Gibson Brands Forums

Depression

Silenced Fred

Depression is (as has been said) not something that you can just shrug off, and it irks me when I hear people say it is or they should be able to. I've met many people who had at one point turned to substances in periods of depression (my uncle, though I never did have the chance to meet him as he took his own life before I was born, story has it he was an incredible guitarist), it's the completely wrong thing to do! Alcohol is a depressant, it slows your heart down, and will (especially the next morn) make you feel like hell! Volunteering is a fantastic suggestion, it's a great feeling helping out, finding a local soup kitchen isn't hard at all, and the rewards far outweigh the time you spend. This thread does have a lot of great suggestions, I find the biking one particularly great (I always would bike up to a beach that is a 3 hour bike ride away, to get away), but never rule out playing your guitar, especially in public. Heck if you get the chance, and you're comfortable with it, go play an acoustic on the sidewalk! I don't need to tell you that performing (even for a tiny crowd) is a thrill. Sometime's all we need is someone to listen, or somewhere to get our emotions out, that's where I often bring in the guitar when I'm feeling down (I've been through long periods of depression, I found shelter in music and oftentimes books). Sometimes we want help, but we don't realize that what may be pulling us down so much, is all we've built up inside. A close friend of mine suffered from severe depression, and attempted to take her life. In the days after she was considerably moody, this lasted basically until I convinced her to start to open up, and to speak her mind, tell me how she's feeling. It worked, if a bit slower than I'd've liked. Therapists are good people, and you shouldn't be stuck into the old belief that they are for "nutjobs" or that you dn't have a problem (or whatever else), they are truly kind people who can be incredibly insightful.

My thoughts

Depression and anxiety go hand in hand. The most important thing about these is realizing that you're suffering from them, and that beating it on your own is damn near impossible, since you're working against your own brain, which is smarter than you are.

One of the easiest things to get sucked into is a loop. You worry about A, which causes B, which brings C around which in turn makes you worry about A again. Identifying when you're in a loop can really help you get out of it.

Keep in mind that admitting you're depressed is the easiest way to start dealing with it, but don't expect willpower alone to be enough to deal with it; your brain is one step ahead of you most times.

I have battled chronic depression and panic disorder since high school, and I talk openly about it. Depression is a serious, serious disease, and don't listen to any ignoramus that considers having it a sign of weakness or not being a man. A couple of thoughts from a man who knows:

1. Could very well be the weather, but Seasonal Affective Disorder is just that: seasonal. Having said that, some people THINK it's SAD but really it is a more chronic form of depression: If most people would be cured by sunshine and warm weather, no one in Los Angeles would need a therapist...

2. Get out and DO THINGS as hard as it might be to get motivated to do so. Set a schedule for yourself and stick to it...an hour for playing the guitar, an hour or two reading the newspaper at the coffee shop, 30 minutes here [biggrin]. Stay busy: The more time you sit idle, the more time you have to convince yourself that your life sucks.

3. It was said before, but it is impossible to over-emphasize the importance of exercise. Start a physical fitness program, schedule it into your weekly routine, and stick to it.

4. CaliMan said it: Volunteer. I volunteer as a Big Brother and it's amazing how doing something like that can lift your spirits, just the act of giving. Plus, you are again keeping busy.

5. I am a proponent of therapy even for mild and seasonal depression. Find a good therapist either through word of mouth or, even better, Angie's List.

6. People may argue a lot about the effectiveness of meds, but they helped me a great deal during my darkest hour. That said, I would only take them if you are not getting any better with all the above methods: Being on meds is a bit of a commitment, and coming off of them is tough and tricky.

7. Get a pet if you can. Seriously. You'd be amazed.

8. Don't go the path of drugs or drink. I am not at all one to say that you can't go out for beers with some friends or have wine with dinner, but don't EVER turn to it as a remedy to your depression. That is a slippery slope.

9. Eat well and try to sleep well, but don't beat yourself up if you have a bad night's sleep or have chicken wings for dinner: just be smart about it.

