Gibson Brands Forums

Tiny little (meaningless) details.

Thundergod

People used to be so happy about their guitars (and cars and houses and clothes and everything else) and now it seems like everywhere you look there are guys who aren't and are just *****ing about how things used to be and about how Gibson/Fender/anyone else doesn't care about the customer and all of that, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NOW GIVING US OPTIONS. [cursing]

Doesn't make much sense to me. Call me naive, but with today's technological advancements, I think it's safe to say products like guitars, amps, pedals (and everything else that requires technology) are at their historical peak when it comes to features, and production consistency.

In the words of an infamous ex-forum member, discuss. [thumbup]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think this to some degree comes down to availability also. I remember even as a kid, guitars were something people saved up for so there was more perceived value to them. there were less imports and mass production so possibly higher quality even on the less expensive items. Financing has made even some of the very best guitars afordable to those who just want one because of branding etc rather than because its something to aspire to. And because of choice availability etc (for after market parts too) people become fussy and picky about things rather than just grateful that they have a guitar.

Seems to me, the ones who complain the loudest are the ones who want everything handed to them.

Folks like me, who've had to work for everything, may not necessarily like the price of those new gadgets, but I will save so I can acquire them a bit later. The only problem I see with those gadgets is, they are one more thing that COULD go bad, and thus, cost me more to repair later.

Call me naive, but with today's technological advancements, I think it's safe to say products like guitars, amps, pedals (and everything else that requires technology) are at their historical peak when it comes to features, and production consistency.

I agree otton, I think it is almost fashionable to be dismissive of the options we are lucky to be presented with...

In the words of an infamous ex-forum member, discuss. [thumbup]

I like that msp_thumbup.gif He and his wife despite our different outlooks on life (ie them being atheists - and me believing in God) are good friends. Decency and our friendship surpass our respective outlooks...

Matt

I was just discussing this with my wife.

She was saying, "Blah, blah, blah, blah."

I told her, "Uh, yeah." [flapper]

No really I think we're only beginning to see what we can do with the available technology out there.

In the end. Most everything related to playing guitar is ultimately still hand made.

So there is a degree of pride in workmanship that goes into building a guitar, amp, speaker cabinet, or pedal.

Either you're going to do it the right way or you're going to face epic failure.

It needs to be a quality product that people are pleased with. Something they want to tell their friends about.

Hell if I'm up on stage playing and someone thinks, "Wow, that's the type of guitar (rig or pedal) I want," then whichever company's instrument or gear I'm using wins out in the long run.

TG....

Even those of us with the least "wherewithall" on this forum are in ways rather comfortable if one compares us even to the lives of royalty five centuries ago.

And "we" have forgotten whence we came.

One thing I like about rural and even my own "semi" rural life on the Northern Plains is that one has it made obvious that "things" aren't necessarily everything, and that having a few things that one appreciates is far better than having more than a few that are taken for granted.

m

Its sorta like cameras, there was once a time any camrea you bought was good, now its completely different.

Due to mass marketing and stores like Best Buy.

What?? First of all.. When was this time because if you were concious it wasn't that long ago (I know I'm only a couple years older than you).

Digital cameras have gotten way better and more affordable. I can't say I really know much about analog cameras but you don't exactly see them flooding the market at best buy anyways.

What was better about the old ones? Not made in China?

I'm just sayin... Most cameras now are digital and I remember when they totally sucked and now everything is amazing HD and really small and relatively cheap.

What?? First of all.. When was this time because if you were concious it wasn't that long ago (I know I'm only a couple years older than you).

Digital cameras have gotten way better and more affordable. I can't say I really know much about analog cameras but you don't exactly see them flooding the market at best buy anyways.

