Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite bassists

Lungimsam

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still sticking with Duck Dunn. Who else has this resume?

Muddy Waters, Freddie King, Albert King, Neil Young, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Guy Sebastian, Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan and Roy Buchanan

Who else has played at Monterey Pop in the 60s (backing Otis Redding), Live Aid in the 80s (backing Clapton) and backed everyone as house bassist in Clapton's 2004 Crossroads festival?

At 69 he's still working for Neil Young.

Here's a quick little bio...

+1 McCartney (tone as well as riffs, especially when he got the Rickenbacker pumping in the mid sixties), Duck Dunn (yes Surfpup, and I almost forgot him too, but how could anybody do that? - couldn't forget Booker T, Colonel Cropper or any member of the MGs), Funk Brother Jamerson (his sound is not only the sound of Motown), Wrecker Kaye (early Beach Boys stuff would be enough for the list, but of course there is so much more without having to think about her claims to have played Jamerson's parts Jamerson Kaye Controversy, which may be grounded in her having played second parts on some of the same hits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbrytKn08k), John Paul Jones (too easy to forget that he doubles so many of Page's greatest riffs, and that his playing turns Lemon Song from a great rip-off of everybody else's blues licks into something more), Danko (Ampeg fretless, yeah).

I'd add Calvin 'Fuzz' Jones because he was probably playing the bass for Muddy Waters on the 1970s Buddha 'Blues: a Real Summit Meeting' album which set my expectations of what electric blues should ideally sound like. Not sure whether he can take credit for composing the classic Waters slow blues bass riffs (the triad-and-a-seventh-based ones, not the Mannish Boy variety), because in a way they're such a cliche, but he certainly laid them down thick and heavy in a live situation.

BUT ONLY ONE MENTION OF ENTWHISTLE? Substitute him for many, I say, of whichever generation. John Entwhistle +3.

Now here's the thing. Am I right in thinking that flatwound strings are crucial to the sound of many of the players most listed on this thread? (Not Lemmy's, obviously...)

Archived