Gibson Brands Forums

Harmonica questions

Silenced Fred

that's ok Fred, even with that thread I'm still a harmonica noob. I think if you're just starting out anything in the 20-50$ price range in a C key, should be fine. Once you start rocking it then move up to the big times, and if you don't like it you're only out a few dollars and some time.

that's ok Fred, even with that thread I'm still a harmonica noob. I think if you're just starting out anything in the 20-50$ price range in a C key, should be fine. Once you start rocking it then move up to the big times, and if you don't like it you're only out a few dollars and some time.

I'm with Artillery owl on this one. My first one was a Hohner in C. Then I started getting them as gifts and now have one in C, D, A, G. Still don't play very well though.

I'll check em out. I was looking for something in the 20 dollar range and one of the neck holders because they give me Neil Young t00nez for days [flapper]

I have to look at the sales at SamAsh because I might end up with another amp as well, but we will find out tomorrow

It all depends on how you are going to use your harp. A 10 hole diatonic in the key of B flat for instance uses a second position of F. Which me means the middle 4 holes have a full scale of B flat and the left 3 holes have the scale of F which requires bending notes to complete the scale (which is known as second position). All your cool sounding blues riffs are in second position. So if your going to strap on a harp while you play guitar you are pretty much going to play in the first position like Neil Young or Springsteen. It pretty much requires you to have hands on to play cool sounding blues bends in the second position.

It all depends on how you are going to use your harp. A 10 hole diatonic in the key of B flat for instance uses a second position of F. Which me means the middle 4 holes have a full scale of B flat and the left 3 holes have the scale of F which requires bending notes to complete the scale (which is known as second position). All your cool sounding blues riffs are in second position. So if your going to strap on a harp while you play guitar you are pretty much going to play in the first position like Neil Young or Springsteen. It pretty much requires you to have hands on to play cool sounding blues bends in the second position.

Yeah, most of the stuff I would do harp in is for first position. I can barely sing and play guitar, now to try and play two instruments (I know the voice is an instrument, cut me some slack)

Yeah, most of the stuff I would do harp in is for first position. I can barely sing and play guitar, now to try and play two instruments (I know the voice is an instrument, cut me some slack)

I would stick with a "Lee Oscar" or a "special 20". I was never happy with any other harps I bought. Your first harp should be in the key of C. This is the easiest to learn on.

edit....There is a lot of free online help.

All I know about Harmonicas is they're keyed to the guitars 4th. So if you play in G you'll need a C harmonica, E guitar = A harmonica, B = E and so forth.

The thing about Harmonica Players (with the notable exception of my Uncle) is they never seem to know that. It's always,

Harp Player: "What Key are you in?"

Me: "G"

Harp Player: (Takes out harp, blows wrong note into mic. Grabs Three Harps out of pocket, blows note into own ear with cupped hand. Takes out Three more harps, repeats procedure. Three minutes of this goes by, finally finds right key).

Me: (Turns to band members and yells)"One more time through, I think he found one!"

Don't be this guy. My Uncle spoiled me on harp players, he's really good an knows his onions. Just like any other instrument it takes know how and finesse. So give it the time and attention it deserves and it can be quite an asset.

Also, if you're gonna have harmonica amplifed while playing shows, make sure your sound is good.

I don't know any particulars, best mic, which amp, any major mistakes, but I tell you it can be like an ice pick in the ear.

Lotsa blues when I was in Texas, lotsa good bands, and lotsa harmonica.

Now and then I would hear a band that sounded REALLY good anywhere in the club.

Others, harmonica was too low in the mix or shattered glass. No in between.

Gt somebody you trust to give you input on yer sound in the back of the room.

I can count the guys on one hand that I thought were GOOD at it.

All I know about Harmonicas is they're keyed to the guitars 4th. So if you play in G you'll need a C harmonica, E guitar = A harmonica, B = E and so forth.

The thing about Harmonica Players (with the notable exception of my Uncle) is they never seem to know that. It's always,

Harp Player: "What Key are you in?"

Me: "G"

Harp Player: (Takes out harp, blows wrong note into mic. Grabs Three Harps out of pocket, blows note into own ear with cupped hand. Takes out Three more harps, repeats procedure. Three minutes of this goes by, finally finds right key).

Me: (Turns to band members and yells)"One more time through, I think he found one!"

Don't be this guy. My Uncle spoiled me on harp players, he's really good an knows his onions. Just like any other instrument it takes know how and finesse. So give it the time and attention it deserves and it can be quite an asset.

[thumbup]:-k :-k :-k B)

Great posts!

There is a real art to expressive harp playing

My faves are Stevie Wonder, Larry Adler, Toots Thielmans

They play 'chromatic' harmonicas with all sharps and flats available via the 'slide'

Most 'diatonic' harps are used as 'blues harps' to exploit the bends and wailing tone produced when cupped against a mic and going through an overdriven, crude valve amp

The basic idea is to play a harp a 4th up on the home key

ie a blues in E would take a harp in A

This works because the draw/suck notes on an A harp produce an E7 chord...which, with air control and embouchure skill will allow an E Blues scale to be produced

This is Mixolydian mode

It can be fun and creative to explore other modes....

A C harp played with a tune in D would give Dorian mode...a bit jazzy

A G harp played with a tune in C would give Lydian mode...#4th...bright and a bit fusion sounding

etc etc

Amazing how a tiny thing like a harp can produce such a huge emotional effect :-({|=

V

C is probably what your looking for to learn. Good luck harmonica's can be even more addictive than guitars but they can be a lot of fun also, and in the hands of a skilled player they really are amazing. Listen to some of John Poppers music if you need extra inspiration.

As for buying a harmonica I've always thought they were kind of like tattoo's - think long and hard and if you still decide to get one, get a good one. I have several and Hohner are still my favorites especially the 580 Meisterklasse- you can replace the reeds so they never wear out, so even though they cost a a lot more they last forever.

I have a bunch of harps and I suck, but I know two things: 1. Just buy Marine Band Harmonicas to start. Blues harps are for more advanced players and aren't as durable or consistent. 2. Like was said above, use a harp that's in the key that's five half steps above the key of the song you're playing with. If you're playing blues or rock, figure out what songs you want to play with and get harmonicas in the appropriate keys. C harps only work with tunes in the key of G.

[thumbup]

Archived