10. Pray.

[thumbup]

How do you get over it?

Lately, everything just seems stale and a bunch of other stuff.

Just asking

I'll give you a hot tip - turn off the computer, and leave it turned off for a month.

Go out and live life.

Thank me later.

Lots of good advice for you Nathan....I hope it is seasonal.....

Bi-polar, clinical resistant depression and other fun stuff forced an early retirement for me.....

Keep healthy, stay fit, and remember that just being alive is half the battle.......make the other half fun...........

I agree with the 'couch potato' diagnosis

In winter many folks sit around too much

Eat and drink too much

Spend too long staring at a TV or PC screen

Sometimes unavoidable but often contributory to frustration, anxiety etc.

Also too many negative news bulletins can drive one to distraction....

V

:-({|=

This is probably the best advice I've heard yet.

yeah, go out and "Live"...and use your cell phone (computer), drive you car (computer),

use your guitar processor (computer), fill up at the gas station (computer),

and check out, at the grocery store (computer), get a blood test (computer), watch the

game, or concert DVD, on your I-pad, or TV (both, computers). ;>b

WTF happened?! LOL

CB

I'll give you a hot tip - turn off the computer, and leave it turned off for a month.

Go out and live life.

Thank me later.

Computer is a necessary evil for college, I need it for my classes. Too much work is all electronic now. Spending less and less time on it though [thumbup]

A lot of great advice here. Having suffered with mild to full on depression my whole life and panic attacks and low SO and mental illness on both sides of my family, I can say I have been there. Depending on what you are feeling, here are a some things that have kept me alive, literally.

- If you have low self opinion (low SO as Henry Rollins calls it), find some things to do that have goals or measurable progress. Learning to play drums and lifting weights were mine. Weights more so because you can tap into those feelings with your workout mix and get a lot of it out. I recommend Rollins Band End of Silence and Pantera Vulgar Display of Power for your workout mix. Weights are also good if you have that blah, don't feel like doing anything depression (the worst kind. i'd rather feel sad than unmotivated).

- Remember that when life hands you lemons, make lemonade bullshit? **** THAT! I say give me more lemons. Whenever I am in the deepest, darkest depression I find I play music with exponentially more expression and feeling. In other words, embrace your depression as fuel for your art. Sad? Reach for your guitar. Music is a healthy escape and great release for those emotions. Being a freak and always feeling like round peg in a square hole, the feeling of belonging when playing with other musicians is a huge boost for me. So jamming out is good too.

- Self medicating. Been there, done that, and I don't recommend it. The one exception is coffee. Caffeine in moderate doses is a good mood lifter and motivator.

Good luck, brother. I hope you feel better. Feel free to drop me a line if you ever need to talk or whatever.

IMO exercise is your best friend.

I play basketball. And I find when I do this regularly (or any type of cardio exerise)I rarely feel in kind of depression. It also helps me sleep. Pets can also lift you out of down times.

Exercise, playing my guitars, and my cat do more for my mental health than anything I know of.

i know how you feel. I lost my job almost a year ago, and can't find anything. now it looks like the Les Paul that I finally got last year, before I became unemployed, will have to go.

I already got rid of my 2 strats and my 2 epi's.

it's hard, but you just have to keep on going.

