Gibson Brands Forums

Best blues amp for Epiphone Les Paul

240SX

I'm looking for a new amp to replace my peavey transtube bandit that i've had for years. I'm currently playing a '94 epiphone les paul. If everyone could offer their opinion on what is the best sounding blues amp for home usage (not a huge amp) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Wow. You're going to get replies that are all over the board on this one.

There are some good new, small amps, out from a variety of manufacturers.

Go to Youtube and search small amps. You might get a better idea from that.

The guys here will certainly get you going in the right direction though.

I vote for Vox.

When I tried out my Epi Les Paul Trad. Pro in the store I tried it out through a Fender Blues Jr. andd from the first chord I was hooked.The Blues Jr. is the perfect amp for the Epi Les Paul.If you can find a used Vox Valvetronix amp such as The AD10VTX or VTH you'd being doing good for yourself(the older blue grille ones are the best)as they have 16 models of the world's best amps and over 16 great effects.They even have models of the old Marshall JTM 45 and of old Fender and even Dumble amps.You can pick them up pretty cheap and they are just about bullet-proof.

When I tried out my Epi Les Paul Trad. Pro in the store I tried it out through a Fender Blues Jr. andd from the first chord I was hooked.The Blues Jr. is the perfect amp for the Epi Les Paul.If you can find a used Vox Valvetronix amp such as The AD120VTX or VTH or any of that family you'd being doing good for yourself(the older blue grille ones are the best)as they have 16 models of the world's best amps and over 16 great effects.They even have models of the old Marshall JTM 45 and of old Fender and even Dumble amps.You can pick them up pretty cheap and they are just about bullet-proof.

What do you guys think of the Line 6 spider IV amp?

I tried one out at the store and left with a Peavey Vypyr 30 instead. I recently got the Sanpera II pedal to go along with it and for a home amp, I live in a small apartment with neighbors, the thing rocks. I can get just about any sound I could imagine out of it and couldn't ask for more.

A buddy of mine has a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue and it sounds incredible. But the price is out of my range for just a hobby player and I would never be able to do it justice. I would give it a high recommendation though!

Guest CheapShoes

240: What sound are you after, what volume are you after? Are you playing in the beadroom or outdoor stadium?

Yep, I second the Blues Jr - particularly after some simple mods, but that's what I like for grab n'go for versatility, over-the-counter-amp, for small venues for New Country to Blues, to Rock. OTOH, it would not be suitable for metal, isn't going to sound exactly like an EL34 or 6L6 amp., or have the volume for Decibel wars. Depends on what you are after. Personally I am all for 10-20W tube amps. Any more than 20W and you are better off just mic'ing it.

I gave my wise-*** response because you failed to provide any details whatsoever. At the very least it would strongly behoove you to mention a price point. How loud do you play, dirty or clean etc. etc... Without that information we can give you ideas for $200 amps or like the aforementioned Trainwreck, 35k.

About the only time I use an amp any more is around the house and get togethers with acoustic players. I ended up with a Li'l Dawg Mutt (Champ power section, with a DeLuxe pre-amp) for my 6V6 sounds and when I rarely get together with other electric players and need the volume. Jim makes the the best amps for the money if you want a tweed clone. Since I really prefer the EL84 sound, I recently got an AC4 clone from a guy on eBay. The difference between his AC4 and the newer Vox AC4 (both can be had for around $200, the clone needed a cabinet, though) is his uses the exact same circuitry as the original, including the EF86 preamp tube, instead of a 12AX7. Only 4 watts, but beautiful cleans and creamier breakup at higher volumes, which at 4 watts, isn't too loud. And that's my point. Both of the amps I use now get to that sweet spot in tone at endurable levels. Both required me to build the cabinets myself to save money, which worked out fine "cause that's what I do for fun anyway.

If you're not handy with wood and tolex, my suggestion would be...... The stock AC4, EL84 based, has a line out and a step down switch to 2 watts. Combos are around $250, head/speaker packages, around $300. Take $75 and retube with good tubes and keep the stock ones as back ups (for whichever amp you get, stock tubes are almost always cr*p). Or try any other single EL84 type amp with a 12" speaker. If you're just playing around the house, you'll never need more than that.

You haven't given us a lot to go on. "Blues" can mean anything from Robert Cray's clean-strat tone to SRV's crunchy strat to Albert Collins' "Icepick Telecaster" to Otis Rush's warm overdrive to Peter Green's signature tone, and everything in between. Knowing more of the specific tones you're after would help us give you more meaningful suggestions. And a budget range would help too, plus whether you use lots of effects. If you rely on stompboxes for your distortion and overdrive, an amp with a good clean tone would be adequate, otherwise you'd need an amp that had the kind of drive tones you're looking for.

I bought a used Line 6 Spider III (the one with 75 watts and a 12" speaker) to use as a versatile practice amp, but was able to get enough good sounds out of it that I've used it on many gigs.

i think your looking for a fender twin reverb for that sound then. i see ones like mine on ebay not cheap. check the used section at guitar center or daddys junky music. they have those ocasionally. thats my goto amp. defenitly want an older all tube amp for sure.

Archived