Gibson Brands Forums

Will NEVER buy another Gibson

Welshman

So you signed up on the Gibson owned and operated forum to complain that your fed up and will never buy another Gibson guitar? Ok I totally understand all your reasons I would not have ever bought a Dark fire or a Dusk Tiger because Gibson wasn't ready to sell them and rushed them to market which pretty much was painfully obvious to everyone that knew anything about guitars. What I don't understand is what your doing here now, are you venting? Are you asking Gibson for help? or are you warning all of the Gibson faithful forum members not to buy a guitar that isn't being produced anymore? or are you just trying to complain so nobody buys the new model and you can feel vindicated, if so your just wasting your time people some people will still buy the new wonder guitar and then many of them will come back and complain about how crappy it is, etc. etc. etc.

But thanks I guess - And don't worry most of us here won't buy the new Firebird X either since it's still not ready for commercial use (plus the whole butt ugly issue) but you can't slam all of the Gibson technology I love all the technology on my 1976 Recording Model and as for Gibson guitars just buy a nice reissue and you'll be back in the fold.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have read in magazines such as Guitar World; the loss of any wood was minimal at most. I have also read the factory took advantage of the flooding and used this an opportunity to expand its capabilities (i.e. finishing and adding a PLEK machine).

Yes, there was a flood and yes, there was some damage and loss of production. No, this is not a reason for Gibson to cop an arrogant attitude with the very people who are laying down money for the products they produce to sell. Flood or not, there is no good reason why Gibson could not communicate with their customers.

based on stories like this and others, i don't think i would ever order an instrument.

Besides, i've found that even playing guitars of the same model side by side, one will "speak" to me where others don't. My LP Standard was like that: i really liked the looks of the cherry burst, but the iced tea one just "felt" right when i played it... so it became mine :)

i have a Dark Fire that made the trip back to service right after i bought it for a firmware update, but i bought it after playing it in the store and really liked the way it played before purchase.

i hope everything works out for you: making music on any instrument should not be a source of stress.

Don

With all due respect, you can't exactly blame Gibson for the delay of your Standard. They were devastated by mother nature and you're complaining about having to wait as a result? Get real. Be thankful they're still in business after what they just went through. Another forum member here, rocketman, ordered a 25th anniversary PRS and I think was told wait would be around two months...but turned out being closer to six months (if not more); so, it's not just Gibson. The Dark Fire - well, what did you expect? People were questioning their reliability before they even came out and here you just bought one because they look good on paper? Untested technology and you are the tester.

This is true. PRS kept me in the dark when it was going to arrive. Actually it was their rep. The store owner told me up front that it would take up to 6 months and he was amazed when the rep told him 2 months. Even though I was not happy with the process I was very happy with the outcome. PRS is the ONLY company I will buy a guitar from sight unseen. That's because I know when I get it the guitar will be flawless, which it was. Gibson makes some fine guitars but somehow they also manage to let some duds slip through. Add technology to the mix and you're asking for trouble.

I'm truly sorry this happened to you. These types of stories are rare, even though that's not comforting for you. But if they happen enough then it makes buyers question a company's QC. I hope your problem gets resolved. I wouldn't give up on a company unless they don't give you full satisfaction. Hopefully they eventually will.

So you signed up on the Gibson owned and operated forum to complain that your fed up and will never buy another Gibson guitar? Ok I totally understand all your reasons I would not have ever bought a Dark fire or a Dusk Tiger because Gibson wasn't ready to sell them and rushed them to market which pretty much was painfully obvious to everyone that knew anything about guitars. What I don't understand is what your doing here now, are you venting? Are you asking Gibson for help? or are you warning all of the Gibson faithful forum members not to buy a guitar that isn't being produced anymore? or are you just trying to complain so nobody buys the new model and you can feel vindicated, if so your just wasting your time people some people will still buy the new wonder guitar and then many of them will come back and complain about how crappy it is, etc. etc. etc.

But thanks I guess - And don't worry most of us here won't buy the new Firebird X either since it's still not ready for commercial use (plus the whole butt ugly issue) but you can't slam all of the Gibson technology I love all the technology on my 1976 Recording Model and as for Gibson guitars just buy a nice reissue and you'll be back in the fold.

I signed up to this forum almost 2 years ago as a fan of the company.

My order for the DF was placed well before all of the production problems came to light, based on the belief that this was an extension of the robot technology that was already out there and working. As I have said repeatedly, my issues with my DF are purely down to the quality of the build, NOT the technology.

