Gibson Brands Forums

New job? and other guitar related matters

albertjohn

Morning all

There's been a few posts about new guitars etc so I thought I would chip in.

Just before New Year I traded my 2004 Amber Highway 1 Strat for a lovely 1995 Olympic white. I've always wanted a white strat with a maple board. 15 years old and is just beginning to yellow nicely.

Last week I traded my Epiphone Valve Special for a 15W Peavey Windsor. I had used the Epi live a couple of times but with only 5W it was too quiet even for a pub gig.

I was made redundant on 31 Dec and have now received a whole pile of cash in my bank account. [blink] Another Gibson acoustic is really what I want but I'm waiting on a job offer before I go shopping. (I'm expecting written confirmation of an offer in the next couple of days - fingers crossed.)

A J200 is on the list of possibilities but I'm not sure I can live with the size and they are horrendously expensive in the UK (circa £2,400 which is roughly $3,600!!) I need more maple in my life so a J200 would certainly do the trick! My playing partner has a J185 which is a lovely guitar but it's not a J200. I want that Pete Townshend, Noel Gallagher choppy texture and nothing sounds like a J200 to my ears.

The family AJ and I are descending upon Orlando in August for a one-off blow out in Disney et al. I should wait till I'm there I suppose to buy a guitar but in all honesty, there's little chance I'll have the time to go guitar shopping. I suspect once I've paid the export duties etc, I doubt if I'll save much - anyone had any direct experience of doing this?

Hello AJ! I would definetly wait till you get to the States to buy a guitar. You will probably get a much better deal here. As far as export tax, just buy the guitar and claim it wasn't purchased here. Take it home just as part of your luggage! (I won't tell!) And wen you're gonna buy a new Gibby, MAKE TIME!!!!

Morning all

Just before New Year I traded my 2004 Amber Highway 1 Strat for a lovely 1995 Olympic white. I've always wanted a white strat with a maple board. 15 years old and is just beginning to yellow nicely.

Last week I traded my Epiphone Valve Special for a 15W Peavey Windsor. I had used the Epi live a couple of times but with only 5W it was too quiet even for a pub gig.

I was made redundant on 31 Dec and have now received a whole pile of cash in my bank account. [blink] Another Gibson acoustic is really what I want but I'm waiting on a job offer before I go shopping. (I'm expecting written confirmation of an offer in the next couple of days - fingers crossed.)

A J200 is on the list of possibilities but I'm not sure I can live with the size and they are horrendously expensive in the UK (circa £2,400 which is roughly $3,600!!) I need more maple in my life so a J200 would certainly do the trick! My playing partner has a J185 which is a lovely guitar but it's not a J200. I want that Pete Townshend, Noel Gallagher choppy texture and nothing sounds like a J200 to my ears.

The family AJ and I are descending upon Orlando in August for a one-off blow out in Disney et al. I should wait till I'm there I suppose to buy a guitar but in all honesty, there's little chance I'll have the time to go guitar shopping. I suspect once I've paid the export duties etc, I doubt if I'll save much - anyone had any direct experience of doing this?

Is this the one you're after?

http://www.thomann.d...0_studio_an.htm

If it is; it is a good price eh? I have found in the last five years or so, many guitars are similarly priced in the Uk and US (and some times the US is more expensive; because of the ill exchange rate)! Especially Gibsons, which is strange a they are made in the US..

EDIT - I see it is the standard you are after and not the studio - link is useless

Matt

ps Albert

Here is an example of two products (there are loads others I have found too, that are cheaper too

In Musicians Friend, a pretty competitive USA retail chain, look how much the Hummingbird is up for - $3899 (£2459.00)

http://guitars.music...itar?sku=527897

Here is good old Coda music in Stevenage, a small two shop chain (same guitar) £2299.00

http://www.coda-musi...roducts_id=5042

When you think you get hammered over the head 7 percent (or something similar) over the counter, in the States, when you go to pay for it!

Just wondering but if you bring a personal guitar to Orlando with you and your personal guitar is traded for a Gibson how much does that cost when you return with your 'old' new personal guitar to the UK?

<_<

A trade for a 95 Olympic White. Sounds like you got the deal you wanted.

And 15W Peavey Windsor - nice little tube amp with a good sized speaker.