I'm just sayin... Most cameras now are digital and I remember when they totally sucked and now everything is amazing HD and really small and relatively cheap.

regarding old cameras, box brownies were awesome. Older film Cameras were fairly simple and straight forward point and shoot until you entered the world of slr, medium format etc. And until recently there was no comparison with picture quality between film and digital, film won. in the early days of digital the biggest drawback was reproduction of prints and enlarging because they became pixelated. Nowadays digital is pretty darn good, to the point that kodak are struggling.

You could say they got better, HD camrea is sorta BS (Well everything HD is sorta BS! [lol])

Cheaper? Its not the camrea thats make the good shot but the person, but also it depends on the camrea on the quality of the shot. You can take wonderful shots with a cheap one you buy at CVS at the register and take nice shots. Ive used Analog cameras that have great shots come out and were ALOT more cheaper when they were sold and the only thing that could match out was a my friends Sony $1,000+ digital. .

But im just some dude on the Internet.

Thanks for the insult btw, shows how civil you are at posting on forums.

On the tangent camera subject:

I have an original Asahi Pentax K1000 from some time in the late 1970s. It's almost entirely metal and has a reputation for being a tank. It has a good battery life and a reliable meter. By the time it was discontinued in 1997 it had be shipped to China for manufacturing, most of the metal was replaced with plastic, it was fragile and the meter drained the battery and was unreliable, so yeah things can get worse over time.

We have a cheap TV upstairs from the 1970s as well. It still works perfectly. My partner's grandparent's TV was very expensive, is three years old and is starting to fail. All three digital cameras we own are on their way out. My first Motorola brick phone has been the longest lasting one I've owned and it was already second hand when I got it.

So yes, some things do get worse.

Not everything by any means, but sometimes when people complain that things seem to be going downhill they are.

Competitive pricing is great on the one hand, because it gives us things for less.

On the other hand if you're going to drop your price in order to compete then you're going to have to drop your cost and that often means dropping your quality too.

Unfortunately, it's how markets work these days. : /

Wendy et al...

The camera thing is kinda funny because a good 2.1 pixel camera with a quality lens properly framed can make a much better 5 x 7 or even 8 x 10 if properly handled in a digital darkroom than a "point and shoot" 10 megapixel camera with a lower quality lens.

But that's about the same thing as in the film days: There's no need to have a lens that is far, far better in terms of resolution than the film or film that's far, far better than the lens. That was always something being discussed in the photo magazines.

Frankly most of the time I think the pro/am Nikons and Canons are far, far "better" than their 35 mm film counterparts because they can get a printable image up to full newspaper page/poster size with little or no pixelation or "grain" with a well-handled shot. To do that on film required a bigger camera/film. In fact, my first published color photo was shot medium format on a press graphic with the swings and tilts.

So... as with tube vs solid state guitar amps.... I'm not so sure that as tech changes one can say certain products are that much better or worse. I'd often put it that at a given price point there are advantages and disadvantages. <grin>

BTW, people are funny too. I'll wager almost anyone has more "personal" photos than I do over the same number of years. When a camera is almost part of your body for most of your waking hours, when you don't have to have it, you probably don't.

m

I have an old metal Pentax too and it works perfectly (it's from the 70s or 80s).

I was really just talking about digital cameras because that's all you see at best buy anyways.

Dem00n I wasn't trying to insult you. I'm only 18 it's not like I'm saying I've been around the block a few times. I just thought your statement was... debatable.

People used to be so happy about their guitars (and cars and houses and clothes and everything else) and now it seems like everywhere you look there are guys who aren't and are just *****ing about how things used to be and about how Gibson/Fender/anyone else doesn't care about the customer and all of that, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NOW GIVING US OPTIONS. [cursing] ...

Actually, a lot of these guys aren't happy with just b!tching about options, they're also compelled to trash talk the options and slam anyone who appreciates the options.

Let me paraphrase: "Just give me a piece of wood with a string on it and I'm happy. Everything else is crap." [rolleyes]

Or: "This is outrageous - I just bought a new guitar and noticed <insert any insignificant defect>. It's horrible QC." <_<

Archived