My beef here is that Gibson have learned NOTHING from the DF process. There is NO new technology in the 2010 std, it is mostly DF and DT technology in an LP Standard and yet they still can't make them on time. If they haven't got the last product right and out to customers, why launch the next one - that countdown on the site is a joke.

Look around the web, I am NOT an isolated case - the DFs were atrocious (I don't own a DT, so do not feel that I can voice an opinion). Anyone considering buying a Gibson robot before they sort this whole division out is just going to be buying a whole load of frustration.

I wonder if all these people will sell their shares and stocks in the company from their utter displeasure?

Who owns stock in Gibson?

It's not a publicly traded company.

PRS kept me in the dark when it was going to arrive.

The store owner told me up front that it would take up to 6 months and he was amazed when the rep told him 2 months.

Even though I was not happy with the process I was very happy with the outcome.

Still haven't heard anybody beat 26 months for a 20th Anniversary . . .

[cursing]

PRS is the ONLY company I will buy a guitar from sight unseen.

That's because I know when I get it the guitar will be flawless, which it was.

Gibson makes some fine guitars but somehow they also manage to let some duds slip through.

Agreed 100% Rocketman.

[thumbup]

I know how frustrating it can be. When I won my 2 goldtops they called me on Dec. 3rd and told me I'd have them by Christmas.

Then I got a call Christmas week telling me I'd have it before New Year's. Then an email saying it would be shipped soon.

Finally got them the third week of January. Man was I ticked! The waiting is the hardest part.

msp_rolleyes.gifhehehe

Firmware updates are very common with digital cameras as well. It's not a big deal. Just cause it's digital doesn't mean it's perfect. i think it's pretty good when a user can down load the updated firmware instead of having to send or bring it in for service. Weather it be a camera , or now a guitar.

I know how frustrating it can be. When I won my 2 goldtops they called me on Dec. 3rd and told me I'd have them by Christmas.

Then I got a call Christmas week telling me I'd have it before New Year's. Then an email saying it would be shipped soon.

Finally got them the third week of January. Man was I ticked! The waiting is the hardest part.

[confused]

You won two goldtops?!? And didn't have to pay for them?!? And they didn't cost anything?!?

It must be tough being you...

[biggrin]

Strictly in jest with non-flood dry humor; Do not get the 2015 Re-Tissue Historicaly Accurately Deffective DF model which will take 18 months to recieve and is sold 'as is'.......[flapper][unsure] :unsure: [scared][sneaky][drool]eusa_pray.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= ...

Strictly in jest with non-flood dry humor; Do not get the 2015 Re-Tissue Historicaly Accurate Deffective model which will take 18 months to recieve and is sold 'as is'.......[flapper][unsure] :unsure: [scared][sneaky][drool]eusa_pray.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= ...

:lol: Now that is funny! I don't care who you are.

In regards to the new Techy guitar better known as the Firebird X the only thing thats new on it is the blue tooth and its a decent idea as long as the signal isn't like the first gen wireless units. OMG my first wireless (Nady) had me so excited; saved cash for months (the first gen wireless units were very expensive) and when I plugged in my tone went from OMG to a big ole fart with the Nady. I watched the video of the X being played and it was OK although its not a player friendly guitar. Way to many positions to change tone, effects etc so I honestly cant see playing that thing live on a stage. Since I have not seen one in person I can only reflect back on the guitars of yester-year with the built in effects and while it was a cool thing to have it was not practical.

Personally I don't purchase high end guitars by any mfg; yeah they are good guitars but I just can see paying over 2.5k for any guitar. With 2.5 that would get me a new JEM, and thats a killer guitar and in the used market it would grab many a used Gibson, and many other mfg's.

You always have sincere words of wisdom, and I appreciate them.....Thanks.....[thumbup]

:lol: Now that is funny! I don't care who you are.

Thankyou Surveyer.......I post a bit of humor every so often; and it is important that it be known that no disrespect is ever meant towards any poster, threader, or Gibson.....When a thread like this one gets reather serious, I may 'break' it up a bit, to assist with breathing room, and I hope that that is the effect it has...Once again, thankyou.......

Thankyou Surveyer.......I post a bit of humor every so often; and it is important that it be known that no disrespect is ever meant towards any poster, threader, or Gibson.....When a thread like this one gets reather serious, I may 'break' it up a bit, to assist with breathing room, and I hope that that is the effect it has...Once again, thankyou.......

Damian a world without humour (UK spelling!) would be a SAD world indeed!!!

All DF owners have a sense of humour - we NEED one!