I hope you can find a J200 in your price range. Over the years I've owned several jumbos (currently I've got Martin 45 Dread, a Guild F412 and a J200), and I've never had any shoulder trouble. Actually I've only seen shoulder problems reported here on the forums - I've never run into anyone around here with a problem bad enough to cause a switch to a smaller, shallower bodied guitar. It's most bad backs - lugging equipment and heavy electrics.

So, good luck with the J200 hunt and enjoy Orlando on your holiday.

If it is; it is a good price eh? I have found in the last five years or so, many guitars are similarly priced in the Uk and US (and some times the US is more expensive; because of the ill exchange rate)! Especially Gibsons, which is strange a they are made in the US..

EDIT - I see it is the standard you are after and not the studio - link is useless

Matt

Hey Matt. That's a great find. I'm a sucker for the bling but I do like the confident understatement of the Studio. The J100 is another option but that's mahogany (?)and I really want maple - and lots of it!

I did look at Coda, briefly on t'internet over the weekend. Anecdotally, I reckon the price of the J200 has risen sharply in the last 2 or 3 years, whereas a J45 looks like pretty good value at the moment. It can't all be about exchange rates or the J45 would have risen too. Maybe it's me, but anything over £2k for a J200 standard feels expensive.

I've got plenty of time to research the matter, especially before the new job starts in Feb, so I'll continue to pester here on the Forum.

Hello AJ! I would definetly wait till you get to the States to buy a guitar. You will probably get a much better deal here. As far as export tax, just buy the guitar and claim it wasn't purchased here. Take it home just as part of your luggage! (I won't tell!) And wen you're gonna buy a new Gibby, MAKE TIME!!!!

Make time.hmmmmmm...

4 kids ranging from 6 to 17 and a wife who hates guitars! It's going to be a challenge my friend but (looking adoringly at an imaginary J200 natural in the shop window) "One day, she will be mine!"

I'm going to do some number crunching on the exchange rates, duties and prices etc. I went onto the Guitar Centre website (they have a shop in Orlando) and they proudly advertise very reasonable shipping to the UK.

Just wondering but if you bring a personal guitar to Orlando with you and your personal guitar is traded for a Gibson how much does that cost when you return with your 'old' new personal guitar to the UK?

<_<

Now that's a very good point. I do have a piece of crap Fender acoustic with a hole in it, and a gig bag! My travel guitar could very easily be upgraded to a blond Bozeman beauty.

Hey Matt. That's a great find. I'm a sucker for the bling but I do like the confident understatement of the Studio. The J100 is another option but that's mahogany (?)and I really want maple - and lots of it!

I have a maple J-100xtra (2000). Even if I had the means and opportunity, I can't imagine having the need or desire to trade "up" to a J200, for mine has "the sound," in spades. I like bling and all, but there's plenty of ear-bling for me (and it does have the moustache bridge, so there's that).

As you shop, maybe keep an eye out for one of these...

A trade for a 95 Olympic White. Sounds like you got the deal you wanted.

And 15W Peavey Windsor - nice little tube amp with a good sized speaker.

I hope you can find a J200 in your price range. Over the years I've owned several jumbos (currently I've got Martin 45 Dread, a Guild F412 and a J200), and I've never had any shoulder trouble. Actually I've only seen shoulder problems reported here on the forums - I've never run into anyone around here with a problem bad enough to cause a switch to a smaller, shallower bodied guitar. It's most bad backs - lugging equipment and heavy electrics.

So, good luck with the J200 hunt and enjoy Orlando on your holiday.

Thanks BK. Mrs AJ and I have only visited the USA once before. About 20 years ago, we spent a week with a friend in a small town in the "Hog belt" of Illinois, called Kewanee. We're all looking forward to Orlando. It's a holiday we always promised ourselves when circumstances allowed and thankfully they do for now.

Re the Strat - I had to part with £300 of cash as well as the Highway 1 but I'm delighted with it. It's a beautiful guitar and will be even better when my mate Robbie Gladwell has weaved his magic on it. It's an American Standard and does what a strat is meant to do, nothing more, nothing less - just what I wanted.

The Peavey I got for a great price. They have a few issues e.g. the reverb is shocking but this can be easily changed. I might go for upgraded Celestion speaker too but as it is, it works very well indeed with the strat.

I play sitting mostly and that's why a J200 has always fely a little uncomfortable. I guess it's something I'll have to get used to. I have had wrist issues in the past but they seem to cure themselves with a break in playing.

