Gibson Brands Forums

best gibson for metal

schnarz25

any Les paul, SG, X or V with EMG picks

EMG are great, most of the people don't understand that this "neutral" sound they have is a freeway to get hundreds of sounds with the amps and effects

i assume some other brands are great too, but i don't like them

it's all about the sound you want to get

To add a bit after Matt's Explorer <grin>, I'll add that not only playability, but a player's happiness with a given guitar may be more influential than one might imagine. But the same goes for any style of music, too.

m

by the way, what does BFG stand for?

I think it was originally intended as a Roald Dahl signature model.

Nice to see Matt's collection by the way. Where is your new Maccaferri then? Milod is surely right, and Django sounded good whatever he was playing, but even though he was playing electric after the war, the sound of the old petite bouche is second to none for jazz... (Perhaps not quite right for metal though.)

I think it was originally intended as a Roald Dahl signature model.

Nice to see Matt's collection by the way. Where is your new Maccaferri then? Milod is surely right, and Django sounded good whatever he was playing, but even though he was playing electric after the war, the sound of the old petite bouche is second to none for jazz... (Perhaps not quite right for metal though.)

Hi Mojo

It wont be made until 'after the Spring' according to the maker. I of course want to pin him down to a date; because I am very excitable about having one of his guitars! msp_thumbup.gif but it will be done when it is done I suppose...LOL

Yeah I agree Mojo, like you say, he pioneered a new style that is now synonymous with the Maccaferri style guitar. Of the majority of 'name' players that write their own music today, (and continue to utilise 'that sound'), they are producing new and exciting gypsy jazz, for the 21st century. They are certainly not quasi Django Tribute acts , stuck in the 30's and 40's; but rather modern artists continuing a style that Django and the Manouche guitar begun.

Having said that I do agree sometimes people get hung up on having a guitar made to the identical specs of Django. The guitars made by Mario Maccaferri were being altered so much model to model there isn't a definitive model like so many companies flogging them to the public claim in their advertising.

Me and Milo were chatting about this recently and Django played some Epiphone and Gibson guitars too. In face I have a great photo of him in my music room holding an old Gibson acoustic.

I just love that charming manouche twang of the gypsy jazz guitar!! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Matt...

I'm sorry but I have to do this...

RE: "gypsy jazz..."

Matt has some on his youtube page that's exceptional, but he's not so self-promoting as to write about it here. So I will. <grin>

..... As for "metal," again, I'm not a "fan," but I think that too often "we" all have a tendency once a substyle of music is named, to increasingly put that style into a performance style box that limits it, rather than encourages creativity within a genre.

I wonder sometimes how an overdriven solidbody nylon string guitar might sound within some "loud" rock styles, for example... And that is with memories of my own late teen years playing Link Wray's "Rumble" on a classical guitar with semi-rock/semi-classical or Flamenco technique as my girlfriend of the day danced.

Hey, I may be old, I ain't dead, nor have I lost my memory. <grin> But in my "age," I often wonder why I had to trade off the nylon strings and technical development for a long succession of electrics because "rock" and "country" bands "required" them so we could sound like other rock and country bands...

m

whats your guys opinion on this? no,this isn't a which guitar question...I just wanted to see what you guys think

any LP imo, with a set of ernie ball "not even slinky" tuned down to C and a good distortion pedal like the BOSS "metal core 2" or "metal zone"...job done.

p.s don't forget the BOSS ns2 "noise supressor" [biggrin]

I like ripping up some Slayer on my hollowbodies, Same with Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, etc... Why be just like everybody else? I bet it would be great fun to do a jazz gig with a flashy, pointy metal guitar, Like a slime green clear BC Rich or something.

I say the Gibson Explorer,

- exceptional balance,

- perfect upper fret access,

- picking hand rests naturally on the bridge,

- and last but not least killer looks

I would plus you 4x but 1 is the limit. Split the plus I gave you between the upper fret access and killer looks.

Archived