Gibson Brands Forums

Multi-Effects vs Single Stomp Boxes

Versatile

I just got a Boss ME 70 which seems to offer great variety in effect options and combinations in a compact package

I'll be introducing it into the 'mix' steadily and might still retain one or more stomp boxes in the chain, such as A/B between 2 amps.....

V

:-({|=

I have a GT10, and I have many stomp boxes, although not as many as I want............I can use the GT10 as a single unit, the boxes with eachother, and or any combo of them all..The GT10 has an effects loop....

I no longer gig, so, I am out of practice in chaining things up.....The more units one uses, the more problems can happen, such as noise, tone loss, muddiness etc etc.........Others will know better how to specifically answer

your specific questions......I'll start by saying, sure, chain them up, and as you learn your ME 70, use less effects in a single chain......You may end up using some boxes in one chain, and the ME70 as a seperate chain.....

I think I'll leave it at that from me for know, as many players here are much more skilled in chains, which should go first, hard bypass versus reg bypass, etc..............I hope this helps as a start..I imagine that this thread will end up

as another GREAT thread full of knowledge............................Damian...

I have limited experience with multi effects, but I find them useful especially when you aren't sure what kind of sound you want.

However, I have to say single stomp boxes give the better sound because they are individually picked out for their specific sound

Fuzzy Fred, I have to agree with your second statement. I once had a Digatech Multi-effects unit and it droove me crazy (guess I'm not

a techno-geek). I find the individual stomp boxes better because as you said, "they are individually picked out for their specific sound" and

I feel if you have to make any adjustments as you're playing, it can be pretty much done on the fly, without having to re program and reset

your sound as on the multi-effects box. Just my personal opinion.

I have both. Spices in the spice rack. Sometimes a man needs more than just salt and pepper.

Maybe some corriander... a little cumin.... some smoky sweet paprika....

My Vox Tonelab LE is highly configurable, once over the learning curve, but I keep the pedal board and a wide variety of pedals because some times it IS faster to dial in a sound with the pedalboard.

I have both. Spices in the spice rack. Sometimes a man needs more than just salt and pepper.

Maybe some corriander... a little cumin.... some smoky sweet paprika....

Same here.....I have an assortment of single pedals and a Line 6 Pod XT Live. I never use them together. Just depends on my mood. I use the pedals if I feel like experimenting with weird sounds.

Same here.....I have an assortment of single pedals and a Line 6 Pod XT Live. I never use them together. Just depends on my mood. I use the pedals if I feel like experimenting with weird sounds.

its kind of like the old debate of digital vs analog....I agree with Fred and have always gone towards a single pedal for that specific sound then combine the one's I have as I see fit.

Okay... from the old guy who remembers when there weren't either kind of "add-ons."

I use a multi-effect. The brand probably isn't significant at all because frankly I found one setting that added a bit of beef to my light strings and that's all I use except the bypass that sets in the built-in tuner and that's it. The thing is, there are several effects combined in that one setting, so... technically if I could have a single stomp box with that setting on it, that'd be a single "effect." I'll also switch pickup settings for different stuff, too. Is that kinda a "stomp box effect" concept or not? I dunno.

I also have a Boss Leslie emulator I use for occasional bluesy-pickin to mostly kinda emulate a B3 part in an ensemble situation. The ideal there is also to have a volume pedal as one would have on a B3. Seldom play it when I'm thinking of playing alone.

Also... sustain? In the old days we did it with a volume pedal. I think that's still preferable because the player controls it more than if he's using any kind of box. But I almost never use the thing and it sits in the corner.

m

Thankyou for the imparted 'knowledge' so far

I tried a low end multi-fx a few years ago and was completely put off by the poor sounds, hissing and generally confusing menus

More recently I have looked again at what is available, as my stomp-box chain has become longer and longer

One attractive feature is the 'knob twiddling' facility on all effect groups...many multi-fx just have a menu screen and switches

And for some reason they often have a flimsy plastic casing with no weight for stability

I am interested in how usable the saved patches will be

The U Tube pro demo for the ME 70 was for me totally inspiring....