(I can almost sense TWilson itching to find a keyboard - he'd always come up with a suitable reply about Brits and their wrist problems!! :-" )

I have a maple J-100xtra (2000). Even if I had the means and opportunity, I can't imagine having the need or desire to trade "up" to a J200, for mine has "the sound," in spades. I like bling and all, but there's plenty of ear-bling for me (and it does have the moustache bridge, so there's that).

As you shop, maybe keep an eye out for one of these...

Indeed I will Anne. Thank you very much for your comment.

Now a J100 in maple sounds just the ticket. I know what you mean about "the sound" and that's what I'm really after. Pinball Wizard anyone?

Couple things i would like to add.

Firstly, congratulations on the new job, hope it goes through and great that you had some time off, changed jobs, and got a severance, thats class ! :-)

Now, i would say this. If you plan to go to the US i would seriously look at buying vintage because thats the only place worth looking. When I was in NYC i played many vintage Gibsons and brought back the 69 country western, and we all know how this girl sounds. I would take a day off and go guitar hunting, you will love it.

If thats not an option that Thomann is a great idea. This J-200 Studio is a monster and it was the most impressive model from the ones that are now here in our prague store. If i didnt have the SWD this j-200 studio would be my gig guitar. I found it to be significantly stronger tone than the J-200 standard.

Ill give you another idea ... I will be making a trip to Thomann with the guys from my band in the next couple months, maybe you would like to take a cheap flight to Prague and join us ? As you can see the prices are very competitve.

Matt

Couple things i would like to add.

Firstly, congratulations on the new job, hope it goes through and great that you had some time off, changed jobs, and got a severance, thats class ! :-)

Now, i would say this. If you plan to go to the US i would seriously look at buying vintage because thats the only place worth looking. When I was in NYC i played many vintage Gibsons and brought back the 69 country western, and we all know how this girl sounds. I would take a day off and go guitar hunting, you will love it.

If thats not an option that Thomann is a great idea. This J-200 Studio is a monster and it was the most impressive model from the ones that are now here in our prague store. If i didnt have the SWD this j-200 studio would be my gig guitar. I found it to be significantly stronger tone than the J-200 standard.

Ill give you another idea ... I will be making a trip to Thomann with the guys from my band in the next couple months, maybe you would like to take a cheap flight to Prague and join us ? As you can see the prices are very competitve.

Euroaussie. A trip to Prague would be fantastic but I expect to be gainfully emploted soon, and what with the kids etc, it might be struggle.

However, if you and the band play a J200 etc which you think fits the bill, I would be very interested to know and would be happy to be guided by your expert opinion. Thomann are good value compared to most shops in the UK, even with the shipping costs.

Let me know when you plan your visit and I'll see how things are with me.

Cheers mate.

Will do AJ.

Based on these two sound samples which do you prefer, the stanadard or the studio ?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_j200_studio_an.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_sj200_vs.htm

Euroaussie. A trip to Prague would be fantastic but I expect to be gainfully emploted soon, and what with the kids etc, it might be struggle.

However, if you and the band play a J200 etc which you think fits the bill, I would be very interested to know and would be happy to be guided by your expert opinion. Thomann are good value compared to most shops in the UK, even with the shipping costs.

Let me know when you plan your visit and I'll see how things are with me.

Cheers mate.

Will do AJ.

Based on these two sound samples which do you prefer, the stanadard or the studio ?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_j200_studio_an.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_sj200_vs.htm

Based on those samples - through my crappy computer speakers - I'd say the Standard. Sounds brighter with more of the maple snap. Studio had the better bass sound I would say.

They certainly are and the service is oustanding. I bought my SWD from them when i visited the store and bought many a product since then. They great thing is that they have a 30 day cooling period, so you can take a chance buying unplayed and then return it no questions asked. Great German efficiency ;-)

There you go AJ msp_thumbup.gif The std is $3800 on Musicians friend (£2386.00) and only just over £2200 on EuroAussie's link from Thomann. Thomann prices really are superb!!msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Albertjohn......Condolences about your canning.......Congradulations about possibly having a new job........AND , doesn't that cash just burn a hole in your pocket when guitars are concerned??? Good choice of guitars by the way, J-200 is cool. Let us know how it all works out, and stiff upper lip chap!!!

