Gibson Brands Forums

Strings, Strings, and Things...

mydeadblues

I'm stuck on elixir nanoweb lights (10s). I use to play with ernie balls but they just don't feel or sound as good as elixirs IMO. D'Addarios felt okay, I've used them a couple of times but I feel like I've never really given them a chance.

I really want to try Gibson vintage reissues strings. They have pretty good reviews on Musicians Friend. Anyone here ever try them? Also, what are you guys currently playing? Both brand and gauge.

Thanks!

D'Addario 10's on the electrics and D'Addario coated 12's on the acoustics.

I like the coated strings on acoustics because I don't like the copper smell I get on my hands from the bronze strings after playing, and they seem to last a lot longer.

Also have used Ernie Ball 10's and they seem about the same as D'Addario to me.

they are available with "nano web" coating or "poly web" coating. wonder what the difference is?

As far as I know the nano web coating is thinner. I use Elixier nano web on all my guitars, 0.10 gauge on the Les Pauls, 0.11 gauge on the semi hollow bodies and 0.12 gauge on the jazz guitars, 0.11 gauge phosphor bronze on the acoustics. Tried a couple of other strings, but they did not last very long, plus I'm allergic to nickel. So I'm fine with the Elixiers, good tone and cause no problems with my skin.

DR Pure Blues 010s (cut correctly), Ernie Nickel 010s, and just tried first set of Rotosound Yellow (which suprisingly enough are nickel 010s).

I used to play D'Addario chrome flats exclusively, but have done a 180 on that.

I used Elixirs for quite a few years. Although they're more expensive than most string sets they last a long time. I switched last year to some Dean Markley strings (10-46). The ones in the yellow package,vintage or classic whatevers. I just wanted to try something else for a change. I'm not disappointed.

I used Elixirs for quite a few years. Although they're more expensive than most string sets they last a long time. I switched last year to some Dean Markley strings (10-46). The ones in the yellow package,vintage or classic whatevers. I just wanted to try something else for a change. I'm not disappointed.

I typically use D'Addario because they are cheap and get the job done, but I picked up a few packs of those Dean Markley Vintage Classics super cheap (like $.99 a pack) awhile back, and they are terrific strings. I think they were custom guage extra-lights, but I play with 9's anyway. I really dug them.

I like the Elixer coated strings as well.They certainly last a long time...and feel good too.

we have 5 accoustics ranging from yamaha to washburn and they all have Martin strings (acoustic sp) either 10's or 11's depending on the guitar. http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/choosing.html

on the Gibson sg i prefer d'addario EXL 115 blues/jazz/rock 11's http://store.daddario.com/category/145800/EXL115_BluesJazz_Rock_11-49

i just bought a set of d'addario xl chrome flat wounds 10's to put on my telecaster I'll let you know how that goes..

http://store.daddario.com/category/145778/ECG23_Chromes_Extra_Light_10-48

I use D'addario EXL110's on the Les Paul, the Dot, the Schecter, and the SG Express. Ernie Ball Slinky Pinky on the G-400 and the Traveler Speedster, and Elixir Nano on my acoustic.

I think the D'Addario's sound better on those guitars which I play "pretty". Brighter than the Slinkies. I have the Slinkies on my mainly "dirty" guitars. The SG Express is a dirty guitar, but the short scale seems to call for slightly heavier strings than the Pinkies.

I like the Nanowebs on my acoustic because they sound pretty and they last a long time.

I've now got the flat wounds on the tele.. first impessions, feels very different. Not in a bad way though!! sound, warm rich and mellow.. I'm liking these. Something a bit different and i would buy them again, not sure if I'd put them on the SG. I'll get a few hours playing on them and see how my opinion fairs then.B)

we have 5 accoustics ranging from yamaha to washburn and they all have Martin strings (acoustic sp) either 10's or 11's depending on the guitar. http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/choosing.html

on the Gibson sg i prefer d'addario EXL 115 blues/jazz/rock 11's http://store.daddario.com/category/145800/EXL115_BluesJazz_Rock_11-49

i just bought a set of d'addario xl chrome flat wounds 10's to put on my telecaster I'll let you know how that goes..

http://store.daddario.com/category/145778/ECG23_Chromes_Extra_Light_10-48

I followed your link, and noticed that they are selling half gauges. I have never seen these before! I'm quite intrigued and aim to try a set of 9.5s

I like to try different brands and sometimes different gauges.

Recently, I've been a little unhappy with some Ernie Ball 11-48 electric strings. I usually used 10-46's up until then. The heavier gauge seemed to be just enough to lose treble balance. I have two sets to get rid of and I'll go back to the 10-46's. Much as I like to play my Strats and Teles, I can't deal with the 09-42's they come with. I feel too sloppy with them on my guitars.

On my acoustics, I like the Elixir or Ernie Ball 12-53's. Mostly, they seem real consistent from one set to another.

Ernie Balls on my electrics for over 30 years.....various on acoustics and basses.......

Please tell me, are coated strings worth the price ? If so, what brands are 'the best' ??

And on electrics, it varies between 8s, 9s, and 10s..............

Hi Damian - As far as your question about coated strings, I have to answer you two ways. First, they last me a LOT longer, 4-5 times as long, specially the bronze acoustic strings. I had a set on my Taylor jumbo that were a year old and I only changed them because I was getting ready for an Acoustic Guitar Forum jam and felt I should go with new strings. So, yes, they last longer.

Answer two is this... You have to try them to see if you like the tone they provide. I don't hear much difference between coated and non-coated strings, but a lot of people say they do, so if you do, it comes down to whether you like the strings in the first place. If you do, the double price of regular strings is worth it for the extra time they can stay on a guitar. If you don't like the tone in the first place, it's moot.

I'm stuck on elixir nanoweb lights (10s). I use to play with ernie balls but they just don't feel or sound as good as elixirs IMO. D'Addarios felt okay, I've used them a couple of times but I feel like I've never really given them a chance.

I really want to try Gibson vintage reissues strings. They have pretty good reviews on Musicians Friend. Anyone here ever try them? Also, what are you guys currently playing? Both brand and gauge.

Thanks!

Yes, they are that good. I can't get enough of them for the 7 guitars that I own, but stepping down to D'Addario Chrome Flats gets me by. And I don't play any strings that aren't 12-54 to begin with, much prefer 13-56, but that's me.

Yes, they are that good. I can't get enough of them for the 7 guitars that I own, but stepping down to D'Addario Chrome Flats gets me by. And I don't play any strings that aren't 12-54 to begin with, much prefer 13-56, but that's me.

You must have fingers forged of steel, that's heavy string preferences Tuiblue.

Hi Damian - As far as your question about coated strings, I have to answer you two ways. First, they last me a LOT longer, 4-5 times as long, specially the bronze acoustic strings. I had a set on my Taylor jumbo that were a year old and I only changed them because I was getting ready for an Acoustic Guitar Forum jam and felt I should go with new strings. So, yes, they last longer.

Answer two is this... You have to try them to see if you like the tone they provide. I don't hear much difference between coated and non-coated strings, but a lot of people say they do, so if you do, it comes down to whether you like the strings in the first place. If you do, the double price of regular strings is worth it for the extra time they can stay on a guitar. If you don't like the tone in the first place, it's moot.

Thankyou Dennis !!!! Sounds good....Seeing as I own so many guitars, I'll try them out...I'll try them on my electrics as well as my acoustics...I'm starting a new CD, and I'll be needing new strings; a good time to try something new...My Riviera P3 comes in on Friday as well...And apparently another guitar as well...I hope you are well..Thanks for the string info, good to know they aren't a gimmick.......

Archived