Gibson Brands Forums

The appeal of getting a "birthday year" guitar......

onewilyfool

I must admit that there is something interesting in buying a guitar built in the year of one's birth...........for some of us, that is REALLY a vintage guitar....lol......Any of you out there have one? Is it nostalgic???? Did it just happen.....OR.....did you go out and buy one on purpose???? Interested in your comments....

I don't have a guitar built the year I was born. But my car was (1960). Strictly an accident. You wouldn't believe how may people ask me if I bought it new. Damn, I must look old.

GB, what kind of car do you have? I have a couple of old cars but not that old. (1983 and 1984 Mazda RX7)

If anyone wants to give me their 1958 guitar, I can offer it an excellent home \:D/

Yes, I have a birth year guitar, totally by accident. I was just buying a USED guitar (because that's all I could afford) before the "vintage" craze hit, and no one knew, or cared, what year it was made. A few years later it was brought to my attention that I might have something "collectible".

Paid $195.00 and had to borrow some of it from my sister AND a friend.

5172784228_0739816235.jpg

You might say I started playing vintage and collectible guitars by accident.

I've been thinking about getting one recently, it depends on if once I get my fund good to go for the guitar I want I am willing to wait for one from 92 to come up. Not exactly vintage but I think it would add to the magic of the guitar some.

Any of you out there have one?

I guess I have four -- a 00-17, two J-45s and an SJ (1943). My wife has only one (1944), but she wins -- a D-28.

Is it nostalgic????

At my age, nostalgic is all there is.

Did it just happen.....OR.....did you go out and buy one on purpose????

I had to check to see what we had, so until this question, I had never even considered it. Seems kind of silly.

Let's pick.

-Tom

Yes, I have a birth year guitar, totally by accident. I was just buying a USED guitar (because that's all I could afford) before the "vintage" craze hit, and no one knew, or cared, what year it was made. A few years later it was brought to my attention that I might have something "collectible".

Paid $195.00 and had to borrow some of it from my sister AND a friend.

5172784228_0739816235.jpg

You might say I started playing vintage and collectible guitars by accident.

Well L5Larry.....what year is it? Looks pretty clean.

Rod

I've been thinking about getting one recently, it depends on if once I get my fund good to go for the guitar I want I am willing to wait for one from 92 to come up. Not exactly vintage but I think it would add to the magic of the guitar some.

Doggone Bluesbreather! Just like your avatar.....You ARE a pup [smile]

GB, what kind of car do you have? I have a couple of old cars but not that old. (1983 and 1984 Mazda RX7)

If anyone wants to give me their 1958 guitar, I can offer it an excellent home \:D/

It's a Volvo PV544. It turns heads. And the way I drive, it's turned a few stomachs also.

Doggone Bluesbreather! Just like your avatar.....You ARE a pup [smile]

yea most people on these forums have been playing the guitar longer than I have been walking. But what can I say? I am older now than I have ever been before, I suppose. Still though youth severely cuts into my experience it lets me keep the secret dream of becoming Bob Dylan alive for a little bit ;}.

yea most people on these forums have been playing the guitar longer than I have been walking. But what can I say? I am older now than I have ever been before, I suppose. Still though youth severely cuts into my experience it lets me keep the secret dream of becoming Bob Dylan alive for a little bit ;}.

Age ain,t nothing but a number! Life experience DOES count for a lot. I also realize that there are many young people that can play rings around me, in spite of my 40+ years of playing guitar. If anything,age has allowed me to listen to and experience a lot of great music as it was being released 'new and fresh' into the world.

As far as 'secret dreams'.....ahhhh....Hold on the them, but keep your feet firmly planted in reality and you'll be alright ;)

You could potentially make BLUESBREATHER the next name as popular and synonomous to BOB DYLAN [thumbup]

To the point of the post. I think '53 was a great year for Gibson and wished I had a wall-full of every model. (Damn! My secret dream is out of the bag) [laugh] I do have a '53 ES-125 that holds some meaning to me....mostly because its such an awesome playing and sounding instrument!

I recently owned what I thought was a birth year guitar (1963 LM-26 Levin Goliath), only to find out later that it was actually a 62! It was a nice guitar though.

If someone would like to send a 63 Epiphone Texan my way, I would very graciously accept!

P.S. Or a 63 J-45/50 might fit the bill too. [biggrin]

Archived