Morning all

... Musicians Friend, a pretty competitive USA retail chain, look how much the Hummingbird is up for - $3899 (£2459.00)

http://guitars.music...itar?sku=527897 ...

How is 22% off list "pretty competitive"? MAPs are now a significantly larger percentage of list than a few years ago -- to make it easier for small dealers to compete with the giant GC/MF/etc. conglomerate -- so the difference between a good street price and the MAP is much larger than it was. Finding a U.S. dealer who will sell you a Hummingbird TV for $3,000 (i.e., at 40% off list) -- call it £1890 -- is easy. Thomann's advertised prices may be superb by European standards, but they're hardly comparable to prices moderately knowledgeable U.S. buyers pay.

-- Bob R

How is 22% off list "pretty competitive"? MAPs are now a significantly larger percentage of list than a few years ago -- to make it easier for small dealers to compete with the giant GC/MF/etc. conglomerate -- so the difference between a good street price and the MAP is much larger than it was. Finding a U.S. dealer who will sell you a Hummingbird TV for $3,000 (i.e., at 40% off list) -- call it £1890 -- is easy. Thomann's advertised prices may be superb by European standards, but they're hardly comparable to prices moderately knowledgeable U.S. buyers pay.

-- Bob R

msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif cheers to you my friend...

Actually it is nearer to £1900. So just thinking out aloud, if you whack 7 percent of your sales tax on that, for example, that is another £133.00 ($200). So the total ends up as $3200. About £2010.00

I am sorry, but even still, it is not the massive difference it once was! We are talking about getting £190 off on a guitar that is a couple of grand?? My point is America is no longer the bargain place for European visitors it once was...('Just sayin' ... a phrase I got from here ;))

I was shocked when I visited the USA again in the Summer - it struck me almost as unfair (from your point of view), that your own gear produced in your own country, isn't substantially cheaper (and sometimes not cheaper) than for us horrible Europeans LMAO.

Matt

Actually it is nearer to £1900. So just thinking out aloud, if you whack 7 percent of your sales tax on that, for example, that is another £133.00 ($200). So the total ends up as $3200. About £2010.00 ...

Just FYI, there's no need to pay sales tax. First, there are plenty of dealers in states that don't have sales tax. (Buy from Music Villa in Bozeman, and you don't pay Montana sales tax because there is no Montana sales tax.) Second, even in states that do have a sales tax, it doesn't get charged on out-of-state sales. (Buy from Fuller's in Houston while visiting Orlando and you don't pay Texas sales tax. And they'll probably throw in free ground shipping as part of the deal, since they're still making a tidy profit.)

And I'm not saying you can't do better than 40% off. 40% off is simply the standard "Good Deal". Dealer's cost is just over $2500 on that guitar, and I've picked up a few outstanding new Gibsons at significantly less than the dealer's cost. (It may seem counterintuitive, but a dealer can have good reasons to sell below cost. The usual one is that, if a guitar has been sitting around for awhile tying up a dealer's working capital, he may willing to sell at a loss in order to get some money to invest in new stock that he expects to sell at a profit. This is not all that uncommon in retail.) Make a few phone calls, and you may get a price quote from a motivated dealer that is way below $3000.

No doubt, though, that proponents of Free Trade here and there have helped you folks across the pond get much better prices than in Days of Olde.

-- Bob R

No doubt, though, that proponents of Free Trade here and there have helped you folks across the pond get much better prices than in Days of Olde.

-- Bob R

It was once upon a time half price for us! A guitar in dollars was identical to we paid in pounds and the exchange rate once was two dollars to one pound. On a similar note, we (my wife and I) noticed the price increase on general household things, when we stayed with our mates from New Hampshire. Anyway that is to do with boring household things and not guitars so completely unimportant lol

Matt

ps

Best Gibson deal for me was probably getting my 67 Reissue V for £515 a few years back. The shop, Peter Cooks in Hanwell London (I am sure Albert John knows it) had ridiculously cheap prices on Gibson guitars - and music gear in general. Sadly, along with a load of other shops, they stopped stocking new Gibson's

Hi mate

CR*p time for redundancy but then again when is good?

Good to hear things are getting staightened

My son just struggled back from Nashville carrying a PRS went through the red channel at Heathrow and they just waved him through.

He also bought a Tele which a friend of his brought back with exactly the same result

But of course you do have the extreme hassle of carrying an acoustic in a plane hold without proper protection

and then theres the warranty..........

Archived