Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby

fingers galore

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the deal with Bigsby`s? Anyone have one on their Les Paul? Are they mostly cosmetic or are they actually useable? How about tuning issues? I am thinking about putting a bigsby on my LP. I want to try the version that doesn't require drilling. Any suggestions?

I love em. I want to put one on my LP, probably for Christmas. Very much usable, and they just look amazing

They work great - as a tremolo/vibrato arm.

They're not intended for dive bombing like a Floyd style.

No drilling or routing - Vibramate mount - http://www.vibramate.com/ - For a carved top Les Paul - http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-lp-install.php

Use only with an original B7 Bigsby (not a third party licensed Bigsby, the mounting holes won't fit).

You might lose a tad of your bridge break angle, but the impact on sustain is negligible.

[thumbup] I love the way a Bigsby looks. I haven`t had a chance to try one yet. I just ordered a LP Studio 50`s Tribute gold top. Thinking about putting a Bigsby on that. I will go the Vibramate route in case I want to remove it again. I read somewhere that a Bigsby equipped guitar goes out of tune when you use it. Glad to hear that is not the case. Locking tuners or roller bridge maybe if it does mess with the tuning? Thanks for the input.

Call me crazy but you don't need to buy any additional adapter kit to install a Bigsby without drilling additional holes. The strap button fastens it securely and string tension keeps it aligned. I've had zero problems with mine and there was no drilling or expensive adapters involved.

Call me crazy ... The strap button fastens it securely and string tension keeps it aligned. I've had zero problems with mine and there was no drilling or expensive adapters involved.

Crazy.

I would worry about possibly scratching the guitar with an accidental sideways bump to the arm or roller area.

Bigsbys on Gibsons are killer. Put one on my SG two+ years ago and my only regret is that I did not do it sooner. I do the occasional dab of Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut slots, but my ham handed playing does more to rip the guitar out of tune than anything else.

Roller saddles on bridges are not a good design. All it takes are a few drops of sweat or a little grim before they lock up and become useless.

And my advise is to not milquetoast it; go all the way and properly mount that sucker. Vibramate? Might as well put your guitar in a glass case in that lawyer's or dentist's office.

possibly scratching the guitar with an accidental sideways bump to the arm or roller area.

Felt pads on the underside.

Seriously, I have a Goldtop Deluxe that I've considered putting old P-90s in.

Make it a NeoConMan 1956 Les Paul Reissue model - autographed by Ted Nugent.

Adding the Bigsby would multiply the "cool" factor.

Just don't wanna drill holes in the top.

Buddy of mine has a real deal 1955 Goldtop (built with '56-style TOM) that was drilled for a Bigsby long ago.

Also routed for humbuckers.

I know my 2007 GOTW Les Paul will never be worth that kinda money, but I don't want unnecessary holes.

If Brundaddy sez it'll work, I'd like to know more. [thumbup]

Call me crazy but you don't need to buy any additional adapter kit to install a Bigsby without drilling additional holes. The strap button fastens it securely and string tension keeps it aligned. I've had zero problems with mine and there was no drilling or expensive adapters involved.

It was about time someone said that. [thumbup]

This is good to know. Since I can't sell my Lifeson, I am seriously considering dumping the Maestro, which is junk if anyone cares, to a Bigsby just so I can have a tremolo I can use. The guitar will stay in tune "reasonably well" now by adding locking tuners and a roller bridge so long as I use the tremolo very sparingly. You'll notice Alex just turns his around backwards and leaves it there.

And I never dive bomb, just tremolo.

Beyond that, the guitar is the hands down tone monster of my collection but I don't play it enough because I end up getting pi$$ed.

In contrast, my original Floyd equipped Carvin will still be in tune from the last time I played it unless it needs new strings. I have seriously picked up that guitar off the stand after being out of town a couple of weeks and it's still in tune.

It totally works, no problems ever. There's a Bigsby thread somewhere in here where I explained how to do it step-by-step. If the only way you're going to be happy is drilling unnecessary holes or buying unnecessary (and crazy expensive) adapter kits, suit yourself.

Unnecessary holes? Holes are how you mount a Bigsby. Well, at least the B5 model.

Archived