Gibson Brands Forums

what was the FIRST ever guitar pedal you bought?

S t e v e

dod death metal, when it first came out, for a gorilla practice amp and squier strat. it was pretty cool until i got a real amp and guitar. i also started to care more about tone and articulation as years passed, as opposed to just creating a noisy racket which this pedal is known for....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the early 70's a buddy of mine picked up a box full of used pedals. It contained some MXR stuff, some EH's, a Mutron Phasor, and two Cry Baby's (among others probably). He kept the MXR's , the Mutron, and the newer Cry Baby.

I ended up with the older Thomas Organ Company Cry Baby, an EH Big Muff Pi, a EH Small Stone Phasor, and an EH Memory Man Analog Delay for a whopping total of $15 (still a lot of money for a teenager at the time).

The Memory Man shot craps shortly afterward, and was unrepairable. The Small Stone Phasor sounded fantastic and I used it on many recordings through the 70's until it gave up the ghost late in the decade (I would REALLY like to have another original issue version). The original Big Muff Pi I sold last year for $250.

The old Thomas Organ Company Cry Baby is still in perfect working order and is the first and last Wah I'll ever need or own. In fact the guy I got it from has been trying to get it back from me for like 35 years.

The first one I bought was some kind of envelope filter for bass - Dr Q or some such. Playing an EB-3 through a Silver face Bassman (dimed) resulting in such crappy mud as not to be believed.

Since then, pedals make me queasy. Playing guitar, I much prefer nothing.

Playing bass, I kinda like a little chorus a la Jaco, but even that is a stretch for me.

I suppose I'll never achieve Slashtone.

Black Russian Muff

And again (unless we count the JHS A-B box that I occasionally use for switching channels on my Fender Pro, or the on-off pedal that I bought for remote switching the 'tube blaster' on my Ross practice amp...).

Damn man, I could almost remake my whole board with that collection. I love effects. What pedals do you use on your board.

My go to pedals for guitar these days are simple the TC Electronics Chorus, Jimi CryBaby, Line6 Echo Park and the Tube Screamer or Big Muff. Mostly I'm a bass player though and I'm big time into Boosy so... anything goes.

...I suppose I'll never achieve Slashtone.

Don't get discouraged, man.

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.

You do realize, don't you, that you need the hat, the shades, and the smokes to REALLY achieve Slashtone.

My first pedal was a Guyatone OD2.

My go to pedals for guitar these days are simple the TC Electronics Chorus, Jimi CryBaby, Line6 Echo Park and the Tube Screamer or Big Muff. Mostly I'm a bass player though and I'm big time into Boosy so... anything goes.

Ah, but what shade of Muff do you go for?

Archived