Gibson Brands Forums

Should I get GC Replacement/Repair Plan?

surfaday

Hi All,

I got an Epi Dot on 10/30. I have 30 days to get the coverage and it would be $65 for 2 years repair. I'm not getting it on my strat - I figure with a solid body and parts so available and replaceable, I'm safe, unless the neck goes out or something.

But I'm not so sure on the Dot - arch top, nitro finish, etc. Includes accidental damage, shipping, etc.

Worth another $65? Or should I put it towards the Epi LP Studio I want? BTW, the Dot is flawless at the moment.

Thanks!

Walt

Dots don't have a nitro finish --- they're poly like most other Epi's. From a practical point of view, putting that $65 toward a good hardshell case will provide better protection in that it's likely to prevent a lot of those dings, etc. from happening in the first place, rather than fixing them after the fact. Unless you play a lot of rowdy places or plan to do a Pete Townshend number onstage, I'd skip the plan and buy a good case.

Please... take my advice, dont waste your money on ANY extended cover or warranty. Most policies have small print which makes them worthless. The chances are your household insurance will cover your guitar. Any damage or repairs will probably cost less than the policy and if they cost more is it really worth repairing?

Thanks for the input. I'm relieved its not a nitro finish, I didn't want to have to baby the guitar for the rest of my life. I could have sworn I read it somewhere. Probably was told by the sales guy for all I know. Sounds like its safe to forego the coverage.

Thanks!

Walter

Any other opinions still welcomed.

Dots don't have a nitro finish --- they're poly like most other Epi's. From a practical point of view, putting that $65 toward a good hardshell case will provide better protection in that it's likely to prevent a lot of those dings, etc. from happening in the first place, rather than fixing them after the fact. Unless you play a lot of rowdy places or plan to do a Pete Townshend number onstage, I'd skip the plan and buy a good case.

+1

What he ^^ said [thumbup]

+1. My Dot's two years old and no problems at all. And as someone who worked in retail/retail related for decades, extended warranty's are nothing more than icing on the "sales cake" for the retailer. The $ amount of claims against the $'s taken in is miniscule (i.e. most ext warranty's aren't necessary). I never buy them and really have never had any problems. YMMV [smile]

Thanks again.

I just have to add that I sent an email to Epiphone customer service or Gibson cs, whichever, just to satisfy myself from the horses mouth about the nitro finish, and I thought I'd have to wait till next week to get an answer.

Amazingly, the answer came within an hour! On Thanksgiving! (It is poly btw, which you probably already knew.)

That's great response time for sure!

And on another topic, though I'd like to get a Les Paul, especially since the cs was so amazing, but today, the day before black Friday, my wife said, no more guitars. Arrgh!

Oh well, the Les Paul will come another day, I'm sure.

Walt

With respect to instruments, forget the extended stuff, now if you purchase anything electronic, such as recording devices, amps, and the like, then if the cost of that extended coverage is 10% of the cost of the individual item, it is worth the added expense. GC doesn't open the items, nor check them over, not bad on their part, just the way things work. Trying to return items for tricky issues becomes a nightmare without that extra coverage.

In other words, the git you played, and know is fine, good to go.

Something in a box or plastic package, well one never knows... :unsure:

Put that $65 in a jar. Then put the cost of every other extended warranty, that you think about, in the same jar. In a year you'll have enough to cover whichever single item actually needs a repair that doesn't fall under factory warranty.

Do the same for a few years, and you'll have enough to buy yourself a nice new toy, with still enough left over for any repair any of your previously purchased items might need.

Archived