Gibson Brands Forums

Beatles catalog finally on iTunes

BigKahune

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that it finally was.

I know a lot of people are against this because they view the Beatles as an "Album-as-art" kind of band. And while I agree that owning Beatles albums is essential, when The Beatles first came out, most people bought the 45s, not the entire album. My feeling is that any vehicle that gets The Beatles into the hands of a new generation is a good thing.

I think a lot of us already have the CDs anyway. I have them all, and have them ripped to my iPod, so I won't be buying. However, I can assure you that for some young folks iTunes is THE source for their music, and believe it or not school kids are digging the Beatles still.

I wonder if there will be any releases of new material (ie vault stuff) further down the road? It looks like they do have a concert film as a gift if you buy the box set, so maybe more goodies are forthcoming.

I bought a few things on iTunes, but stopped, I'd rather own hard copies of CDs and rip them to my iTunes library as MP3s instead of being stuck with AAC format.

That being said I'm surprised this wasn't made a topic earlier on today, considering it is lots of people's favourite band. I'm meh towards the beatles personally but that doesn't mean the news is any less important for the big fans.

I bought a few things on iTunes, but stopped, I'd rather own hard copies of CDs and rip them to my iTunes library as MP3s instead of being stuck with AAC format.

An excellent point. Any music I have more than a passing fancy to, as you say - I buy the CD and rip to my format du jour.

Not to mention the competitive prices on a lot of CD's now a days. I remember back when the "Discman" was the big thing and CD's would cost upwards of 20-30$ a peice! I'm pretty sure the artists didn't see any of that extra cost on the label too. Maybe that explains Napsters inital popularity? I don't know, bottom line is nowadays you can get a couple solid albums for 15-20$ on 2 for one sales and the likes; my 2/four box of albums is starting to feel the strain!

Exactly, a stolen laptop is unfortunately too common...stealing 500 CDs not so much.

I keep my iTunes library backed up. Their are two types of computer users, those who have had a hard drive crash, and those who haven't yet

I agree. However, for the record, you aren't stuck with the AAC version. You can convert purchased tunes right in iTunes from AAC to mp3.

I agree. However, for the record, you aren't stuck with the AAC version. You can convert purchased tunes right in iTunes from AAC to mp3.

Yes. But you're stuck with the original bit rate. With the CD, you can rip it to any format you want at the highest allowable bit rate, which ain't that great with lossy formats.

Now they have the most overrated band in history on itunes.

I don't think you going too impress to many people with that statement.

One of the most commercially successful, critically acclaimed and wildly popular acts in the history of music. [flapper]

I still buy the CD and rip it, which is quite nice to be honest because then I don't have to worry about scratching CD's up anymore and having to purchase a new one. I just use an iPod docking device in the car and while I'm at work before we open for the day. Plus I like album art and the fact that I have a physical copy on hand in case the worst happens with the computer. Dad isn't all that technically savvy with iTunes and the like so he will be getting the Remastered Discography on CD for Christmas.

I still buy the CD and rip it, which is quite nice to be honest because then I don't have to worry about scratching CD's up anymore and having to purchase a new one. I just use an iPod docking device in the car and while I'm at work before we open for the day. Plus I like album art and the fact that I have a physical copy on hand in case the worst happens with the computer. Dad isn't all that technically savvy with iTunes and the like so he will be getting the Remastered Discography on CD for Christmas.

Wow, lucky dad.

I download everything anymore from itunes although I see the virtues of CD ripping. I'm glad this has happened. If I needed to learn a song that I didn't happen to have from CD I'd have to ask from a friend or try to find it online which is iffy and dangerous.

I could care less about "CD" art. I've got all of the old vinyl stuff I want/need. I don't need a magnifying glass to see it, either.

I'm looking forward to finding those one or two tunes that kept me from buying a lump of stuff I didn't want.

Art/concept/whatever/indeed.

Bring on the Led Zep.

Archived