Gibson Brands Forums

How long do you think it would take me to learn Fire & Rain?

Gilliangirl

Okay, I somehow got watching James Taylor tonight and messing around with this tab. It sounds pretty darn good but what an incredibly laborious process. I'm a strummer and a travis picker primarily. But what a great song. I loved it then; I love it now. So what say you? is it worth it? Do I have that much time left (I'm 52)? [biggrin]

GG....THIS IS A GREAT THREAD.....I WAS JUST TALKING TO MY BUDDY, AND HE TOLD ME IT TAKES HIM 100 TRIES TO GET A SONG INTO PERFORMACE MODE. JUST TO "LEARN" THE WORDS AND CHORDS TO A SONG TAKES ME ABOUT 40 TRIES. TO GET THE EMBELLISHMENTS, BASS RUNS DOWN, ETC. TAKES ME ANOTHER 40 AT LEAST, AND IF I DON'T KEEP PRACTICING, I 'LOSE' THE SONG....LOL....I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HOW LONG IT TAKES OTHERS. GG THERE ARE MANY GOOD 'LESSONS' ON YOUTUBE FOR THIS SONG......I LEARN BEST FROM WATCHING.......I LIKE TO WATCH......

Definitely worth it - wonderful melody and beautiful poetic lyrics - which = JT. This is one of my favorite songs ever. As for practice (you probably already know this!), I always learn the song first - strum the chords and sing the lyrics and get the rhythm down - then get to the picken! Time to nail it depends on many factors: primarily your skill level and your degree of focus when practicing. Getting all those picking fingers to work together ain't easy!

Best of luck and please update us with your progress.

LCB

If completely unknown -

Practice chording;

Practice chording and lyrics;

Work out embellishments (base, hammers/pulls, runs, picking/fingerstyle, instrumental/interlude);

Practice chording, lyrics and embellishments;

When you've got it down - polish reps.

That's about 2 to 3 weeks. B)

GG....THIS IS A GREAT THREAD.....I WAS JUST TALKING TO MY BUDDY, AND HE TOLD ME IT TAKES HIM 100 TRIES TO GET A SONG INTO PERFORMACE MODE. JUST TO "LEARN" THE WORDS AND CHORDS TO A SONG TAKES ME ABOUT 40 TRIES. TO GET THE EMBELLISHMENTS, BASS RUNS DOWN, ETC. TAKES ME ANOTHER 40 AT LEAST, AND IF I DON'T KEEP PRACTICING, I 'LOSE' THE SONG....LOL....I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HOW LONG IT TAKES OTHERS. GG THERE ARE MANY GOOD 'LESSONS' ON YOUTUBE FOR THIS SONG......I LEARN BEST FROM WATCHING.......I LIKE TO WATCH......

OWF I've heard that before. No wait, I'VE HEARD THAT BEFORE. icon10.gif No seriously, I've tried that before and I think I need more haha. I just found Justin Sandercoe's version of it so might give it a go.

Definitely worth it - wonderful melody and beautiful poetic lyrics - which = JT. This is one of my favorite songs ever. As for practice (you probably already know this!), I always learn the song first - strum the chords and sing the lyrics and get the rhythm down - then get to the picken! Time to nail it depends on many factors: primarily your skill level and your degree of focus when practicing. Getting all those picking fingers to work together ain't easy!

Best of luck and please update us with your progress.

LCB

Yeah, I've always loved the song but the idea of committing to it (to finally learn it ) seems overwhelming tonight, especially after viewing that tab [biggrin] But yes! Chords first, then start specializing. Thanks LCB

If completely unknown -

Practice chording;

Practice chording and lyrics;

Work out embellishments (base, hammers/pulls, runs, picking/fingerstyle, instrumental/interlude);

Practice chording, lyrics and embellishments;

When you've got it down - polish reps.

That's about 2 to 3 weeks. B)

2 to 3 weeks you think? You don't know me very well, BK! LOL

Seriously, the lyrics I've had memorized since the song first came out, the chords are pretty basic, so it might be do-able!

Karen,

You will pick it up pretty fast. Chords and singing in a week or two and then just start playing around with the picking as you are singing. You will be surprised how quickly it will come together.

You need to make it your own anyway not a JT copy. I have confidence in you.

Karen,

You will pick it up pretty fast. Chords and singing in a week or two and then just start playing around with the picking as you are singing. You will be surprised how quickly it will come together.

I agree...your passion for the song will guide you; you'll learn to play it the way you love it. I learned to play Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song" when I was about 13 because I needed to. And last summer, I got completely re-enamoured with it...and I learned it again.

