Gibson Brands Forums

How long do you think it would take me to learn Fire & Rain?

Gilliangirl

The nice thing about learning great songs like "Fire and Rain" is that the process, once you get it rolling a bit, will keep you inspired.

Then when you finally get your arrangement to the point where its begins to sound "close", you realize that the pay-off is really going to be worth all the time you've spent so far.... and so much more.

Good luck, Karen. This is one of the all-time classic guitar tunes, and a great one to have in your "stable".

Notice I could have used the term "repertoire", but, in your case, the "stable" reference seems very appropriate.

Jack6849

LOL Insert a very gleeful whinny here!

PS I recall, Karen, youve expressed some trouble memorizing chord sequences, so just again a little reminder to listen for the melody notes moving through the high notes of the chords (try arpeggiating--strumming through--the upper strings, rather than the whole chord). Listen for bits of the tune. Hopefully, your ear will pick that up, go "yeh it has to resolve to "G"--what else/"

Yes J, unless it's a really common chord progression, my memory goes on strike! I know what you're saying about the melody notes, and I know this melody so well that I could even sing the notes (probably. This is so far going a long way in putting it together.

unless it's a really common chord progression, my memory goes on strike!
Darn those union cells. There's a few curve balls, not too bad.

For a folkie, JT uses a number of JT blues moves in this song. First line is easy enough: Do up to So (4 steps)and back down La (1 step) then Do (3 steps): I Vm IV I. The next(curve) goes up to So again, then back down one step past Do to LA (a blue-note, like in a 12-bar): its edgey. Hear that "eiiiirr" to it.

I V IV V

A Em7 D A

Just yesterday mornin' they let me know you were gone

I V VII

A E Gmaj7

Susan, the plans they made put an end to you.

The chorus goes from that blue note up to La, backs down to Me, up 3 to So (IV II V) then resolves on Do before repeating. That rising 'Me-S' is a jazzy move, but you hear it country (Mama Tried, chorus "no one could turn me right but mama tried, mama tried") and rock (Honky Tonk Woman, verse: "tried to take upstairs for a ride").

IV II V (I

D Bm7 E7 (A

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,

So basicly JT's working around the ol' I-IV-V with (1 an odd non-resolution in the verse on a blue note (Gm7) and (2 a jazzy rising II-V move (Bm7-E) in the chorus. Note that G7th in the verse is not a resolving note, so it pushes you either back to the "i" (A) in the verse or up to the "iv"(D)like in a blues for the chorus. As the Python skit goes "it woiks, mate, it woiks"

Darn those union cells. There's a few curve balls, not too bad.

For a folkie, JT uses a number of JT blues moves in this song. First line is easy enough: Do up to So (4 steps)and back down La (1 step) then Do (3 steps): I Vm IV I. The next(curve) goes up to So again, then back down one step past Do to LA (a blue-note, like in a 12-bar): its edgey. Hear that "eiiiirr" to it.

I V IV V

A Em7 D A

Just yesterday mornin' they let me know you were gone

I V VII

A E Gmaj7

Susan, the plans they made put an end to you.

The chorus goes from that blue note up to La, backs down to Me, up 3 to So (IV II V) then resolves on Do before repeating. That rising 'Me-S' is a jazzy move, but you hear it country (Mama Tried, chorus "no one could turn me right but mama tried, mama tried") and rock (Honky Tonk Woman, verse: "tried to take upstairs for a ride").

IV II V (I

D Bm7 E7 (A

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,

So basicly JT's working around the ol' I-IV-V with (1 an odd non-resolution in the verse on a blue note (Gm7) and (2 a jazzy rising II-V move (Bm7-E) in the chorus. Note that G7th in the verse is not a resolving note, so it pushes you either back to the "i" (A) in the verse or up to the "iv"(D)like in a blues for the chorus. As the Python skit goes "it woiks, mate, it woiks"

J, I have the guitar in my lap as I type, and I'm going through it. But I'm not making any promises [biggrin] Thanks for sorting through it and writing it down!

I downloaded justin's youtube lesson a few months ago but never got around to trying it until reminded of it by this thread. So I've ben working away at it now. I estimate several months before I can play and sing it with anything resembling competence.

That's a good Taylor song.

My favorites are: "Hey Mister That's Me Up On The Jukebox", "You Can Close Your Eyes" (dig out Linda Ronstadt's covers of these two from LPs "Prisoner In Disguise" and "Heart Like a Wheel", and keep your hankie ready) and "Carolina In My Mind".

Brian

My facial recognition is appalling; if someone is in a different area from what I am used to I am screwed LMAO, luckily my music and shape memory is quite reliable!

Karen,

Are you going to record it so we can all here! This song always makes me so sad. I choked up when he sung the line I always though i'd see you again at the 9/11 concert. Also my wife is called Suzie so that just adds to the wallowing further!

Matt

These were both brand new songs at the time they were performed, and judging by the audiences' apparent lack of recognition, they may well have been hearing both songs for the very first time! Do you suppose those folks will ever forget hearing these then? No place to hide on those stages. Wow. They aren't making 'em like these two giants any more.

Brian

No place to hide on those stages. Wow. They aren't making 'em like these two giants any more.

How true! Just a guitar and a microphone would scare the hell out of these new "artists" these days! For me it's always refreshing to go back and hear the legends like that. It reminds me of how it's supposed to be done and what first inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. And back when singer/songwriter artists actually HAD talent and could actually PLAY an instrument!

OK Karen, how is it going.

I am taking guitar lessons right now so I kind of understand your dilemma. I learned to play guitar with a book of chord diagrams and listening to records in the sixties. They did not have tabs back then or at least I didn't know about them.

My guitar instructor tabs everything and I am having to learn to read tabs which is confusing me to death because I read music. I am starting to get the hang of it now but reading tabs does not come into my brain as music. Tabs are only a location on the fretboard and not notes, yet.

Quit trying to play the tabs by reading and start listening to the song and playing now that you know the general location of the notes on the board. Maybe your ears will teach your fingers where to go quicker than numbers on a sheet will.

Good luck. I know you can do it and I know that tabs are hard for some people, like me, to read.

I've now determined that if you take the time to read all three pages of posts on this thread, that you could have learned the song completely in the same amount of time........

Heheeeee,...good point Wily!!!

Archived