Depression is (as has been said) not something that you can just shrug off, and it irks me when I hear people say it is or they should be able to. I've met many people who had at one point turned to substances in periods of depression (my uncle, though I never did have the chance to meet him as he took his own life before I was born, story has it he was an incredible guitarist), it's the completely wrong thing to do! Alcohol is a depressant, it slows your heart down, and will (especially the next morn) make you feel like hell! Volunteering is a fantastic suggestion, it's a great feeling helping out, finding a local soup kitchen isn't hard at all, and the rewards far outweigh the time you spend. This thread does have a lot of great suggestions, I find the biking one particularly great (I always would bike up to a beach that is a 3 hour bike ride away, to get away), but never rule out playing your guitar, especially in public. Heck if you get the chance, and you're comfortable with it, go play an acoustic on the sidewalk! I don't need to tell you that performing (even for a tiny crowd) is a thrill. Sometime's all we need is someone to listen, or somewhere to get our emotions out, that's where I often bring in the guitar when I'm feeling down (I've been through long periods of depression, I found shelter in music and oftentimes books). Sometimes we want help, but we don't realize that what may be pulling us down so much, is all we've built up inside. A close friend of mine suffered from severe depression, and attempted to take her life. In the days after she was considerably moody, this lasted basically until I convinced her to start to open up, and to speak her mind, tell me how she's feeling. It worked, if a bit slower than I'd've liked. Therapists are good people, and you shouldn't be stuck into the old belief that they are for "nutjobs" or that you dn't have a problem (or whatever else), they are truly kind people who can be incredibly insightful.

My thoughts

This. OP, if you feel like you have a depression, get in and talk to a counselor. At the very least, they will be able to guide you in the right direction. Clinical depression is not something that you can just "shake off." Getting a proper diagnosis should be your first step. There's lots of good help out there.

There's sadness and there's depression. They are qualitatively different. for sadness, a variety of things can help, including getting out more, engaging with other people, and seeking out things you enjoy doing while still meeting responsibilities. Clinical depression is a different, and considerably more serious issue. While exercise, proper sleep, and avoiding alcohol are all good advice for serious depression, they may not be enough. Seeing a professional is really the way to go. Professionals aren't magic but they do have skills and tools that can help a great deal. Depression is far more common than most people realize and should not be take lightly. If you had pneumonia, what would you do -- tough it out or seek professional advice and help? Well, depression can be far more serious than pneumonia. Part of the difficulty is that it can affect your judgment, make you feel that you are to blame for your own shortcomings, and that you're not worthy of anything good. You can lose interest in things that you used to enjoy. These signs are more than a case of the blues -- they may be indicative of a serious problem that is potentially dangerous but also treatable.

If you're in college, you probably have access to counseling services. Take advantage of that. Knowing that someone with expertise is in your corner can help a lot in and of itself. Obviously, effective treatment goes beyond that and may involve a variety of approaches including making some manageable life changes, talking through some issues, or finding a medicine that helps. Depression can also get better on its own but assuming that this will happen isn't a great idea. It may get better or it may get worse. Like any serious health problem, it warrants some serious attention and treatment. If it's persisted for more than a couple of weeks, it may be time to get some professional advice.

Everyone has a right to feel happy and to enjoy the pleasant things around them. None of us will feel great all of the time but it's perfectly reasonable to take great pleasure in certain activities, friendships, things of beauty, and our own accomplishments, even the small ones. Something as simple as enjoying a good meal or a fantastic piece of music is not an unreasonable expectation. If necessary, get the help needed to allow you to enjoy these things and to feel better more generally.

There's sadness and there's depression. They are qualitatively different. for sadness, a variety of things can help, including getting out more, engaging with other people, and seeking out things you enjoy doing while still meeting responsibilities. Clinical depression is a different, and considerably more serious issue. While exercise, proper sleep, and avoiding alcohol are all good advice for serious depression, they may not be enough. Seeing a professional is really the way to go. Professionals aren't magic but they do have skills and tools that can help a great deal. Depression is far more common than most people realize and should not be take lightly. If you had pneumonia, what would you do -- tough it out or seek professional advice and help? Well, depression can be far more serious than pneumonia. Part of the difficulty is that it can affect your judgment, make you feel that you are to blame for your own shortcomings, and that you're not worthy of anything good. You can lose interest in things that you used to enjoy. These signs are more than a case of the blues -- they may be indicative of a serious problem that is potentially dangerous but also treatable.

If you're in college, you probably have access to counseling services. Take advantage of that. Knowing that someone with expertise is in your corner can help a lot in and of itself. Obviously, effective treatment goes beyond that and may involve a variety of approaches including making some manageable life changes, talking through some issues, or finding a medicine that helps. Depression can also get better on its own but assuming that this will happen isn't a great idea. It may get better or it may get worse. Like any serious health problem, it warrants some serious attention and treatment. If it's persisted for more than a couple of weeks, it may be time to get some professional advice.