Seems the old songs we love come back to us much quicker--and much more fully--than we might expect, even as we reach to master them in a new way.

And 52 is oh, so young! But you better get going--when you get to be as old as me (53), the wheels really start to fall off. [laugh]

52? Heck, you've got time to learn dozens of songs and several additional instruments, if that's what you want to do. As for Fire & Rain, I would think it is a matter of how much you concentrate your attention on it, but certainly a month should be plenty of time, unless it is way beyond your current skill level (and I'm doubting that's the case).

I find a lot of times I get a song basically learned, but not polished, and then move away from it for a while. Could be a few days or a few weeks. When I go back to it, I hear some things I want to modify and then, if I really want to make the song mine, I work out the final kinks. Probably other folks do this a bit differently. One nice thing about being an amateur musician is that we are usually under no pressure to learn tunes for a specific performance, so we can afford to let them simmer a while. On the other hand, I know a lot of songs that I would consider 95% of the way to performance quality, and I don't have a lot of drive to get that final 5%.

Like others have said, "Go for it." It's a good feeling to get those "always-wanted-to-sing-that-one" songs mastered.

Constant practice and devotion, I'd say one week! It sounds more difficult than it actually is. The big thing with JT's music is developing that "touch" or "feel" that his music carries. If it ain't there, it just don't work! Good luck! (I know you can do it, Karen!) [biggrin]

The first time you run through the tabs it will seem very difficult if not impossible. But try it a few times the first session, then put it away. Try it again the next day- it will seem easier. Don't work on it for longer than 15 minutes at a time. Certain parts will take longer, but if you keep trying, you'll get it!

The nice thing about learning great songs like "Fire and Rain" is that the process, once you get it rolling a bit, will keep you inspired.

Then when you finally get your arrangement to the point where its begins to sound "close", you realize that the pay-off is really going to be worth all the time you've spent so far.... and so much more.

Good luck, Karen. This is one of the all-time classic guitar tunes, and a great one to have in your "stable".

Notice I could have used the term "repertoire", but, in your case, the "stable" reference seems very appropriate.

Jack6849

PS I recall, Karen, youve expressed some trouble memorizing chord sequences, so just again a little reminder to listen for the melody notes moving through the high notes of the chords (try arpeggiating--strumming through--the upper strings, rather than the whole chord). Listen for bits of the tune. Hopefully, your ear will pick that up, go "yeh it has to resolve to "G"--what else/"

Karen,

I agree, G. That stands for any song, IMO. If we try to do the song EXACTLY like the oroiginal, we will always come up short because the original is the standard. So it's better to put our own spin on it.

I agree...your passion for the song will guide you; you'll learn to play it the way you love it. I learned to play Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song" when I was about 13 because I needed to. And last summer, I got completely re-enamoured with it...and I learned it again.

Seems the old songs we love come back to us much quicker--and much more fully--than we might expect, even as we reach to master them in a new way.

And 52 is oh, so young! But you better get going--when you get to be as old as me (53), the wheels really start to fall off. [laugh]

Anne, I think my wheels started coming off at 46 [biggrin]

I have to go listen to Kathy's Song again now.......

52? Heck, you've got time to learn dozens of songs and several additional instruments, if that's what you want to do. As for Fire & Rain, I would think it is a matter of how much you concentrate your attention on it, but certainly a month should be plenty of time, unless it is way beyond your current skill level (and I'm doubting that's the case).

I find a lot of times I get a song basically learned, but not polished, and then move away from it for a while. Could be a few days or a few weeks. When I go back to it, I hear some things I want to modify and then, if I really want to make the song mine, I work out the final kinks. Probably other folks do this a bit differently. One nice thing about being an amateur musician is that we are usually under no pressure to learn tunes for a specific performance, so we can afford to let them simmer a while. On the other hand, I know a lot of songs that I would consider 95% of the way to performance quality, and I don't have a lot of drive to get that final 5%.

Like others have said, "Go for it." It's a good feeling to get those "always-wanted-to-sing-that-one" songs mastered.

It's definitely within my skill level, but looking at 7 pages of tab is overwhelming [biggrin] Yeah, I hear ya on learning the songs to an acceptable (or less) level, then returning to polish them later, or even continuously returning to them and tweaking them. I struggle to remember what I've done the last time I picked it up, then find myself re-doing some of my own work. I need to write things down. Anyway, I'm forging ahead on F&R. I've got the intro down pat so far.

Archived