Gibson Brands Forums

HAPPY NEW YEAR, What do you do for a Living?

Steven Tari

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that don't think they would like retirement or that it would be boring to not work I have not found that to be a problem - I'm busier than ever and I typically worked 12+ our days. If I slept I'd be in trouble because there's just not enough hours in the day.

I can't wait for retirement and I'm only 17!

I can't wait for retirement and I'm only 17!

retrosurfer1959, Tell him like it is. I'm looken at my last 10 years before I retire and their ain't to many on the water front that make it. Most are being put away early because of some kind of Cancer we got in the early years when we were working around asbestes or something else we were into on the job.[thumbdn]

WOW! What a wide variety of job holders, I'm going to have to hold on to this post. Now I have some new people to talk to when it comes to getting into new projects. Anyone else? [biggrin][thumbup]

I omitted this at 1st due to the ongoimg political debate on the subjet, which I DO NOT wish to incite here.

For several years along with my "day job" I also had my own shop as a Certified Gunsmith, that catered mostly to owners of Antique, Classic, Obsolete, and Unique Firearms.

I had parts contacts that could get me what I needed for almost anything, no matter how old or odd. And had learned from a very old book (found in a used bookstore) various methods to "artificially age" newer parts to exactly match the gun they were going on. (Nope, Fender did NOT start this "relicing" craze)

Examples of my restorations are glass cased in museums, homes, and offices throughout the South, and i'm in the Millenium Edition of The National Registry of "Who's Who in American Business".

The stress level of this type work WITH my "day job" as well was unbelieveable, so i've stored my books,tools and parts in my attic until I can no longer do the day job....then i'll go back to the antique firearm restoration business.

I'm glad you told me about your working with muskets. I'm trying to find some kind of contacts to help replace some Flintlock parts for a Kentucky long Rifle. 45 cal.If you have the time to maybe pass on some people to talk to I sure would apreseate it. Thank You // Steven, I tried to send it personal message but it said you have to much ,So I sent it this way hoping you'ld read it

Happy new year, guys!

Right now I'm in my last year of high school (I'm 18, although here in Sweden we actually start school at 7 rather than 6, so by American means I ought to be in my first year of college now. I digress, sorry), but come next summer I'm probably going to study cognitive psychology at a university not far from here. If that doesn't work out for some reason, ie. if there aren't too many jobs around (partially because few actually know what cognitive psychology really is even if it's useful in most lines of work), I'm thinking about teaching the subject at a university.

Electrical/electronic engineer, then management. Retired at 50. Now 58. Planting olives yesterday and playing guitar today..... Heaven !!!

Stick... what are you going to do with your olives?

I have 20 trees.... picked 400 lbs this year, but left @ 150 lbs on the trees....(I just got too many to deal with).

Here what I did with them:

163950_1518626132262_1432777962_2993228_5085625_n.jpg164011_1518613531947_1432777962_2993191_8093025_n.jpg

I'll be 50 this year.

I own a small AV Integration company for commercial and residential. Incorporated in 1987 and a

few more years hopefully sell the business and move somewhere warm,

and figure out what amp to buy!!

Great Thread! Love seeing who's who and what's what here on the boards....

I am 52 and I am an Architect. I have had my own practice since '88. I do commercial work and have started to do some limited teaching at the colleges here lately.

Also, I have played professionally in cover/bar bands since '80 and have had the chance to play with some really cool folks over the past 30 some years. And, I still play out now.

Architecture is the passion, music is the social life!

Steven

I do. They are rare, but it happens. I teach gifted and talented children, so they possess better than average language

skills anyway. Sometimes it can be a challenge to offer the brilliant ones constructive criticism.

I know what you mean. I spend so much time writing at work that I rarely feel like writing at home. I keep thinking... "one day".

It's never too late. ChanMan might chime in here too. He writes some great horror/suspense stuff himself. Maybe we can start like

an old guy wanna be writers club! [biggrin]

Sign me up!

I've been working for Snap-on Incorporated for twenty years. I'm on the Education, Engineering and physical mass / metrology side of the business..... Great company to work for. [thumbup]

Great tools, too, or so says everyone I've known who own them.

[thumbup]

I've been working for Snap-on Incorporated for twenty years. I'm on the Education, Engineering and physical mass / metrology side of the business..... Great company to work for. [thumbup]

oh SNAP-on? thought i read something else for a minute [blush]

the problem with writing for a living today compared even to 30 years ago is one of market. It's changed so much... just as have venues/media for music. Plenty of folks happily will accept work for free.

m

I am 41 and have worked for Roche/Genentech Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics for 11 years this year. I engineered and run the live and Video on Demand video webcast service for our company globally out of Indianapolis, Indiana in conjunction with teams in Basel, Switzerland, and San Francisco California.

Greetings Everyone,

Andy

What do I do for a living?

1) Main source of income: Pro musician - sax, guitar, vocals, flute, wind synth, keyboard synth, bass, and drums

2) "Moonlighting": Aftermarket style disks for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith plus Songbook (Fake) disks for Band-in-a-Box.

Notes

Stick... what are you going to do with your olives?

I have 20 trees.... picked 400 lbs this year, but left @ 150 lbs on the trees....(I just got too many to deal with).

Here what I did with them:

163950_1518626132262_1432777962_2993228_5085625_n.jpg164011_1518613531947_1432777962_2993191_8093025_n.jpg

Olives are just a hobby for us. We picked around 300 kilos this year and they all go to the factory for oil. We don't use chemicals so there's a bit of dakos fly and they're a bit small for the table. The oil's good though, around 0.3 percent acid and we share it with family and friends. [thumbup]

I am a 45 year old civil engineer and land surveyor. My workload is mostly boundary surveying, but I also do land development and dam design and rehab work across the southeast US. I also do leatherwork and some of the instrument straps I've made have been on tour through Ireland and the states. Once upon a time, I worked for a production company and was on the staff for Farm Aid II.

Archived