Gibson Brands Forums

Is your LP male, female, hermaphrodite or just a lump of pretty wood?

Ren

Dear Forum,

Just a bit of fun...

Many on this forum refer to their LPs as female and many give them names.

Must admit I've never thought of any of my LPs as female. In fact electric guitars seem altogether male to me with a great long neck seeming to model as a penus extension (I'm sure most guitar adds featuring name players always holding their instrument in some provocative manner supports this...)

So for me, although I dearly love my Gibsons, I'm afraid they remain rather hermaphrodite - definitely alive with soul but rather above male of female.

I wonder what others think?

cheers,

I guess mine have been just guitars until I bought the Les Paul. Definitely a more feminine shape. The wife thinks of her as "Leslie" not "Lester".

I named my guitars...

"The Strat"- 1983 Fender Elite

"The 12 String"- Hondo 12 string acoustic

"The bass"- LTD F-104

sensing the trend? [-o<

So' date=' your wife names your guitars after women. Not sure if that's dangerous or not...?[-o< [/quote']

She has the right, she gave her to me [-o<. She hasn't named the rest, to the best of my knowledge.....

and frankly... she can name them all she wants as long as she keeps buying them for me!

So for me' date=' although I dearly love my Gibsons, I'm afraid they remain rather hermaphrodite - definitely alive with soul but rather above male of female.[/quote']

I have to admit I hadn't thought about it much, but I believe you have summed it up for me also.

In Spanish everything has a gender... The article you use before the noun usually identifies the object as masculine or feminine. I.E. the table = la mesa, feminine... The book = el libro, masculine... La = feminine and el = masculine. So in Spanish it is quite clear that a guitar is feminine... la guitarra.

On the other hand I have always felt that a guitar is masculine... Power chords, ripping leads... etc.

In Spanish everything has a gender... The article you use before the noun usually identifies the object as masculine or feminine. I.E. the table = la mesa' date=' feminine... The book = el libro, masculine... La = feminine and el = masculine. So in Spanish it is quite clear that a guitar is feminine... la guitarra.

On the other hand I have always felt that a guitar is masculine... Power chords, ripping leads... etc.[/quote']

Yeah... but your shirt is a girl and your pants are a guy in Spanish, too....

"... una cosa me da risaaaaa

Pancho Villa sin camisaaaaa....."

sorry for th brief musical interlude.

No names. Mine are hunks of wood. I don't refer to them as "she" or "her" either - so no gender. I named a guitar after a girl once. It ended badly, and I ended up hating a good guitar. Shoulda never named it! It won't happen again.

OK people, now for a different spin on this...

Given that both your guitar and amp require a double ended "male" plug to make them work, does that mean to make beautiful music you're actually dealing with 2 hot girls and a "double adaptor" to rock out???

Have I just thought about this just a little too deeply?...

All my guitars are girls,

Milly - an LP Classic, 2000 buile (turn of the millenium, get it???)

Vera - a Flying V

Agnes - a reverse V, a flipped V looks a lot like an A, you work out the rest

Julie, a strat named after my wife, she bought it for me

Gypsy, an ES137, way too long a story how she was named

I think I'm late for my medication!!!...

Some great replies guys. I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read...

I wish I had a female Les Paul and a male Les Paul because I would breed them and sell the little Les Pauls to you guys. Who wants to buy the little Heritage Cherry Sunburst?

I've got a little boy of 14 months, so can get a bit emotional over things like that. Just imagine a little LP making it's first squeeks through a practice amp - Ah!!!

The 'my guitar's female' seem to be winning so far. Anyone know how to set this up as a poll?

Archived