Gibson Brands Forums

Pretty Maids All In A Row!

midiman56

I just thought this was a cool image and wanted to share it with you guys ...

IMG_0021.jpg

A row of Epiphone Special II's ready to go out to the sales floor on Black Friday! (I should have moved that whatever-it-is white bass out of the way before I took the picture).

Jim

I just saw a Guitar Center Commercial for the VERY FIRST TIME on National TV

a while ago! It was great - especially the part about "Buy a Guitar and get TWO of

EQUAL of LESSER Value FREEEEEEEE!!!!! Hard shell cases included, plus bonus strings,

picks, AND a FREE 100W APMLIFIER for every customer who brings in canned goods for donation!!!

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Wait - or was it all a Dream........? [crying] WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I just thought this was a cool image and wanted to share it with you guys ...

IMG_0021.jpg

A row of Epiphone Special II's ready to go out to the sales floor on Black Friday! (I should have moved that whatever-it-is white bass out of the way before I took the picture).

Jim

That would have to be a Sterling by Music Man that probably runs somewhere between $549-$699.

I have been gassing for one of those but ..I can't pay that much for a bass made at the same Indonesian plant my Squier Jag bass was made at.

The Jag cost me $299 as you probably already know and it just can't be beat.

Those Special II's are all probably Indonesian or Daewon China. (?)

That would have to be a Sterling by Music Man that probably runs somewhere between $549-$699.

I have been gassing for one of those but ..I can't pay that much for a bass made at the same Indonesian plant my Squier Jag bass was made at.

The Sterling range has the same American hardware and electronics as their EB/Musicman counterparts. Now does that justify the price? That's up to you, but they don't need any upgrades at all. Ever. Whereas, a Squier might need a part or two to be really happenin'.

I don't know how you do it Jim, I couldn't be exposed to so many guitars on a daily basis, I'd be a trembling mess.

I may put up a strong facade, Rastus ... but don't let me fool you ... the GAS is constant and excruciating. When I told my wife I was taking this job with Guitar Center, she replied, "That's a little like having an alcoholic working as a bartender!" Funny girl she is ...

It's hard to see in the pic, but these Special II's all have flame tops! Probably as thin as a piece of paper ,,, but a really nice looking guitar for $150!

Jim

The Sterling range has the same American hardware and electronics as their EB/Musicman counterparts. Now does that justify the price? That's up to you, but they don't need any upgrades at all. Ever. Whereas, a Squier might need a part or two to be really happenin'.

I didn't know that! I just learned something new>

I may put up a strong facade, Rastus ... but don't let me fool you ... the GAS is constant and excruciating. When I told my wife I was taking this job with Guitar Center, she replied, "That's a little like having an alcoholic working as a bartender!" Funny girl she is ...

It's hard to see in the pic, but these Special II's all have flame tops! Probably as thin as a piece of paper ,,, but a really nice looking guitar for $150!

Jim

Ya, thats what I saw too. my 1st was a wine red. do they have any of those in a flame top? cause thatd be awesome! kind of like the sammy hagar model gibson. the only thing I didnt like about mine was that the headstock was just so HUGE! it offset the guitar. when I got my '99 epi, the headsock looked smaller and had a pearl inlay Epiphone instead of the silkcreen which was a nice touch.

never seen a blue lp special 2, only a G-310

Same here, but there they are! Possibly a special run for us (Guiatr Center). Very nice looking guitar too ... just a bit too "purple-y" for my taste. Sold all of them and all of the black on the first day. Still have a few of the cherryburst left for the rest of the weekend.

Jim

what exactly is black Friday anyway?

A really, really funny day where we can get great deals online and then sit on the couch and eat left over turkey, watch football, drink beer, and watch the idiots on the news that freeze their asses off waiting for retail stores to open so they can get the same deals.

Same here, but there they are! Possibly a special run for us (Guiatr Center). Very nice looking guitar too ... just a bit too "purple-y" for my taste. Sold all of them and all of the black on the first day. Still have a few of the cherryburst left for the rest of the weekend.

Jim

I've just seen a blue one in Music Junkie in Leicester UK this afternoon, £119.

Jim

Regarding those "burst" finishes, I really prefer the "teardrop" finish to the "edges only" finish. I was kinda upset when my LP Ultra arrived with the "burst" being an "around the edges" finish, rather than the teardrop. Then my Dot arrived with the teardrop pattern. Now I see these with the teardrop pattern. I'm thinking maybe the Chinese painters pick and choose which day they're gonna do the "around the edges" or the "teardrop", because the price-point of the guitar certainly doesn't seem to have an effect.

A really, really funny day where we can get great deals online and then sit on the couch and eat left over turkey, watch football, drink beer, and watch the idiots on the news that freeze their asses off waiting for retail stores to open so they can get the same deals.

I believe you're thinking of "Cyber Monday". "Black Friday" is when you get away with assault and battery over the last of a deeply discounted item. I stay away, but I have seen old ladies pushing each other around over such petty nonsense. I guess it wasn't petty to them!

Archived