Gibson Brands Forums

CL Score of the month!

Riverside

Looks like I found 1961 Fender Brownface Concert Amp - along with a pair of old 12" Marshall speakers - all slammed into an ugly carpet covered box on wheels, for $150.

Does anyone recognize the speaker?

The amp itself appears to be unmolested - original tubes, power cord (and I presume caps).

I guess I have a project now.

DiAeI.jpg

JvG3dl.jpg

It plays, but I've been reluctant to wind it up without stripping the chassis out and putting it on the bench. That way, I can measure a few voltages and watch for things that might make fire.

As it was, the speakers had a cobbled up female 1/4" jack, bridged to the amp by a guitar cable. Yikes. Probably been like that for years.

One of the transformers is date coded to the 13th week of 1962, so I missed it by a year.

The speakers have no markings on them other than what's on the sticker "Made in England for Jim Marshall Products Ltd"

I would agree with the English made Celestions in the Marshall amp.

Yes, thanks. But that's pretty generic, and I'm hoping that maybe someone could help identify them in terms of age, power handling, etc.

All I've found so far is that they appear to be 8ohm speakers that were wired in series, thus showing the amp (that wants to see 2 ohms) a 16 ohm load...

I'm really surprised that this thing didn't blow up years ago.

Wow, that's a great find and just in time for a winter project.

First reaction was I would cover that amp in Fender tweed but I think a good quality black tolex would suit better.

Ugh tolex glue comes to mind, using that stuff takes practice.

First reaction was I would cover that amp in Fender tweed but I think a good quality black tolex would suit better.

No. If it's a '62 it needs to be blonde tolex. Though the knobs are brown - Fender stopped using brown tolex in 1960. Brown would look good though. Got no clue on the speakers. But you've got quite a tone beast on your hands there! Oughta be fun.

The original cabinet is gone - the one it's in appears to have been an old Marshall combo that somebody covered in carpet.

I'm seriously thinking about a reproduction cabinet in Brown tolex with a wheat grille.

I've already ordered replacement electrolytics - the orginals are way cracked and bubbly.

Looks like I found 1961 Fender Brownface Concert Amp - along with a pair of old 12" Marshall speakers - all slammed into an ugly carpet covered box on wheels, for $150. ... I guess I have a project now. ...

HA! Carpet. Classic.

Still a great find. Good luck with the project. Let's see some pics when you get her done.

It's going to be interesting.

One of the things that I've found out about it is that the "vibrato" is actually pitch-modulation vibrato - not amplitude pulsed tremolo like on later amps. It didn't work last night, but I think that's because the footswitch jack was so freaking filthy that the jumper wasn't making a connection.

Can't wait to hear it.

But I'm not putting power to it until I re-cap it and shoot about a gallon of DeOxit into the appropriate places.

The original cabinet is gone - the one it's in appears to have been an old Marshall combo that somebody covered in carpet.

I'm seriously thinking about a reproduction cabinet in Brown tolex with a wheat grille....

Nah, just vacuum and shampoo the cab. That should be good enough.

But, seriously, that does seem like a cool project. If you haven't already got a source, check out mojotone.com for cabinet boxes, tolex, and grill cloth.

Yes, thanks. But that's pretty generic, and I'm hoping that maybe someone could help identify them in terms of age, power handling, etc.

All I've found so far is that they appear to be 8ohm speakers that were wired in series, thus showing the amp (that wants to see 2 ohms) a 16 ohm load...

I'm really surprised that this thing didn't blow up years ago.

Surfpup is right that the Marshalls aren't stock. Not sure what the originals would have been and I will not (well I try) not to speculate on what I don't know. I too am suprised it (the amp) hasn't blown up due to the ohm differences. The Marshalls should be alnico based and similar to the celestion 'classic's sold today; I would speculate they are 30 watters. They probably sound great and if they need re-coning would be better as well. You seem to know your repair work and such...I'm trying to learn more about speakers, if I come with anything I'll let you know....I think you have a precious find, and when it's fixed up whether you keep it or not it should be quite valuable....

Originally it would have had 4 10 inch Jensens or Oxfords.

http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=49

I saw that, thanks.

I have a pair of Weber "Cali"s in 10", and a pair of new Jensen C10Rs. I'm going to give that a toss before I go buy any other speakers.

If I do this right, I can have it completely ready to play in a brand new cab all for just under $500.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the Acoustic 150b - nothing more than a broken solder joint. It's both loud and nasty. Some of you with the SG basses might want to look into one of these.

I listed this on eBay - but it's also on the board's trading post at a deep discount for a member.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/59131-acoustic-control-150b-bass-amp-head/

Re-capped the Concert, and ordered up a replacement cab with a set of Jensen C10Qs from JD Newell. Hope to have some pics to post up soon.

Does anyone have a lead for a replacement face plate for the brown Concert?

Sweet score man!

No. If it's a '62 it needs to be blonde tolex. Though the knobs are brown - Fender stopped using brown tolex in 1960. Brown would look good though. Got no clue on the speakers. But you've got quite a tone beast on your hands there! Oughta be fun.

No, as I am guessing you figured from your later post, brown is correct. In fact they used brown for combos through `1963 (I had a mint condition brown Princeton about 15 years ago).

That repro cab ought to be just the ticket. Why a faceplate though, this one doesn't look too bad in your pics?

Archived