Gibson Brands Forums

Which Eagles were the best?

neilpanda

The Eagles are an amazing group that IMO sound better live than in records.

I wish the Eagles would hire everybody again and play like they did when they performed at their

1998 Hall of Fame induction. Whaddaya think?

Pict76.jpg

Personally, I can;t wait for their next Farewell tour!

Don Felder stuff is my favorite.

Add Joe Walsh, and you have a rockin' powerhouse.

(Hotel California.)

For variety, I don't think you can beat One of These Nights.

Bernie Leadon was still in the band with the Bluegrass instruments.

Their last album sucked - front to back.

We waited a decade and a half for THAT?

Though I have a Joe Walsh bias since we both come from Wichita area but the man has just made those around him better his entire career. Eagles were no exception. They were good alright but SO much better IMO after Joe entered the groove. Even made some pre-Walsh Eagles songs no doubt better with his guitar in the works.

Always bouncing around in my top 5 groups, quite often top 3.

I wish the Eagles would hire everybody again and play like they did when they performed at their

1998 Hall of Fame induction. Whaddaya think?

Pict76.jpg

Yeah as long as Henley and Frey are alive that ain't happening.

Joe and Timothy are just paid sidemen as it is.

Shame because everyone thats been in that band is extremely talented.

AND what do you guys think of Steuart Smith? I personally think he is amazing, he's had

A LOT of experience with guitar and I think he has served the Eagles well in the past 9 years.

he wouldnt be sitting up there at the front of the stage if he wast a top notch guitarist. [thumbup]

eagles6.jpg

Top notch hired gun.

Hired to replace Don Felder.

Gotta be good if yer gonna do that.

I'm sure he's a very talented guy.

Maybe if he does something outside the Eagles (fat chance) we'll see what he's really made of.

As it is, he's carrying a huge part of their sound and they ain't gonna tolerate any outside distractions.

Though I have a Joe Walsh bias since we both come from Wichita area but the man has just made those around him better his entire career. Eagles were no exception. They were good alright but SO much better IMO after Joe entered the groove. Even made some pre-Walsh Eagles songs no doubt better with his guitar in the works.

Always bouncing around in my top 5 groups, quite often top 3.

as Glenn said: Joe brought the party [thumbup]

As I've said before on here. I love Joe. I think his own stuff is great. I think the 'smoker you drink' album is a classic. Rocky mountain way is a great song. Simple but effective and Joe is just an eccentric. He's my example of a non shred guitar player that still exites you. A showman.

Long live Joe.

You young ones should take a leaf out of his book. Listen to his early stuff. 'Turn to stone' is a great example of 'haunting' playing. You don't always need loads of notes when a few good ones will do.

How to answer this question?

Joe Walsh is my favorite performer out of all of them, but he doesn't do my favorite Eagles tunes.

I like Don Henley's singing voice best, but i like the songs fry and Felder write better.

I like the early stuff a lot, but I like the Harmonies better with Timothy in the mix.

So I guess, personalities and business ethics aside, I'd have to say that they are a group with no shining star.

How to answer this question?

Joe Walsh is my favorite performer out of all of them, but he doesn't do my favorite Eagles tunes.

I like Don Henley's singing voice best, but i like the songs fry and Felder write better.

I like the early stuff a lot, but I like the Harmonies better with Timothy in the mix.

So I guess, personalities and business ethics aside, I'd have to say that they are a group with no shining star.

That's what makes a great group. The best groups are a band of good musicians that work well together.

It's no good having great musicians if they can't play together.

Another lesson for the young 'uns

Sure they do just ask Henley and Frey who the stars are.

Felder's book is very enlightening as to how it went down for the Hell Freezes Over Tour. It was finally gonna happen and Joe, Tim, and Don could get on board at a less than full fledged Eagles share.

Joe cleaning up was part of his deal and was no condition to argue.

Timothy was still basically the new guy that wasn't gonna rock the boat.

That left Felder to argue their case because up till that point it had always been 5 equal shares of the "Eagles Nest".

It's funny how a band that sang against lies, deceit, and the evils of corporate America became just that.

Love em though. Great players/singers as well songwriter/craftsmen/storytellers.msp_thumbup.gif

I highly recommend Don Felder's book Heaven and Hell (My life with the Eagles).

Great read about his humble beginnings in Florida. Learning to play guitar. Sneaking of as a youngster to meet B B King. Learning slide from Duane Allman.

And few people know he taught little Tommy Petty to play guitar.

Good read for any guitar player.

Once he joined The Eagles, they grew a pair.

AND what do you guys think of Steuart Smith? I personally think he is amazing, he's had

A LOT of experience with guitar and I think he has served the Eagles well in the past 9 years.

he wouldnt be sitting up there at the front of the stage if he wast a top notch guitarist. [thumbup]

eagles6.jpg

What a lovely Deusenberg being played there

V :-({|=

Archived