Gibson Brands Forums

Best Amp for an SG???

Bldsnn

Hi there! I bought a SG 61 reissue about 1 year ago now, and after trying dozens of amps in all kinds of music stores from Las Vegas to San Francisco I learned a valueable lesson: don't let a brand name fool you! There are so many good amps out there which will give you loads more power and tweaks for less money than say Marshall, Mesa, Vox etc etc. Don't get me wrong, these are brilliant amps but they are expensive. If you have a limited budget do some research. I ended up with the Egnater Renegade 112 Combo 65w and It's awesome!

Compare the specs vs price for these two for instance:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Renegade-112-65W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105469019-i1447428.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mesa-Boogie-Express-5-50-5-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104298005-i1453116.gc

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried an SG Special Faded in brown through a Randall RH-50 tube amp head and it sounded hot. At another guitar store in town (the other one was in Raleigh which is 30 minutes away) I tried another SG Special in red through a Peavey Classic 20 and it also sounded hot and also through some vintage tube amps like Supro 6" tube amp and an Airline 6" tube amp as well and they both sounded good but not as hot though. My opinion is any Gibson SG through a tube amp will sound good but be wary of the Bugera v5. I played a worn brown SG Special Faded through one and it sounded like pure crap, very muddy with no good highs like an SG is suppose to have when you play one on a tube amp. Crate V5's sound good but are hard to maintain (the tubes are hard to change on them). I had one and it sounded pretty good. When I get my SG Special Faded in red paid off I will probably get either a Vox AC4tv mini, a Marshall Class 5, an Orange AD-5 or for an off brand maybe a VHT Classic 6. It just depends on my finances and my mood on which amp I want to get. Since you all mentioned Laney they make a 5watt combo with an 8" speaker called the Cub 8 and 10watt with a 10" speaker called the Cub 10. From what I've heard they sound like an hotter Fender Champ 600

I've got a SG 3 with three PAF 57's and in Ebony and have had four Marshalls(8080 Valvtronics,JCM DSL401,JCM 900,JCM 800) and they all rocked the SG but I found they were very limited so after lots of reseach I bought a Fender HOTROD DEVILLE 4x10 combo which is 60 tube watts and this thing is amazing for blues, jazz and I bought a Vox Big Ben Overdrive pedal which run a tube inside and you get a great British Marshall/Vox overdrive.

• 10 years later...
On 1/3/2011 at 5:24 PM, deelaz said:

I have this one and it works like a charm. I second this.

There's no shortage of great amps out there, but I think Orange really nails it with their simplicity while still sounding amazing. That's really what it comes down to for me. For more details, you can check some amplifiers here to see which one works for you.

Edited by Andrew Jones

On 4/19/2021 at 12:12 PM, kidblast said:

hey  he could still be weighing options,, one never knows!   :-k

His last post was in 2014. So seven years. 

He could've sold his gear and got into model air planes. If we find out he just put out a book called "My first seven years of airplane modelling", chances are good that is exactly what happened. 

I have a vivid imagination. And not a lot to do in my spare time lately. It possibly shows. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

His last post was in 2014. So seven years. 

He could've sold his gear and got into model air planes. If we find out he just put out a book called "My first seven years of airplane modelling", chances are good that is exactly what happened. 

I have a vivid imagination. And not a lot to do in my spare time lately. It possibly shows. 

!! LOL !!

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Why don’t they move the old Threads to the Archives? Is it like a joke?

Because one day (maybe in 10 years time) a new guy will want to post on it. And then we get to relive the old days. Is there an Archive Section? Can the mods even do a search on threads that have not been posted on in 10 years and put them in the time out chair?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Because one day (maybe in 10 years time) a new guy will want to post on it. And then we get to relive the old days. Is there an Archive Section? Can the mods even do a search on threads that have not been posted on in 10 years and put them in the time out chair?

How many of these Threads that ask, what kind of Amp?  or  what kind of Guitar?, actually follow up & say what they got? 

18 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

How many of these Threads that ask, what kind of Amp?  or  what kind of Guitar?, actually follow up & say what they got? 

A few will of course, but others will just grab the info they came for and not bother returning. 

This example (when someone is weighing up what to buy) is usually better. The OP will likely return and report what they bought/or decided.

The "I just got a Gibson; What's it worth?" ones are less likely to hang around I think. Often just making one post.

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

At the very least he could post a couple pics of his model airplanes. 

Or at least on of those fancy French wooden trays of cheese, nuts, fruit, meat, and crackers. I forget what they are called.