowered my pickups a bit too, and I really like how they sound now. -A little more woody than before. They sound great with just a little distortion or some overdrive. Kinda like the guitar tone on Judas Priest's 'Sad Wings Of Destiny'. It's weird, I find myself liking less and less distortion.

Low - 9's - Medium.

I like to adjust the action until I get a tiny bit of string rattle, then bring them back up just a hair. Thats my method and I'm stickin' to it.

I also prefer Fender medium picks. Slippery little buggers, but I learned how bright and live they sound on acoustic guitar many years ago and now thats just what I prefer. I keep trying other picks but I always go back to the Fender Meds.

Medium

Thin

I'm a rhythmn guy through and through so thin picks are a must for my strumming. I aspire to be as fast a strummer as Doyle from the Misfits. I used to use 9's but when I got my LP I switched to 10's.

The action and string guage depends on the guitar for me - but picks/fingers remain the same.

Generally.

Medium/low action

11's (usually - almost never lower guage)

Heavy picks and fingers.

I actually use a hybrid style of pick and fingers together. I use a small jazz pick (tear drop) to allow plenty of room for my fingers.

I use 9's with the lowest possible action I can get without buzz. I don't really have a pick preference... but I typically play with the rounded corner of the pick. I'm not sure why.. it just feels more comfortable to me.

I play fingerstyle I guess 'cuz that's how I started back in the folkie era.

Playing rock and bluegrass and country I used various picks on various guitars.

Now? I've even done "rhythm" playing just with more finger/classical style and it can work - it just ain't likely to sound like a true "cover."

BTW, I do keep 8-38s on the SG, and have for over 35 years. Everything else is pretty much 9-42.

m

Archived