V (Stomping at the Savoy)

:-({|=

Well Versitile, that's why I have and use a Boss GT-10...............Top notch..........all quality effects.........many many pre-set and custom patches.........

I love my stompies as well, but, really high end multies are killer items...................

I'll say this. I love my single stomp boxes and will be using them live whenever I can.

HOWEVER

I have plans to get one of the big Vox or Line 6 boards at some time just so I can do everything with it, from metal to super cleans. Those aren't my main ventures, but I would like the versatility to be able to do that

I started out with individual pedals, and I'm glad I did, because I learned a lot about how they work. But I found that they eventually offered both too little flexibility and too much.

Too little: I want my TubeScreamer barely breaking up for one song, just a gentle compression and girth. I want a more modern drive on the next song, with plenty of crunch. So between songs, I'm going to bend over and turn the gain up. But am I going to remember exactly how far up is perfect? (Experience says... apparently not.) Multiply this times even four or five effects, and man - I couldn't keep up. All this without even mentioning that on some songs I would have nearly every effect on the board running, and the very next song only one. Or I'd need three on for a two-bar hook, and then off again for the verse riff.

Too much: Invariably, I would miss the knob or stomp I wanted and engage the "suck" pedal instead.

So, it was too hard to get the sounds I wanted, and too easy to change stuff by accident.

Now, not all music is like that. I was playing stuff a friend was writing, and it had a lot more of the dancing-monkey parts in it than what I play now. So I went to a muli-effect unit - a Boss GT-6, which I still have. One of the best things about it is that it has real knobs for most of the main effects. It's like a current Boss ME, except with all the effects of a GT. So I can twiddle knobs on the fly if I want to (and it makes it much easier to find sounds) but I can also save settings, and change every effect setting I have with one stomp, if I want to.

In terms of value, I own more effects and control pedals (expression, tap temp, etc) for the money than I would have ever bought otherwise. The GT-6 cost me $350. I just figured out a couple months ago that it would cost over $2K to even approximate what I do with "real" stomp boxes. And my music doesn't sound like a space-ship, either (you can check my sig). I'm just spoiled with having four or five different overdrive/fuzz sounds that I like, and multiple delay settings, plus tap-tempo, and noise suppression always available, etc.

A big caveat to all this: I may have tin ears, because the effects this puts out sound just as good to me as anything else I've played. Again, you can check my sig. It is accepted wisdom that single stomp boxes will sound better. I just can't hear it, and so am happily oblivious. [biggrin]

I would add that if you want/need so-so modeling and lots of effects options then the multi-effects pedals are good. I have the GT-10 which is still rated one of the best but I do not use mine anymore as I only got it so I could have a quick throw and go "just a chain of stomps" manual mode only in one compact unit. Even used that way it's still much cheaper than the 7 or 8 stomps it can mimic.

I don't use nor did I particularly even like any of the modeling stuff - just wanted one unit instead of a number of stomps. It works OK for that but perhaps now that I am an old fart [?] I only use about 4 effects in addition to the in amp reverb my Egnater has and even that's rare so I am back to old school of 4 quality stomps, 2 in front and 2 in the loop. Individual stomps made for that particular effect are going to be superior.

So, want/need modeling? = Multi

want/need lots of effects? = Multi

Don't know, still learning? = Multi

Only want/need a few effects and know what they are? = Stomps

my 2c,

I only have multi effects. I have a Korg Toneworks that was given to me, a zoom g7.1ut and even my amp, a zoom fire 30 has effects. I only tend to use either distortion or clean though. However on the g7.1ut Ive customised 4 patches so I have a metal setting, distortion and overdrive setting depending on the position of the foot rocker thing, a clean patch and an acoustic simulator. I find they work great and its just an added bonus that it is the modeller that is able to change patches in the shortest amount of time 9ms.

Archived