Gibson Brands Forums

what was the FIRST ever guitar pedal you bought?

S t e v e

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was about 12 (Circa 1982) and had been playing a year I saw a guy playing Aint Talking Bout Love by Van Halen and he was using an original Purple Boss Flanger. I was a Van Halen freak and thought WOW! That is the Sh*t! I didn't know there were different brands of flangers at the time. So I saved up about $50.00 and started calling around asking for a Flanger and everywhere I called ll wanted about $120.00 or so for them. I was bummed but kept calling around. Then one store said they had a used one for about $50.00 so I begged my mom to drive me to the store so I could buy it. When I got there I said I wanted the Flanger and the guy get's out this ancient looking thing with a big power cable attached and my hear sank. I said where is the little purple box Flanger and he was like "Oh that's a Boss pedal....They're about $125.00) I was so bummed and mom was not going to come off the difference so I went ahead and bought the used Flanger. It was an Electro Harmonix - Electric Mistress.

It looked exactly like this but I don't remember it being a "deluxe" but it may have been. Way too long ago to remember.

60c68e32.jpg

I took it home and much to my surprise it sounded cool. I eventually traded it for something that I don't recall but the funny thing is that through the years I have never ended up buying an original purple Flanger and I would bet that the Flanger I had probably sounded better. Now I have an original MXR Flanger Identical to what Eddie used.

Floor Effects:

cbe05307.jpg

Rack Effects: That's an original Chandler delay on the bottom. One of the best sounding delays that I have heard.

1ccf1ea4.jpg

Andy

Is that an Echoplex I see before me?

When I was about 12 (Circa 1982) and had been playing a year I saw a guy playing Aint Talking Bout Love by Van Halen and he was using an original Purple Boss Flanger. I was a Van Halen freak and thought WOW! That is the Sh*t! I didn't know there were different brands of flangers at the time. So I saved up about $50.00 and started calling around asking for a Flanger and everywhere I called ll wanted about $120.00 or so for them. I was bummed but kept calling around. Then one store said they had a used one for about $50.00 so I begged my mom to drive me to the store so I could buy it. When I got there I said I wanted the Flanger and the guy get's out this ancient looking thing with a big power cable attached and my hear sank. I said where is the little purple box Flanger and he was like "Oh that's a Boss pedal....They're about $125.00) I was so bummed and mom was not going to come off the difference so I went ahead and bought the used Flanger. It was an Electro Harmonix - Electric Mistress.

It looked exactly like this but I don't remember it being a "deluxe" but it may have been. Way too long ago to remember.

60c68e32.jpg

I took it home and much to my surprise it sounded cool. I eventually traded it for something that I don't recall but the funny thing is that through the years I have never ended up buying an original purple Flanger and I would bet that the Flanger I had probably sounded better. Now I have an original MXR Flanger Identical to what Eddie used.

Floor Effects:

cbe05307.jpg

Rack Effects: That's an original Chandler delay on the bottom. One of the best sounding delays that I have heard.

1ccf1ea4.jpg

Andy

60c68e32.jpg

I was sort of in possession of that exact effects pedal. When I was 13 or 14, we had a neighbor who played and was clearly a huge Van Halen fan, because I could hear him jamming it constantly. Guy was pretty good too. Anyway, he heard me playing one day and, I guess, trying to be friendly, let me "have it". Figured he'd given up on playing or something.

I'd say a few years went buy, and one day he came over and wanted it back. We suspected he was involved with drugs and what not. Heard some shifty things going on over there late some nights. Anyway, I gave it back and it was gone.

I've never really been an effects guy. I suppose that could change one day, but in the 16 or so years I've been playing, I've only owned three pedals, counting the Cry Baby, which never gets used. The other is a Marshall Jackhammer JH-1, which gets occasional use.

Maybe I'm just lazy, or maybe part of me feels like I'm taking the easy route to get "good tone", but nonetheless, I don't really use them. I suppose the genre/s of music I play have a lot to do with that. If I were playing a lot of hard rock or metal, I'm sure I'd have a pile.

My first pedal (Two, actually, as I bought them the same day), was

a Vox Tone Bender, and Vox Wah-Wah. Later added a Big Muff. Had

a Little Muff, too...that plugged, directly, into the guitar, and

your guitar cord, plugged into it. It was kinda cool, as you just

had to move the slider switch, and there's the Fuzz! ;>) A friend

of mine, had one of those, built into his guitar (Danelectro Guitarolin),

with a little toggle switch, to activate it. More common, now, to do

that...but, in the mid-60's, it was a lot more unique.

CB

Way, way back in the olden days, early 70s but don't ask when, I got a flanger that had a cupla sliders on it, but it hooked onto one's guitar strap rather than on the floor. Told you it was way back when... I still have it with some other old, old junque.

Anyway, I tried it, decided it was a waste, never bought another one until I started messing a bit with stuff around 2004 and got a Zoom 707II multi-effect that adds some thickness to my light string habit.

Later I got a Boss Leslie emulator I've used for a cupla gigs with other people doing blues so I could be the B3 - sorta. It works pretty well.

m

I bought a Pro Co Rat in the late '80s. I was trying to bang out a lot of Neil Young/Crazy Horse kind of stuff, and looking for a way to get a decent overdriven sound out of the crummy amp I had at the time. It did a pretty good job of that, though I'm not sure the neighbors and landlord always agreed.

I had some sort of cheap fuzz box before that that used to go through 9-volts like M&Ms, but that was given to me.

Archived