PS Cookleman, that is a SERIOUSLY cute 360 in that pic! What colour is your 330? Mine is Montezuma brown and is simply gorgeous, but I've always had a soft spot for the fireglow. If any of you guys want to see a superbly finished guitar, check out a Ric - they are in a league of their own.

`

This whole thread is soooo familiar.

Not that it's strictly "Deja Gibby".

I've seen threads almost exactly like this

for various "cult level" names linked with

elite products or new technologies or,

WCS, both combined.

Gibson might svck or be gods, as well

might MusicMan, Chevy/GM, Fender,

Canon, Sony, Nikon, Harley-Davidson,

etc etc etc.

So at the risk being accused of blaming

the victim, I'll point out that such problems

barely exist amongst those who buy only

what is currently available, with a return

privelge/policy that they intend to use as

needed, and preferably buy not just that

which is professed to be "in stock" [at a

distance] but do very much prefer to buy

only what is actually in their hands.

So yes I'll blame the victim, and no I can't

blame ONLY the manufacturor for hyping

stuff to create demand, even lust, for new

unproven stuff amongst a market full of

"new adopters", "first-kid-on-the-block",

one-upsters, etc etc. You weren't born as

sheep to the slaughter. You had to freely

CHOOSE to become that.

The only other party on whom blame can

possibly be heaped would be those who

hyped you into buying. This is kinda like

deciding who's more to blame for crimes

.... the thieves or the fences ? the hustlers

or the users ? Blame the seducer and it

might even stick, but the "victims" are still

wearing blame from head to toe, for sure.

-------------------------------

The manufacturors are in business to sell

more stuff .... and you know that .... and

they do what they hafta do. And if you are

in the business of playing music, then you

haven't got time or resources to devote to

the manufacturors' games, and they know

that. So if you wanna stop falling for this

crap, hop the fence, fix your focus on the

music and drop outa their game. As long

as you stay in the game, expect to suffer

a few "sports injuries" [not always minor].

`

`

This whole thread is soooo familiar.

Not that it's strictly "Deja Gibby".

I've seen threads almost exactly like this

for various "cult level" names linked with

elite products or new technologies or,

WCS, both combined.

Gibson might svck or be gods, as well

might MusicMan, Chevy/GM, Fender,

Canon, Sony, Nikon, Harley-Davidson,

etc etc etc.

So at the risk being accused of blaming

the victim, I'll point out that such problems

barely exist amongst those who buy only

what is currently available, with a return

privelge/policy that they intend to use as

needed, and preferably buy not just that

which is professed to be "in stock" [at a

distance] but do very much prefer to buy

only what is actually in their hands.

So yes I'll blame the victim, and no I can't

blame ONLY the manufacturor for hyping

stuff to create demand, even lust, for new

unproven stuff amongst a market full of

"new adopters", "first-kid-on-the-block",

one-upsters, etc etc. You weren't born as

sheep to the slaughter. You had to freely

CHOOSE to become that.

The only other party on whom blame can

possibly be heaped would be those who

hyped you into buying. This is kinda like

deciding who's more to blame for crimes

.... the thieves or the fences ? the hustlers

or the users ? Blame the seducer and it

might even stick, but the "victims" are still

wearing blame from head to toe, for sure.

-------------------------------

The manufacturors are in business to sell

more stuff .... and you know that .... and

they do what they hafta do. And if you are

in the business of playing music, then you

haven't got time or resources to devote to

the manufacturors' games, and they know

that. So if you wanna stop falling for this

crap, hop the fence, fix your focus on the

music and drop outa their game. As long

as you stay in the game, expect to suffer

a few "sports injuries" [not always minor].

`

BRAVO!!!

`

Phone friendly typing?

Great rationale. I'm sold. It's a keeper,

and is so new media savvy as well ....

whereas the really original reason for

my narrow columns is very old media,

inky fingers pulp paper rules/habits.

My post aren't short, I admit that. But

they aren't really all that long by word

count, cuzza the short lines. A narrow

column is spozed to facilitate "center

line" speed reading .... so I'm just out

to save you your precious time.

Plus it fits on your phreakin phone !!!

I'd never a thunk that up myselves ....

`

`

Just hadda see what's it like without all the carriage returns ....

Great rationale. I'm sold. It's a keeper, and is so new media savvy as well .... whereas the really original reason for my narrow columns is very old media, inky fingers pulp paper rules/habits.

My post aren't short, I admit that. But they aren't really all that long by word count, cuzza the short lines. A narrow column is spozed to facilitate "center line" speed reading .... so I'm just out to save you your precious time. Plus it fits on your phreakin phone !!! I'd never a thunk that up myselves ....

`

Archived