Gibson Brands Forums

Question about tomorrow

Tim Plains

Yep. It's like a bank holiday. No school, no mail, no government business shall be conducted.

But shopping.... H*ll yeah. It's America, man! Shopping is how we define our "economy". [biggrin]

In Illinois our schools decide what minor holidays they get off, some schools did not choose this day.

The malls are not only open, but most retailers are having a huge sale today.

And the trash man picked up my garbage today.

Which is quite poignant because Dr. King was in Memphis to address the garbage collectors union when he was assassinated. I watched a few videos from archives of his interviews the other night on youtube. He was brilliant. Sad and embarrassing how condescending and rude the interviewers were. I apologize if too political.

I did not know they were making a movie for it but I'm excited to see how it goes.

Yes, supposedly Peter Jackson finally decided to take it on. I think it needs to be

done. The only movie version is the crappy old animated one!

Yes, supposedly Peter Jackson finally decided to take it on. I think it needs to be

done. The only movie version is the crappy old animated one!

NPR said the dude who plays Gandalf signed on for the Hobbit, that's all I've heard.

NPR said the dude who plays Gandalf signed on for the Hobbit, that's all I've heard.

I just checked the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and it looks like he is still playing Gandalf! [biggrin]

It says filming begins in February so release is probably a couple years away.

Some Southern states still call it Robert E. Lees birthday (observed).....actual birthday 1/19/1807.

I'm glad that MLK Jr has a holiday, he was a great man......but I don't understand why Congress decided to replace Lees b-day with it, considering that after the war he was a major proponent of National reunification, and actually lectured on the benefits of reconstruction, and peaceful re-entry into the union.

It depends upon where you are.

Illinois instituted the holiday back about 20 years ago. Not all states instituted MLK as a legal, state holiday.

Most retail establishments are open. My wife and I were out and about to several communities. No too many schools outside Chicargo were off.

A few years ago the Illinois legislature allowed schools to make their own determination as to whether to take the day off or not. Some cited snow days last month as prompting an in session day for MLK holiday.

Some banks were closed. Most state institutions, universities and such, were closed.

Right now it is hit or miss.

I never knew Robert E. Lee's birthday was celebrated. Must be only a southern thing.

QUICK! When is John F. Kennedy's birthday? Who gets that day off?

In Virginia we celebrated Lee/ Jackson day on Friday and Kings birthday on Monday.Lee–Jackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the USA, for the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904. In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new federal holiday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia. This merge was reverted in 2000.

I guess were the only state left that celebrates it.

In Virginia we celebrated Lee/ Jackson day on Friday and Kings birthday on Monday.LeeJackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the USA, for the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904. In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new federal holiday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia. This merge was reverted in 2000.

I guess were the only state left that celebrates it.

Great Info Steven, thank you!

While not an "official" state holiday, most of Alabama including several county govt's still honor it.

Some see him as "The Seccesh General" while others see him as "The General that stood up against an invading foreign army, and almost won".

My Great Grandfather saw him as the latter, as he served under him in the 6th Va. Cavalry for almost the entire war.

Cpl. Evan James Hughes

GarysCam003.jpg

Since the conflict, every generation of my family has given one male child the middle name of Lee......I'm the carrier of the name, as was my son. [thumbup]

Archived