Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar would you never part with?

davidl

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's quite a few beautiful guitars I'll keep forever but if I could only take one it would be this Cocobolo 000 - It's the first guitar I ever built.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Great job on the build. First one? How are the subsequent ones?

I hope to take a course on building one day.

There is a luthier locally who teaches. The course is $4000 Canadian for a four week course. 8 hours a day. He has classes 3 or 4 times a year and there is a waiting list.

Charlie Brown,

Aren't you glad you hung onto that one?

DaveinSpain,

Great job. I bet that gold leaf was a challenge.

My father in laws 1927 fire truck has tons of gold leaf work on her. I tried playing with the gold and failed miserably.

Dave

Charlie Brown,

Aren't you glad you hung onto that one?

DaveinSpain,

Great job. I bet that gold leaf was a challenge.

My father in laws 1927 fire truck has tons of gold leaf work on her. I tried playing with the gold and failed miserably.

Dave

Hey Dave I can only take credit for the idea to do it... I took the guitar to a professional who works with gold leaf to do the job.

What guitar would you never part with? Gibson or otherwise

David - Great idea for a thread.

I'm really enjoying these posts. Lots of beautiful guitars, but my favorite story -

Charlie Brown -

What a great gift & keepsake from your mom. [thumbup]

I don't generally have emotional attachments to them. However, as my wife's father asked me on his death bed

to take good care of this Les Paul (and his daughter) I guess I'm stuck with it (and her too) [biggrin]

DSC_0011.jpg

Thats a pretty damn good reason to keep a guitar! msp_thumbup.gif

I am going to reveal myself as an old-school sentimentalist here...

My SG Special Faded. I love it dearly because:

1) My parents helped me pay for it.

2) It always brings the widest of smiles to my face.

3) It is a great guitar.

4) I feel like, more than any other item I have ever owned, it is "mine." I worked hard to get it, and then I've worked my sweat and loving touch into every inch on the neck. When I got rejected from Hamilton College and nearly had a nervous breakdown (ridiculous-but-true story) it cheered me up. When I chipped the headstock the first time, I was nearly in tears over it. I've played it with passion and desperate intensity--no matter how limited a player I am (and I am very limited--trust me) I have given that instrument all of the respect I can possibly give it.

5) I'm without it in college now, and I miss it more than I miss my mother.

6) When I play it, it's a part of me--it's the best part of me: my guitar.

I could part with any of my other instruments (with varying degrees of trepidation, because to an extent they all mean something to me) but I could never let go of my SG.

Call it silly, but that's how I feel.

Tman...

You don't look that bad - at least compared to some shots I've had of me under certain stage lighting.

XDemonknight

Yeah, I hear that. Take care of the guitar. I do hope you have something to play on a regular basis, though...

m

Archived