Everyone has a right to feel happy and to enjoy the pleasant things around them. None of us will feel great all of the time but it's perfectly reasonable to take great pleasure in certain activities, friendships, things of beauty, and our own accomplishments, even the small ones. Something as simple as enjoying a good meal or a fantastic piece of music is not an unreasonable expectation. If necessary, get the help needed to allow you to enjoy these things and to feel better more generally.

Great comment there. I've been there. No, I've BEEN there. The real deal. I could not do anything. All the advice here (except for two) would not, did not work for me. I had friends who told me to go out and do this and that, on and on.

I lost interest in the things I loved. I used to play basketball till midnight four times a week, worked out like a madman. In HS I benched 300lbs and didn't play team sports. In college I maxed out at 390lbs cos I just liked working out.

So, when the depression hit, I lost the drive. I lost interest in playing guitar. For 9 years I didn't play. I was in a deep hole.

The only thing to do was to survive. I knew I needed help and went and got it. To make a long story short, The 2 things that turned me around, where talk therapy and medication.

I suffered from severe clinical depression. My brain was triggered by a very stressful situation and I was never the same. Over the years, I was finally to get on my own 2 feet and be fully functional. Today, I realize that what really kept me from taking my own life many times, were the prayers of my family.

What helps today is my wife, my job, my family, having fun, having a sense of humor, helping others, cooking, walking, my animals, and of course playing guitar.

But, the truth of it all was that God had a purpose and a plan for me all along. I'm the opposite of what I used to be. I'm outgoing, helpful in the areas I know, etc... I enjoy playing the guitar and it's all because of Jesus.

I'm not sure what prompted me to share my story. I guess I only hope it helps some people.

I'm hoping the OP feels better and it's only a seasonal thing.

Thanks for the support again to everyone who has posted. For whatever reason, I was able to accept and "embrace" that I have depression. Right now, I'm not really sure if its seasonal, temporary, clinical, etc. I've just been taking everything day by day trying to figure stuff out. My friends, and some of you on here, have been major helps. If it persists at the rate it has been, I will go get help. What has helped the most is just talking because for so many years, I just held everything in. I never let all of these emotions out and because I am letting them out, it has been helping out a ton. My mom used to be a nurse in the psych ward, and her friend always used to say "the only difference between them and us is one good friend". That really hit home with me, and my friends have been lifesavers.

After a near sleepless night, I decided that I have to move forward no matter what. So I'm not focusing on the stupid little **** of every day life that sucks, I'm doing what I can to help myself and help others. I have not listened to the Black Keys in a very long time and just started cranking out their songs yesterday. It helped and made a lot of things better. Wrote a song that is very heavily based on early Black Keys. Got coffee this morning, helped a girl carry a whole bunch of stuff to her class and now, I'm just going to enjoy the day by playing guitar, writing poems and living life after I get out of class today and hopefully enjoy some of this delicious weather outside [thumbup]

So for those that are wondering, I'm not over it, but I'm getting over it (I think)

Keep on keepin on

Yeah, part of dealing with it is admitting to yourself that there is something there.

Just to break stigmas, here are famous people (very intelligent, creative, etc...) with depression.

Mike Wallace – News journalist and correspondent of TV show “60 Minutes.” He was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1984 (after being sued for libel). Wallace had experienced severe depressive episodes, but has overcome them with therapy and antidepressant medication.

D*ck Clark - Host of “New Year's Rockin' Eve,” “American Bandstand.” Clark was interviewed about his experience with depression in the book, “On the Edge of Darkness” by Kathy Cronkite.

Sting (Gordon Sumner) – Former lead singer, bassist of the rock group The Police and successful solo artist. While writing his memoir, “Broken Music,” Sting fell into a depression that lasted for two years.

