Gibson Brands Forums

NGB New Guitar Build

damian

I wanted a new project. So I'm going to build a guitar from scratch. Is there any interest in watching the process as I build it ? I've never done one from scratch before, I don't know how to do it, but it's going to work and be unique...No guitar will look like it.

I wanted a new project. So I'm going to build a guitar from scratch.

Well you're already starting off all wrong mang... You gotsda build from de wood not de scratch! [blink]

Just kiddin' bring it on man I'd love to see what you come up with.

Well you're already starting off all wrong mang... You gotsda build from de wood not de scratch! [blink]

Just kiddin' bring it on man I'd love to see what you come up with.

Well, I did start from scratch; scratching my head...[scared] ...I decided to build my own guitar some years back...got sidelined...Last year I settled on what it would be, and showed my design to my gal; through me she understands guitars from asking me all about the guitars in my collection, with is intentionally 'uncountable.' I know what I know, but lets assume I know 'nothing.'...As I said, I will build it, and I want lots of advice, nitpicking, support, and ah, once again, advice....As an artist and such, I already know in general what it will look like......I just gotta get there. ( It ain't gonna be a Gibsom or Gibson ! )...I'm going to take my time, and given the attention span of the threads here, this thread will came and go, and will be brought back to life...

As you guys pitch in, and I incorporate your input, it will end up kinda a "Lounge Signature" electric guitar...Don't ask about the body wood yet, as I ain't teling except that it has never been done before..Solid body though....

Three pickups; a mandatory classic '57; and 2 P-90s...Please offer options opinions on P-90 choices, blank neck choices, ones with carvable headstockblanks..I'm thinking a birdseye maple neck....Tuners are chosen, but not the volume / tone electronics...passive only...

This project is real...so...

Build a V with an SG cutaway on the bass side and an Explorer cutaway on the treble side, made from a plywood frame and a Masonite top and with a green-and-yellow splatter finish and five P-90s wired in series? ...Nah.

But yeah, I think it's a great idea to build a guitar from scratch, and I know I'd love to see the process taking place. Good on ya, damian!

Damian I think it's great and would love to see it as it progresses. Asking the forum for advice is a great way to answer questions -I just finished a Warmoth build. Man I learned a lot and much of it was from forums.

Bon chance Mon Ami!

OK my advice: Zebrawood top laminate! [thumbup]

Double cutaway

2 p90s in front, 57 classic in bridge

bigsby trem

not sure on the body style, but you might have a customer or two [thumbup]

keep everyone posted

Good idea, Nathan, bibsby it is then...Was going to do 57 in the middle, your config. sounds better, thanks.

Damian I think it's great and would love to see it as it progresses. Asking the forum for advice is a great way to answer questions -I just finished a Warmoth build. Man I learned a lot and much of it was from forums.

Bon chance Mon Ami!

OK my advice: Zebrawood top laminate! [thumbup]

Thanks T-Man, it will be a slab guitar, so a Zebrawood top is a good idea, I don't like veeners, so it will have to be of some thickness.

Build a V with an SG cutaway on the bass side and an Explorer cutaway on the treble side, made from a plywood frame and a Masonite top and with a green-and-yellow splatter finish and five P-90s wired in series? ...Nah.

But yeah, I think it's a great idea to build a guitar from scratch, and I know I'd love to see the process taking place. Good on ya, damian!

[scared][unsure]eusa_clap.gif[lol] [lol] [lol]

Great it's a lot of fun and rewarding. I just finished the rough sand and routing on my newest build but it's just another tele copy so nothing fancy. also have the neck built but haven't decided on a headstock shape so it's kind of strange looking right now with a big square headstock.

Thanks for your response, any suggestions on premade necks with headstock blanks ?

Petrified Sequoia? hahaha

Yup, a plus one for you...No, petrified Sequoia is only good for HARD ROCK (haha)...Actually a luthier uses rock veeners on his guitars. The body top is going to be highly figured old growth Red Wood (Sequia) around and 1and1/4 thick with a back of mahogany, swamp ash, or koa...I have found the wood, I haven't chosen which piece to buy...I may attempt a neck through, not sure on the learning curve yet, but I'm joining an exclusive luthier's forum (no shenanigans allowed there, bummer) so I'll have access to input from real builders. Nathan suggested a bibsby, so thats in. This will be a " Lounge " guitar as I want to incorporate as much 'lounge' input as I can....I already have speed knobs that go up to 11, and a custom pickup selector round ring that instead of saying "treble/rhythm' it says "Nasty/Mean".......

You know you want five P-90s.

They wouldn't fit (unless you did something insane, like put them under the fretboard,) but you know you want them.

[rolleyes][unsure][scared][lol] [lol] [lol] ............Overheard at the bingo parlor; " P, 90. " [lol] ...

A guitar with 5 P-90s would be called the " I Gotta Pee 90 " model...

Archived