Billy Joel – Musician, singer, songwriter. Some of his well known hits include “Piano Man,” “Just the Way You Are,” “It’s Still Rock & Roll to Me,” “My Life.” In the 1970s, Joel experienced serious depression and admitted himself into a hospital for treatment after attempting to end his life by drinking furniture polish.

Sheryl Crow – Singer, musician with hits such as “All I Wanna Do,” “Everyday Is A Winding Road.” In an interview with “Ladies’ Home Journal” magazine (April 2003), Crow discussed having chronic depression since she was a child. In the late 1980s, Crow had a period of depression after touring with Michael Jackson. Her depression was helped by antidepressants and therapy.

Robbie Williams – British pop singer and songwriter (“Millenium,” “She’s the One,” “Eternity / The Road to Mandalay,” “Radio”). Williams has struggled with reoccurring episodes of depression. In September 2006, Williams cancelled part of his tour to Asia to receive treatment.

Terry Bradshaw – Former quarterback for the football team, Pittsburgh Steelers. In the late 1990s, Bradshaw was diagnosed with clinical depression and began taking antidepressants (Paxil). (Bradshaw also had panic attacks after games.)

Leo Tolstoy – Writer of novels such as “War and Peace,” “Anna Karenina.” Tolstoy started to experience depression while writing the latter book.

Buzz Aldrin – Astronaut (along with Neil Armstrong) who walked on the moon in 1969. Aldrin’s depression began shortly after going to the moon and eventually was hospitalized. He recovered with the help of psychotherapy and depression medicines. Aldrin describes his depressive experience in his book, “Return to Earth.”

Source: depression-help-resource.com

Nathan...good to know that you're on the mend there. Seriously, I have nothing but the highest of hopes for you.

As for me, I met with a counselor today at my school's wellness center. Apparently my depression is particularly severe.

She wants me to see a psychiatrist immediately. She thinks I need medication and periodic consultation.

She also wants weekly meetings with me.

Well, while I'm not overwhelmingly happy with the results (I think there's going to be a very long, difficult road ahead) I think these are all steps in the right direction and, while I know that neither medication nor counseling are magic solutions...if they can cut the severity of my depression down in any way, it'll be better than the alternative.

I think that the advice given here is good, but I will say that, having tried a lot of it (including regular exercise and dietary monitoring,) a lot of the "simple lifestyle change" options simply don't work if your depression is severe enough. I can only hope that you're better off than I am and that you'll be able to handle it. Remember that there's no shame in taking counseling or therapy (despite what some members might say,) and if you need it it's always there--there's no shortage of well-trained professionals just waiting to help, and the best part is that they've heard it all before so they have an idea of how to help you that most laypeople won't necessarily be able to provide.

Hoping that things get better for you,

Jon.

Nathan...good to know that you're on the mend there. Seriously, I have nothing but the highest of hopes for you.

As for me, I met with a counselor today at my school's wellness center. Apparently my depression is particularly severe.

She wants me to see a psychiatrist immediately. She thinks I need medication and periodic consultation.

She also wants weekly meetings with me.

Well, while I'm not overwhelmingly happy with the results (I think there's going to be a very long, difficult road ahead) I think these are all steps in the right direction and, while I know that neither medication nor counseling are magic solutions...if they can cut the severity of my depression down in any way, it'll be better than the alternative.

I think that the advice given here is good, but I will say that, having tried a lot of it (including regular exercise and dietary monitoring,) a lot of the "simple lifestyle change" options simply don't work if your depression is severe enough. I can only hope that you're better off than I am and that you'll be able to handle it. Remember that there's no shame in taking counseling or therapy (despite what some members might say,) and if you need it it's always there--there's no shortage of well-trained professionals just waiting to help, and the best part is that they've heard it all before so they have an idea of how to help you that most laypeople won't necessarily be able to provide.

Hoping that things get better for you,

Jon.

PM sent.

Thanks for the advice, and I do hope the best for you. If you feel anything like I do... my heart goes out to you. It really does

Archived